Bill Curry's Thoughts

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
upload_2019-9-18_13-16-57.png

I have to disagree with this, if being critical of the play calling or the preparation or the results means "you don't love them." We should be allowed to be critical, mainly of the coaches, without believing that somehow this means we don't "love" our team. So, I get what he is trying to say, but I don't agree.

There is NO fanbase of any college team that doesn't criticize what they see as problems with coaching and/or strategy/play calling. Kum ba ya, y'all, kum ba ya.

So, if we don't criticize, the coaches will call a better game? If we don't criticize, the players will execute the game plan better? What?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think he just means don't bash them. It's Curry. His whole persona is inspirational, positive stuff and never saying a critical word of anyone.

I am "black and white", and I don't try to interpret meaning, other than the words that are used. He said we cannot be critical - that is beyond "bashing". By the way, a performance like Saturday deserved some bashing. And, it appropriately received some. When PJ lost to MTSU, he got bashed as well.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I am "black and white", and I don't try to interpret meaning, other than the words that are used. He said we cannot be critical - that is beyond "bashing". By the way, a performance like Saturday deserved some bashing. And, it appropriately received some. When PJ lost to MTSU, he got bashed as well.

See, you're an engineer and I'm an arts and humanities guy. :) But again, it's Curry. lol. The man is a walking Hallmark card.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 6741

I have to disagree with this, if being critical of the play calling or the preparation or the results means "you don't love them." We should be allowed to be critical, mainly of the coaches, without believing that somehow this means we don't "love" our team. So, I get what he is trying to say, but I don't agree.

There is NO fanbase of any college team that doesn't criticize what they see as problems with coaching and/or strategy/play calling. Kum ba ya, y'all, kum ba ya.

So, if we don't criticize, the coaches will call a better game? If we don't criticize, the players will execute the game plan better? What?

To be fair, this was actually the second draft of his tweet. The first one began:
I have been critical of only one GT coach: Bill Curry. And it was richly deserved. That dude lost to an FCS team from South Carolina. Unforgivable! Beyond that I back our teams to the hilt -- Always! ...
For some reason he decided to delete the middle part.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Growing up, Bill Curry was the coach who gave me hope. He was the coach that beat Alabama and tied Tenn. Then he left

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 6741

Bill is losing his mind. He took a lot of criticism and as a result, was schooled in coaching football by Bobby Dodd. Criticism is the friction that helps produce winners. Like sand in an oyster ...

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Agreed. These multi-millionaire coaches are a bunch of snowflakes if they can't take fan criticism.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. These multi-millionaire coaches are a bunch of snowflakes if they can't take fan criticism.

In Bobby Dodd's day, coaches were paid a percentage of the attendance. The responsibility to fill the stadium with a good product was the coach's and reflected both the schedule and the performance. Now, they are paid kazillions and insulated. I know for a fact that Collins told Brent Key not to get on any message boards Sunday morning because it might be demoralizing. Do you think?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
In Bobby Dodd's day, coaches were paid a percentage of the attendance. The responsibility to fill the stadium with a good product was the coach's and reflected both the schedule and the performance. Now, they are paid kazillions and insulated. I know for a fact that Collins told Brent Key not to get on any message boards Sunday morning because it might be demoralizing. Do you think?

This might not be true, but it was also rumored that certain twitter accounts (from following) were deleted (by CGC or other coaches) due to "negative" comments. Yes, that would be "snowflakish". Although, I would agree that those comments are better left on a site like this, since so many of our recruits are twitter followers.

Now, if someone is going over the line using foul language or threatening in any way, I would be the first to say they need to be ostracized and punished, but that is not what we are dealing with mainly - it is mostly just harsh criticism of the coaching performance and historical significance of such a bad loss.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Isn't Curry even "worse" than Paul Johnson, because Curry didn't just "quit" (i.e., retire), Curry -- a Tech man -- left to go coach at, of all places, Alabama?

;)

Hard to say. Dodd encouraged Curry to quit and take the Alabama job. "You'll never win at Georgia Tech" … or something to that effect.