Bill Curry's Thoughts

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, yes. And I work in a field that is subjective. When a reviewer for BuzzFeed writes an article about how much I suck(it’s happened) it’s because they don’t like something I’ve made. Cool, but it’s subjective. It made a profit. It couldn’t have been THAT bad, but there’s no right or wrong answer. Football isn’t subjective. You win or you lose. We’re losing and looking bad while doing it.

Well, I'm an engineer and if someone was criticizing my work that had never engineered a project I wouldn't take them serious. I would just laugh and walk away. Life is too hard to deal with crap like that.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Constructive criticism is the pathway to improvement. Always has been and always will be. You should crave constructive criticism. How much is constructive and how much isn’t is up for debate, but blindly banning criticism is weak. I mean, hell, If anything, the people defending the coaches are being more disrespectful to the players(we have no talent yada yada).
Yeah, I'm not really sure why criticism is such a supposedly harsh penalty after a loss like this. You should want some criticism. If nobody is criticizing then no one cares.

RabidJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought it was basically/generally "understood" by Tech fans that this transition was going to be painful and that this 1st season would have a lot of low points in it. Yeah, this game was definitely a REAL low point but there WILL be others this season. Be realistic and support the transition--don't make it more difficult by being totally negative. It's gonna be rough going forward but "when the going gets tough the tough get going" (heard that somewhere in the past--LOL). Seriously, support the coach and team--otherwise, this season will really be a lost cause.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, let me get this straight, if we criticize any facet of the games from here on in this season, including the one that just happened, "the season will really be a lost cause", and it will be because of the respectful criticism?

I am so confused by those that want to shut down any critical comments, and they try to correlate on field performance and results to that criticism. I work with people that don't understand causality, and I really get frustrated by people with a lack of common sense. "just chill out" is not going to make us successful, and "that was a bad play call" is not going to make us unsuccessful. We will be successful based on our coaching preparation, our game day execution, our play calling, our talent level, and our game planning and adjustments.

Return of Jac

Banned
I thought it was basically/generally "understood" by Tech fans that this transition was going to be painful and that this 1st season would have a lot of low points in it. Yeah, this game was definitely a REAL low point but there WILL be others this season. Be realistic and support the transition--don't make it more difficult by being totally negative. It's gonna be rough going forward but "when the going gets tough the tough get going" (heard that somewhere in the past--LOL). Seriously, support the coach and team--otherwise, this season will really be a lost cause.

I think some have already jumped ship. Also, there are fans who didn’t like the hire or are still upset with Johnson leaving and were probably somewhat happy with the loss so they could feel justified with their feelings.

I agree, negativity is not going to get us anywhere, anyone who was realistic knew this season was going to be tough, didn’t expect them to lose to The Citadel but that is why the games are played. Allegedly, some players admitted to overlooking The Citadel and hopefully they learned from that mistake.

Now if a result like this happens in a couple of years then the calls for the coach to be fired and question the hire will be justified but honestly right now it is just doltish.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Right... your comment is good; but my point was only from the coaching staff's perspective. I'd hope if folks aren't doing as you suggest... keeping it on sites like this... coaches should delete negative stuff... doesn't (necessarily) mean its snowflake-ish.

For the record... recruits probably read sites like this too.

I think they might read these sites but for sure their parents do. We have heard from at least two of them in this year’s class, alone. Just pointing out that fact. Not telling anyone how to act.

RabidJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I wasn't addressing "criticism" per se, (obviously, it certainly has it's place in the right context)--I am calling out all the frantic-doomsday folks who seemingly are "abandoning ship" due to Saturday's debacle. I have been a Tech fan for over 70 years and have seen a LOT of up and downs. Haven't jumped ship yet. Yes, sometimes it is very hard to keep the faith but Tech fans have to be VERY thick-skinned.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
So, let me get this straight, if we criticize any facet of the games from here on in this season, including the one that just happened, "the season will really be a lost cause", and it will be because of the respectful criticism?

I am so confused by those that want to shut down any critical comments, and they try to correlate on field performance and results to that criticism. I work with people that don't understand causality, and I really get frustrated by people with a lack of common sense. "just chill out" is not going to make us successful, and "that was a bad play call" is not going to make us unsuccessful. We will be successful based on our coaching preparation, our game day execution, our play calling, our talent level, and our game planning and adjustments.
I agree, but none of those success factors have much to do with the fan base. We overestimate our importance sometimes. I think right now the most important thing we can do as fans is to show up at BDS and support the team when the Tarholes roll into the 404.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've stayed away from the Football section for most of 4 days.

I think we need to be quiet and accept what is. I say that for two reasons.

First, it does little good to ***** 2 games in. Give the guy 3 years and then let go with the criticism. I recognize this is the worst loss in decades. I don't know if he is going to work out. But TStan did think so and he has done well by the baseball team. I really hope it works out.

Second, focusing on the negative aspects in your life makes you negative. I am guilty of that (as are most engineers). I am much happier focusing on things that make me happy. Verbalizing (or typing) my frustration with how the team is doing damages me as much as others; maybe not for others. Football for me is entertainment, so why entertain yourself with things that piss you off? What is important at the end of the day is how the players are prepared for life. I don't know a single GT coach in history who hasn't tried to take care of the players.

Go Tech.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Do you have to deal with "critics" that have no idea what they are talking about? Do you have to listen to people who use hyperbole to make you look worse without any context and not based on reality? That's what we are dealing with here.

All the time. You get used to it pretty quick and learn to dismiss the ignorant rather quickly.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Yep, and if you asked him about criticism of coaches, etc., he'd likely tell you the degree of criticism at GT pales compared to what happens in Tuscaloosa
Yeah GT fans don't throw bricks through your window like the Alabama fans did to Bill's office in 1989 after he lost his 3rd straight game to Auburn