Biggest holes to fill O&D 2019

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We have a good start on D. Remember all the current players were recruited for 4-3. As states depth will be an issue on the line but has been for a long time.

Offense has too many question marks. Scheme will depend on many answers to those.

Zone schemes with RPO will still be very familiar to Graham and fresh to Yates.

You may see a Jaybo Shaw like use of Yates because he comes in ready to run those packages. Is he ready... not sure. But a great true freshman at quarterback is not uncommon today.

I believe like so many others, when we see who the OC is and hear the spin from CGC on expectations for next year we will have a lot more fun on our own Roster MGMT.

Until then based on what we know and a Zone/RPO scheme this could be a servicable starting lineup. I am listing all these backs because at times I believe we could see three back sets out of a diamond formation just because of personnel.

QB. Yates/Graham
RB. Benson/Howard/Mason/Cottrell
FB/HB/TE Davis/Deveney
WR: Camp, Carter
C: Cooper
G: Braun/Hanson
G: Defoor/Clark
T: Quinney
T: Southers

Don't claim expertise on whether or not Yates will be ready but one thing is for sure that young man has the IT factor. I cannot qualify it or explain it but when I see it I know it. Get it? He might need to be ready sooner than later depending upon how the James Graham academic issues are resolved or not. Heaven knows we probably will need both of them as Lucas has shown a tendency to be a little bit injury prone.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
1. DL, LB, and WR (all tied)
2. True dual threat QB (hopefully, Lucas or someone will be that)
3. OL pass blockers (probably need more size here)

It really is a difficult thing, talent and size wise, to come into. I would bet that there are many G5 schools with better front 7's and better WR corps than our current.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

It really is a difficult thing, talent and size wise, to come into. I would bet that there are many G5 schools with better front 7's and better WR corps than our current.

Lol you guys are funny

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer

Hopefully Wimbush will transfer to GT and that would take care of quarterback in 2019

slugboy

Staff member
1. LB. no explanation needed
What are you looking for? Tough, big, runstopping MLB? Fast Attaochu guy on the outside? All of the above?

You've made more comments on what the middle LBs did this year, if I remember correctly. I think you might go for all of the above, though.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What are you looking for? Tough, big, runstopping MLB? Fast Attaochu guy on the outside? All of the above?

You've made more comments on what the middle LBs did this year, if I remember correctly. I think you might go for all of the above, though.

So who can and willing to make a play

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well, if anyone would know it would be our resident expert on all things pertaining to defense Mr. Ballin. That said, size is one thing, talent and coaching is something else. I don't know we are lacking size but we have been pushed around a plenty lately.

We haven’t been pushed around so much as run around imo. We were strong at the point of attack. We were weaker on the edges and in space. We need speed more than size on the front. At linebacker we need both.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We haven’t been pushed around so much as run around imo. We were strong at the point of attack. We were weaker on the edges and in space. We need speed more than size on the front. At linebacker we need both.
Yep. I attribute that to the 3 - 4 more then anything else. As was mentioned above, our present crew was recruited for a 4 - 3. With four DLs I'm betting we would have done a better job setting the edge in our favor.

But we'll see soon enough. The material for a right decent front 4 and adequate reserves is there. You're right about LB, however. This is one reason why I don't think a move to RB is in BJS's future unless we suddenly find ourselves with multiple injuries/transfers from our present crew of BBs.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
I
I'm sorry I can't buy into that again this coming year. You do remember that Scott Morgan graduated in Dec, not sure if he will be back. Matthew Morgan the younger bother could be good with time but don't see it this year he was a walk-on very smart Majoring in chemical and biomolecular engineering. But every year we talk about the OL being our strength but it don't pan out. I did not see any game where I saw good pass blocking. Maybe it was piss poor coaching and our new OL will help.
Sewak gone.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yep. I attribute that to the 3 - 4 more then anything else. As was mentioned above, our present crew was recruited for a 4 - 3. With four DLs I'm betting we would have done a better job setting the edge in our favor.

But we'll see soon enough. The material for a right decent front 4 and adequate reserves is there. You're right about LB, however. This is one reason why I don't think a move to RB is in BJS's future unless we suddenly find ourselves with multiple injuries/transfers from our present crew of BBs.

I’m probably totally nuts but for some reason I think Howard would be an excellent LB and BJS might kill it at tail back.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Probably so. More speed a t linebacker is critical as is more quality depth on both lines. We really need a bell cow on that defensive front but those are hard to find unless you are Clemson, Alabama, or UGA.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Probably so. More speed a t linebacker is critical as is more quality depth on both lines. We really need a bell cow on that defensive front but those are hard to find unless you are Clemson, Alabama, or UGA.

Agree. Adams has really picked up his game and his senior year has a chance to be very good.

What we need most is a beastly an edge rusher. Especially if we are playing a lot of press coverage. I’d also kill for a Key Fox / Darryl Smith combo.

1. Why would we want Winbush, he didn't do much for Notre Dame and I don't see that he is an answer. Also bringing a guy in.....look back to Lewis years and see what that did to the team bringing in Luginbill.
2. Not sure Graham will be back, academics
3. Wondering if Yates might just be the guy, although LJ and Oliver could work as well. I doubt we are going to adapt a pass happy attack next year.
4. OT worries me, it has been the reason that we did not have as much success on TO plays and such. We need to pack about 15 lbs on all of out linemen
5. Not worried about RB or WR, we are loaded there
6. D line, we have some guys that showed flashes, but again they need to get bigger and stronger.
7. BJ Swilling, I know he wants to play some running back, but I think he ought to focus on LB. He could be very good.
8. Secondary we will be ok.
9. Harvin needs to lose about 15lbs.....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd take Wimbush in a heartbeat if he wanted to come here.
Reportedly a very good student and teammate. He went 13-3 as a starter over a season plus, including 3-3 against Top 20 teams.
Not a great passer (51%) but one who has at least passed against big time defenses and has a 20/12 TD/INT ratio. Really good runner.
Just because he was eventually beaten out by a better QB doesn't mean he is a poor QB.