Biggest holes to fill O&D 2019

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some discussions in other threads has referenced what we do and what we don’t have coming back next year and what impact that will have on our success as we transition. So let’s discuss.

Offense
Some have expressed concern about OL. I disagree. OL is and will be a strength next year. We have a legit starting GCG combo returning. And lots of depth (pending OT getting sorted) Initially I was a bit concerned about OT but after considering it further I’m less concerned. Both Morgan twins have the size and athleticism to play at OT. There little brother also has the frame and size for OT as does Austin Smith. The new regime should be able to plug and play. They will of course get tons of reps in a 2 point stance.

Running backs. If the new regime has trouble filling a 4 deep at RB we are without hope. Strength.

WR - a bunch of guys with height and length. I’m not buying into the “we haven’t taught any of these guys how to run routes garbage. We have. That said, no one outside of maybe Carter (arguably) has shown an ability to get separation and get open. Big question mark at this position. QB position changes may play big. Graham and Oliver?

TE- I don’t think I have to say anything here.

QB- for two years we have been pretty horrible throwing the ball. I truly think LJ would have won the starting job this year except for his injury. Maybe even before game one. We will never know but LJ is my favorite to win the job next year and I think he could flourish in a shotgun spread. He shouldn’t have trouble seeing over the line, has made good throws, and has great wheels to run when needed. His biggest unknown imo is ability to make the reads in a pass heavy scheme. He could play savior for us next year if he grasps things.

Everyone else at QB I have doubts about in the next scheme due to what they have shown thus far, in some cases what they haven’t shown, and lack of size. Graham and Oliver will be threats to run but I’m seriously doubting their ability to throw. Probably an unfair criticism of Graham due to lack of pt / experience. This position is a huge question mark regardless and will have the biggest impact on our success on O in 2019.

Defense
DT- I think we should be fine at DT. Adams and Glanton have both shown they can play DT for us. Add in a promising Martin and a hyped TKC and DT should be a strength.

DE- Owens has ability and I think will make a goos SDE. WDE and a legit pass rusher is a big big concern.

LB- No proven play makers. Thomas is a better fit at safety imo and I’m not sure he has the size to play LB. What he did as a true frosh was very impressive so I’m probably selling him short unfairly. He’s a legit baller wherever he ends up. He just doesn’t fit my perception of a LB size wise. Some will point to BJS. His lack of playing time makes me doubtful. As bad as our play was last year at ILB how did he not see the field if he’s legit? Would the change to OLB in a 4-3 make a drastic change for him? I’m doubtful. We really have no proven prototypical LBs. This unit is a complete rebuild imo.

Secondary- This is definitely a strength imo. We have a ton of very athletic guys with very good size. CGC work with these guys should do wonders imo. I think we have a bunch of guys who might make it to the next level once done at Tech.

What say you? How imbecilic is my thinking? Probably very ;)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I
Some discussions in other threads has referenced what we do and what we don’t have coming back next year and what impact that will have on our success as we transition. So let’s discuss.

Offense
Some have expressed concern about OL. I disagree. OL is and will be a strength next year. We have a legit starting GCG combo returning. And lots of depth (pending OT getting sorted) Initially I was a bit concerned about OT but after considering it further I’m less concerned. Both Morgan twins have the size and athleticism to play at OT. There little brother also has the frame and size for OT as does Austin Smith. The new regime should be able to plug and play. They will of course get tons of reps in a 2 point stance.
I'm sorry I can't buy into that again this coming year. You do remember that Scott Morgan graduated in Dec, not sure if he will be back. Matthew Morgan the younger bother could be good with time but don't see it this year he was a walk-on very smart Majoring in chemical and biomolecular engineering. But every year we talk about the OL being our strength but it don't pan out. I did not see any game where I saw good pass blocking. Maybe it was piss poor coaching and our new OL will help.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Good post.

DE note: Kelton Dawson looked awesome last spring game, watch out for him
QB - Agree with L Johnson being starter but depends on offense Tech runs, if it’s Auburn type read option I could see both Both Graham and Oliver in the mix
LB I seeing Jackson and J Henderson in the mix, I think both are solid players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TarTriton

Georgia Tech Fan
Good post.

QB - Agree with L Johnson being starter but depends on offense Tech runs, if it’s Auburn type read option I could see both Both Graham and Oliver in the mix

Isn’t curry back next yr at ILB or am I stupid?

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree somewhat with the OL. I think it'll be easier for them to adapt to a normal blocking scheme than the dive-blocking stuff Sewak has been coaching them for years. A new OL coach should improve pass blocking too.

For me, the 2 big ?s are QB and WR. We don't really know what LJ can do in a real-game situation. Not sure why he didn't get more PT in 2017? Also no real idea what these WRs are capable of, as they got no real WR work whatsoever the past 2 years. If these 2 positions are average, we should be able to get back to a bowl.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer

Offense

Running backs. If the new regime has trouble filling a 4 deep at RB we are without hope. Strength.

WR - a bunch of guys with height and length. I’m not buying into the “we haven’t taught any of these guys how to run routes garbage. We have. That said, no one outside of maybe Carter (arguably) has shown an ability to get separation and get open. Big question mark at this position. QB position changes may play big. Graham and Oliver?

TE- I don’t think I have to say anything here.

QB- for two years we have been pretty horrible throwing the ball. I truly think LJ would have won the starting job this year except for his injury. Maybe even before game one. We will never know but LJ is my favorite to win the job next year and I think he could flourish in a shotgun spread. He shouldn’t have trouble seeing over the line, has made good throws, and has great wheels to run when needed. His biggest unknown imo is ability to make the reads in a pass heavy scheme. He could play savior for us next year if he grasps things.

Everyone else at QB I have doubts about in the next scheme due to what they have shown thus far, in some cases what they haven’t shown, and lack of size. Graham and Oliver will be threats to run but I’m seriously doubting their ability to throw. Probably an unfair criticism of Graham due to lack of pt / experience. This position is a huge question mark regardless and will have the biggest impact on our success on O in 2019.

Defense
DT- I think we should be fine at DT. Adams and Glanton have both shown they can play DT for us. Add in a promising Martin and a hyped TKC and DT should be a strength.

DE- Owens has ability and I think will make a goos SDE. WDE and a legit pass rusher is a big big concern.

LB- No proven play makers. Thomas is a better fit at safety imo and I’m not sure he has the size to play LB. What he did as a true frosh was very impressive so I’m probably selling him short unfairly. He’s a legit baller wherever he ends up. He just doesn’t fit my perception of a LB size wise. Some will point to BJS. His lack of playing time makes me doubtful. As bad as our play was last year at ILB how did he not see the field if he’s legit? Would the change to OLB in a 4-3 make a drastic change for him? I’m doubtful. We really have no proven prototypical LBs. This unit is a complete rebuild imo.

Secondary- This is definitely a strength imo. We have a ton of very athletic guys with very good size. CGC work with these guys should do wonders imo. I think we have a bunch of guys who might make it to the next level once done at Tech.

What say you? How imbecilic is my thinking? Probably very ;)
WR and TE on offense and DL along with LB on defense

The InstAtute

Georgia Tech Fan
We are severely undersized on both sides of the ball. With the the triple option, we were able to scheme against larger teams. As we re-tool the offense, size will be our biggest challenge. Long term, we should be able to overcome this through recruiting efforts. Most games are won or lost in the the trenches. Clemson got much better on the DL and this is why we (and every other team) struggle to move the ball. Our defense and special teams will need to be exceptional to give us a chance to win in 2919 and 2020.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
On offense everything except Rb. Our QB options are a guy who might be eligible, a guy who is coming off a season ending injury and has run once and not thrown at all in 3 years here, and a guy not on campus yet. Our leading returning WR has 12 career catches. Oddly enough the TE position is probably our second most solid on offense because of the transfer. OL will probably be solid running but still struggle mightily in pass pro. You don't just switch stances to something you haven't done in 3 years and everything is okay.

Defense

DL - Adams and Glanton should be solid but I don't know about the rest We'll need multiple people to step up for this not to be an issue.
LB - I think we have a couple of solid younger pieces, but like with most of the defense I think it'll take time to break some bad habits and instill good ones.
secondary - going to have to rely on them, but I worry about other teams just being able to run too easily on us and catch guys peeking into the backfield.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We are severely undersized on both sides of the ball. With the the triple option, we were able to scheme against larger teams. As we re-tool the offense, size will be our biggest challenge. Long term, we should be able to overcome this through recruiting efforts. Most games are won or lost in the the trenches. Clemson got much better on the DL and this is why we (and every other team) struggle to move the ball. Our defense and special teams will need to be exceptional to give us a chance to win in 2919 and 2020.
We really aren’t that undersized though, we played undersized guys, but we have some pretty big dudes at their respective position. We have multiple DE’s over 260, DT’s 290-330, LB’s are a little undersized except a couple, DB’s have size as well. On offense we probably have 12 plus guys that will be 290-320 on the OL, multiple 6’3 + guys at WR, and Multiple RB’s with good size. I’m more worried about skill set at some positions.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Our biggest holes are our ILB coach. And our O-Line Coach.

Yates, Graham, Johnson can all throw, oliver has a decent release too. And more importantly Oliver and Johnson both have some height. If benson is healthy we will be fine at HB, BJS might be switching over too.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Good post.

What about Jordan Dominick? He looked very good coming out of high school.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Why I say we are practicing pass routes
18 and 17 passing attempts per game
gt 10 /11 out of ab in motion
Uva 27/37? out of rpo.
Our qb call a pass and has one receiver in mind.

19 spring
We have to pick wr and qb and implement some basic reads.

Sorry "Gentlemen Jack Straight" - qb and w r AND THOSE COACHES are in a deep hole.
Love our players and their athletic ability. These coaches are key .
THE ABSOLUTE BEST THING FOR GT RECRUITING (Next year) is for QB and w r coaches to show they can COACH UP CPJ 's players.
IF THEY DO WE COULD HAVE A GREAT RECRUITING CLASS.
Last 3 ACC games - get out the binoculars and let's grade them.

Oh, the biggest thing missing is the play calling genius.