Biggest holes to fill O&D 2019

bos

Helluva Engineer
IMO the biggest hole is DE, especially WDE. I have no idea who will be plug in that position. The defense will struggle mightily if they can't find anyone to rush the passer.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I, for one, appreciate the sentiments and enthusiasm. However, we have been down this road many times. We lack talent and depth across the board but most especially in both lines. I see no need to sugar coat this. It will be a difficult and challenging transition. My understanding is that James Graham has significant academic issues that will require him to buckle down and get the work done. I am unimpressed by the wide receivers as were opposing defensive coordinators. We do have serviceable running backs but we still do not know how far along in getting back to full 100% both Johnson and Benson are at present. In a more traditional spread option "pro style" scheme I would imagine that Lucas would flourish as would Yates. We will see. As for defense, I do not share your optimism about the defensive line and, unfortunately, do share your opinion that the linebacker group is a complete rebuild. IIWII a typical college football program rebuild from the ground up including players, staff, coaches and probably janitorial staff.

The way I look at our overall talent is that what we lack mostly is depth and a couple of "difference makers" at some position or another. You rarely looked at our offense this past year and said "wow, look at that guy! You have to watch him every play!" That's what I mean by a difference maker. I don't think there's a single guy that an opposing defense had to scheme for. And that MIGHT have been how they were used (for example, it's possible that some of our A-backs and B-backs could have been bigger difference makers if our QBs had gotten them the ball more... and I know there were plenty of option calls where our QBs could have done so). And clearly we had a pretty big dropoff in a bunch of places where the backups had to go in. So I think that might be a place where we struggle this coming year, as well. We could have a pretty decent first string and then as games wear on and we need to play more of the reserves we may continue to have a dropoff.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I’ve said this before, but I think it’s too important to not mention: the effort level in our last two games was piss poor. A major attitude adjustment needs to take place. Assistant coaches and team leaders have to hold people accountable. Seeing ILBs not filling gaps, DBs taking horrible angles to the ball, and the entire defense not tacking is unacceptable. The same players making these mistakes have been doing it multiple years. That’s a crap culture and crap leadership.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I know I’ve said this before, but I think it’s too important to not mention: the effort level in our last two games was piss poor. A major attitude adjustment needs to take place. Assistant coaches and team leaders have to hold people accountable. Seeing ILBs not filling gaps, DBs taking horrible angles to the ball, and the entire defense not tacking is unacceptable. The same players making these mistakes have been doing it multiple years. That’s a crap culture and crap leadership.

Nailed it.

slugboy

Staff member
We need a rotation with NG and DT, and we graduate some defensive linemen. It’s twice as many big dudes in the DL as we had last year. We have some promising young players, but the first game is Clemson.

Heckuva baptism for a new defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t mind seeing LJ in an O similar to what UF ran for Tebow.
Love me some Tall qb.

3 and 3 in uga game - score tied
(Like he ran in CC) the OC calls Shift into power I w the 230# FB Howard and BJS as tail back. Fake hand off to tail back and qb raises up, flips pass to the wide open full back . 1965-1969 in the 2 games at bds Uga used this play beat us . Soul crushing. ) THE TALL QB EASILY READS THE SAFETY AND decides TE or FB.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
OL play will depend to a large degree on how well they adapt to the technique of legalized holding.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
OL play will depend to a large degree on how well they adapt to the technique of legalized holding.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
As evidenced from the mutt game you can literally pull the britches off the defense running by you & not get flagged. Crazy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As evidenced from the mutt game you can literally pull the britches off the defense running by you & not get flagged. Crazy.
I really don't like this importation of Italian soccer into American football. It's gotten to the place where refs have a very hard time telling when any holding is going on. The OLs learn to disguise it, the DLs learn to fake having it done to them, and the rules get so fuzzy that you do have to tackle a guy to get called for holding. It was all done to make college football more "exciting" by using pro rules to open up passing attacks. I blame it all on Bill Walsh.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
QB is the biggest concern!!!

LJ - Coming off foot surgery, rusty, has not played in a year. Will he be available for spring practice?
Graham - Will he be eligible? Participate in spring practice? Can he throw effectively?
TO - He can run, can he throw effectively?
Yates - True freshman? Can he learn enough of the offense in the fall?

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
QB is the biggest concern!!!

LJ - Coming off knee surgery, rusty, has not played in a year. Will he be available for spring practice? Knee injuries are normally 1 year effective recovery.
Graham - Will he be eligible? Participate in spring practice? Can he throw effectively?
TO - He can run, can he throw effectively?
Yates - True freshman? Can he learn enough of the offense in the fall?

LJ's injury was to his foot, not knee iirc

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Except forDB (and maybe Run Back)there is huge question mark hanging above every position either in talent, size, or experience. Add in learning the new systems and you have a difficult task to put together a winner.
Patience needs to be the attitude.