Biggest holes to fill O&D 2019

nwgatech

Georgia Tech Fan
We have a good start on D. Remember all the current players were recruited for 4-3. As states depth will be an issue on the line but has been for a long time.

Offense has too many question marks. Scheme will depend on many answers to those.

Zone schemes with RPO will still be very familiar to Graham and fresh to Yates.

You may see a Jaybo Shaw like use of Yates because he comes in ready to run those packages. Is he ready... not sure. But a great true freshman at quarterback is not uncommon today.

I believe like so many others, when we see who the OC is and hear the spin from CGC on expectations for next year we will have a lot more fun on our own Roster MGMT.

Until then based on what we know and a Zone/RPO scheme this could be a servicable starting lineup. I am listing all these backs because at times I believe we could see three back sets out of a diamond formation just because of personnel.

QB. Yates/Graham
RB. Benson/Howard/Mason/Cottrell
FB/HB/TE Davis/Deveney
WR: Camp, Carter
C: Cooper
G: Braun/Hanson
G: Defoor/Clark
T: Quinney
T: Southers

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
On offense everything except Rb. Our QB options are a guy who might be eligible, a guy who is coming off a season ending injury and has run once and not thrown at all in 3 years here, and a guy not on campus yet. Our leading returning WR has 12 career catches. Oddly enough the TE position is probably our second most solid on offense because of the transfer. OL will probably be solid running but still struggle mightily in pass pro. You don't just switch stances to something you haven't done in 3 years and everything is okay.

Defense

DL - Adams and Glanton should be solid but I don't know about the rest We'll need multiple people to step up for this not to be an issue.
LB - I think we have a couple of solid younger pieces, but like with most of the defense I think it'll take time to break some bad habits and instill good ones.
secondary - going to have to rely on them, but I worry about other teams just being able to run too easily on us and catch guys peeking into the backfield.

I'm trying to figure out who you're talking about in your QB list. Does it go: Graham, Johnson, Johnson, Yates? If the third guy is Oliver, then he's been here 2 years. and he ran it a lot and actually passed decently given the lack of protection.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
‘98 was the first year my family had season tickets, and we went to the Gator Bowl to watch Tech beat ND as well. A whole lot of unexpected fun after the loss to Boston College the first game of the season. I was 11.
The b c game was on TV in texas. The qb was throwing darts against good coverage. No free short dump passes.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Great Post.

Im neither concerned about OL, DL or DB's. A lot of those young guys showed great potential, they(Defensive Backs)just need to sure up their tackling....

Im concerned about QB play and keeping Kirvonte healthy!!! No more knee injuries KB!! As for QB play, any man who can make reads from the spread and throw a tight spiral 25 yards, start him.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to figure out who you're talking about in your QB list. Does it go: Graham, Johnson, Johnson, Yates? If the third guy is Oliver, then he's been here 2 years. and he ran it a lot and actually passed decently given the lack of protection.

Graham, Johnson, Yates. Oliver is a tremendous athlete but I don't think he will be a QB in any scheme that isn't the TO.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
We are severely undersized on both sides of the ball. With the the triple option, we were able to scheme against larger teams.

Actually, Clemson, the mutts, and Minny proved that we could no longer scheme against larger teams.

As we re-tool the offense, size will be our biggest challenge. Long term, we should be able to overcome this through recruiting efforts. Most games are won or lost in the the trenches. Clemson got much better on the DL and this is why we (and every other team) struggle to move the ball. Our defense and special teams will need to be exceptional to give us a chance to win in 2919 and 2020.

I agree with all that. I'm glad we got a new S&C coach - he's got his work cut out for him!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Good analysis. These thoughts on it:

• Yep, the OL will do just fine next year. May, Smith, Minihan, Mckeehan, Tufele (provided he stays there), and Defoor as well as those already mentioned are all coming up and all have the requisite size. I think Lee probably moves back to OT as well. Also, the WEIGHTWATCHERS (tm) club at Tech will now be suspended; we can depend on some serious porking up all along the OL.

• On the LBs: here I expect to see some changes in position from the DB ranks. We need speed there and we are presently overstocked at DB. Carpenter, in particular, could easily put on an extra 15 lbs without losing speed, just like Thomas can and almost certainly will. And this is a position where we recruited well this year. So, LB remains a question mark, but we may end up better there then we expect.

• I actually expect to see Griffin the Elder to get a lot of playing time at DT. Everybody looks at his height and gets all concerned. I look at his high school film and I'm very glad he decided to come to Tech. He tends to clog up the middle very effectively. I think there's an outside chance (very outside admittedly) that he may become another Aaron Donald for us. Other then that I think we have the requisite 4 across.

• I also agree about the WRs. We may not have a certified burner here - though Hawkins-Anderson is reputedly very quick - but there's plenty of height and decent hands (from what we've seen).

• Like you, if Lucas recovers (almost as important, imho, as Benson doing so) then I think he probably wins the job at QB. He's big, fast, and can throw. If he hadn't been hurt, I'd guess he might have won the job on the field at USF last year. But he has to recover. If not him, then Graham, Tobias, and Yates can fight it out. We have talent here, so long as we get an OC who is willing to let the QB run the ball.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We are severely undersized on both sides of the ball. With the the triple option, we were able to scheme against larger teams. As we re-tool the offense, size will be our biggest challenge. Long term, we should be able to overcome this through recruiting efforts. Most games are won or lost in the the trenches. Clemson got much better on the DL and this is why we (and every other team) struggle to move the ball. Our defense and special teams will need to be exceptional to give us a chance to win in 2919 and 2020.

Severely undersized?

Our OL vs. Clemson

OT Zach Quiney- 6’6 276 (will add 25lbs easily)
OT: Jared Southers, 6’5 310lb
OG: Parker Braun 6’3 280lbs ,
OG: Connor Hansen 6’2 320lbs
C: Kenny Cooper 6’3 307lb

Our reserve
Jack Defoors 6’5 290lbs
Austin Smith 6’5 295
Jahaziel Lee 6’2 287
Brad Morgan 6’4 288
Scott Morgan 6’4 290

The vaunted machine Clemson

OT Mitch Hyatt- 6’5 306lbs
OT Tremayne Anchrum- 6’2 290lbs
OG John Simpson 6’4 320lbs
OG Gage Cervenka 6’3 320
C Justin Falcenelli 6’3 307

The DLine
Average FBS DT: 6’2 292
Adams: 6’2 329
Glanton: 6’3 293
Chimedza: 6’3 300

Average FBS DE: 6’3 253
Owens: 6’4 270
Dingle: 6’3 250
Dawson: 6’3 275

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Severely undersized?

Our OL vs. Clemson

Our reserve
Jack Defoors 6’5 290lbs
Austin Smith 6’5 295
Jahaziel Lee 6’2 287
Brad Morgan 6’4 288
Scott Morgan 6’4 290

OG Gage Cervenka 6’3 320

The DLine

But but but we all KNOW Tech's too small!!!! Right? RIGHT?????? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Some discussions in other threads has referenced what we do and what we don’t have coming back next year and what impact that will have on our success as we transition. So let’s discuss.

Offense
Some have expressed concern about OL. I disagree. OL is and will be a strength next year. We have a legit starting GCG combo returning. And lots of depth (pending OT getting sorted) Initially I was a bit concerned about OT but after considering it further I’m less concerned. Both Morgan twins have the size and athleticism to play at OT. There little brother also has the frame and size for OT as does Austin Smith. The new regime should be able to plug and play. They will of course get tons of reps in a 2 point stance.

Running backs. If the new regime has trouble filling a 4 deep at RB we are without hope. Strength.

WR - a bunch of guys with height and length. I’m not buying into the “we haven’t taught any of these guys how to run routes garbage. We have. That said, no one outside of maybe Carter (arguably) has shown an ability to get separation and get open. Big question mark at this position. QB position changes may play big. Graham and Oliver?

TE- I don’t think I have to say anything here.

QB- for two years we have been pretty horrible throwing the ball. I truly think LJ would have won the starting job this year except for his injury. Maybe even before game one. We will never know but LJ is my favorite to win the job next year and I think he could flourish in a shotgun spread. He shouldn’t have trouble seeing over the line, has made good throws, and has great wheels to run when needed. His biggest unknown imo is ability to make the reads in a pass heavy scheme. He could play savior for us next year if he grasps things.

Everyone else at QB I have doubts about in the next scheme due to what they have shown thus far, in some cases what they haven’t shown, and lack of size. Graham and Oliver will be threats to run but I’m seriously doubting their ability to throw. Probably an unfair criticism of Graham due to lack of pt / experience. This position is a huge question mark regardless and will have the biggest impact on our success on O in 2019.

Defense
DT- I think we should be fine at DT. Adams and Glanton have both shown they can play DT for us. Add in a promising Martin and a hyped TKC and DT should be a strength.

DE- Owens has ability and I think will make a goos SDE. WDE and a legit pass rusher is a big big concern.

LB- No proven play makers. Thomas is a better fit at safety imo and I’m not sure he has the size to play LB. What he did as a true frosh was very impressive so I’m probably selling him short unfairly. He’s a legit baller wherever he ends up. He just doesn’t fit my perception of a LB size wise. Some will point to BJS. His lack of playing time makes me doubtful. As bad as our play was last year at ILB how did he not see the field if he’s legit? Would the change to OLB in a 4-3 make a drastic change for him? I’m doubtful. We really have no proven prototypical LBs. This unit is a complete rebuild imo.

Secondary- This is definitely a strength imo. We have a ton of very athletic guys with very good size. CGC work with these guys should do wonders imo. I think we have a bunch of guys who might make it to the next level once done at Tech.

What say you? How imbecilic is my thinking? Probably very ;)

I, for one, appreciate the sentiments and enthusiasm. However, we have been down this road many times. We lack talent and depth across the board but most especially in both lines. I see no need to sugar coat this. It will be a difficult and challenging transition. My understanding is that James Graham has significant academic issues that will require him to buckle down and get the work done. I am unimpressed by the wide receivers as were opposing defensive coordinators. We do have serviceable running backs but we still do not know how far along in getting back to full 100% both Johnson and Benson are at present. In a more traditional spread option "pro style" scheme I would imagine that Lucas would flourish as would Yates. We will see. As for defense, I do not share your optimism about the defensive line and, unfortunately, do share your opinion that the linebacker group is a complete rebuild. IIWII a typical college football program rebuild from the ground up including players, staff, coaches and probably janitorial staff.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Severely undersized?

Our OL vs. Clemson

Our reserve
Jack Defoors 6’5 290lbs
Austin Smith 6’5 295
Jahaziel Lee 6’2 287
Brad Morgan 6’4 288
Scott Morgan 6’4 290

OG Gage Cervenka 6’3 320

The DLine

Well, if anyone would know it would be our resident expert on all things pertaining to defense Mr. Ballin. That said, size is one thing, talent and coaching is something else. I don't know we are lacking size but we have been pushed around a plenty lately.