Benghazi Hearings

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Water Gate? That was Nixon. I'm guessing you mean whitewater.

Also, how can the video story be manufactured by Obama advisers if the CIA initially thought it was the cause?

"The currently available information suggests that the demonstrations in Benghazi were spontaneously inspired by the protests at the US Embassy in Cairo and evolved into a direct assault against the US diplomatic post in Benghazi and subsequently its annex. There are indications that extremists participated in the violent demonstrations."

You do realize there were embassy attacks in other places on the same day related to the video, right? The entire embassy in Cairo was overrun on the same day by religious fanatics mad about the video. Luckily, those guys didn't bring guns.

No,I mean water gate. She was fired from the house judiciary committee for unethical behavior.
She still didn't send security to protect our ambassador and others.
This can't be blamed onn "video".
She dropped the ball!!! Period......If Condi Rice had done this, she should be sent to prison or John Kerry..

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
minor point in reference to the 1970's incident... it's Watergate - one word - named after the building the break in occurred. (It's not a dam made from water that that friend of mine back in 3rd grade called it during our current events class :) )

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I guess I just believe the media didn't/doesn't ask why the BS story about the impromptu gathering after a "video" by folks that just happen to carry around grenade launchers hasn't been continuously brought up.
Give Hillary credit, she fell on the sword, per se, for the POTUS...

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
minor point in reference to the 1970's incident... it's Watergate - one word - named after the building the break in occurred. (It's not a dam made from water that that friend of mine back in 3rd grade called it during our current events class :) )
Sorry for that.
I am at an auction and my auto correct didn't like it as one word and It was before my time lol.
I think your friend was spot on ;-)

LibertyTurns

Banned
The political ties run deep. Ted Kennedy's counsel for Chappaquiddik got old Hillary a spot on the Watergate Committee by the way which was headed up by a Democrat. She never got "fired", she was just one of a select few that were not recommended for any future positions because of her "questionable" conduct throughout the course of the investigtion. There's a big difference between politicans winking at each other because someone's radioactive and stonewalling future opportunities and being officially fired. It's also much easier to wait until the committee was disbanded and just let old Hillary go than completely taking her out via official punitive action. When you put together the pieces what you've got is someone that exploits situations extrememely effectively using every bit of what's marginally legal to achieve their ends. Honorable people would consider such conduct dishonest & unethical, other people admire such people for their guile. It's like the Patriots, you either think they're cheaters or a great team that uses every rule to their advantage. The haters think people who behave unethically should disappear from public life (voluntarily) and the other side prides themselves on their conduct and ability to get away with everything imagineable.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw about 10 minutes of the hearings and it appeared that the only adult talking was Hillary. The committee looked like school kids trying to take on the principal.

I thought Hillary's laughing at the question "But were you alone the whole night?" was priceless. Like she is trying to keep up with Bobby Kennedy with sexual trysts ......
Agreed, mostly a waste of time. She is a master debater, lying, avoiding questions, giving good answers, etc.

I am saying all that as a liberal who does not want another corrupt Clinton to become president. Not that I like any of the other democrats either.

My guess is that the main effect of these hearings is to further coalesce democrats around Clinton making the primaries even easier for her.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agreed, mostly a waste of time. She is a master debater, lying, avoiding questions, giving good answers, etc.

I am saying all that as a liberal who does not want another corrupt Clinton to become president. Not that I like any of the other democrats either.

My guess is that the main effect of these hearings is to further coalesce democrats around Clinton making the primaries even easier for her.

I think we mostly agree. I don't respect what I know of her ethics to say whatever is needed and shade the truth; but that is true of all successful politicians for the President with the recent exception of Carter maybe. Even McCain who I would have voted for lost his way trying to reinvent himself when the ambition got the better of him.

But I do respect her intelligence and work ethic. Anyone who writes that many e-mails is truly dedicated ... with Biden out, Clinton is almost guaranteed to be the D nominee.

And on the Republican side, I like Webb but he is far too serious and doesn't have the money.

Maybe I'll move to Patagonia if we have a Clinton / Bush choice.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we mostly agree. I don't respect what I know of her ethics to say whatever is needed and shade the truth; but that is true of all successful politicians for the President with the recent exception of Carter maybe. Even McCain who I would have voted for lost his way trying to reinvent himself when the ambition got the better of him.

But I do respect her intelligence and work ethic. Anyone who writes that many e-mails is truly dedicated ... with Biden out, Clinton is almost guaranteed to be the D nominee.

And on the Republican side, I like Webb but he is far too serious and doesn't have the money.

Maybe I'll move to Patagonia if we have a Clinton / Bush choice.

Are you thinking of Jim Webb? He's a Dem now and not running. No Webb is running as a Repub.

I think the point that your post doesn't address is that with Hillary, it's not just a problem of political ethics, but crime. Her e-mail behavior was handed over to the FBI as a possible violation of the espionage act. She's almost certainly committed perjury in her testimony in the House, if not to the letter, to the spirit. The fact that the Democrat party has no problem with her behavior is depressing.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
And not all women believed Obama was the best choice. But 56% in 2008 and 55% in 2012 did believe he was the best and voted for him. That is why he has been President for the past 7 years.
If YOU want to elect YOUR candidate president there are several basic decisions to make. So far the Republicans are making the wrong decisions, IMHO.

What percentage of those women were black, a demographic that showed up at historic levels? I don't think Hillary brings all of that block.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
What percentage of those women were black, a demographic that showed up at historic levels? I don't think Hillary brings all of that block.
Historically the "black" vote goes 94 to 96 percent for the Democratic candidate for president. I am not trying to elect Clinton, in fact just the opposite. I just believe there is smart and dumb politics and Republicans are playing dumb, IMHO. In 2012 Obama received 332 electoral votes, as I recall. Based on getting 55% or better of the popular vote by state in 2012, the Democrat has 179 electoral votes and the Republican 128 as of today. Smart time is here.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Historically the "black" vote goes 94 to 96 percent for the Democratic candidate for president. I am not trying to elect Clinton, in fact just the opposite. I just believe there is smart and dumb politics and Republicans are playing dumb, IMHO. In 2012 Obama received 332 electoral votes, as I recall. Based on getting 55% or better of the popular vote by state in 2012, the Democrat has 179 electoral votes and the Republican 128 as of today. Smart time is here.

Yes and the last 2 elections, black women showed up in record numbers. If they stay home for Clinton, the women in general numbers go down. Clinton does not excite the black vote like Obama, in fact, many see her as corrupt. I think using the demographics from 2008 and 2012 is going to be a mistake.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow

That could be a mistake. Bill always liked to address issues early, so he could wave them off later.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are you thinking of Jim Webb? He's a Dem now and not running. No Webb is running as a Repub.

I think the point that your post doesn't address is that with Hillary, it's not just a problem of political ethics, but crime. Her e-mail behavior was handed over to the FBI as a possible violation of the espionage act. She's almost certainly committed perjury in her testimony in the House, if not to the letter, to the spirit. The fact that the Democrat party has no problem with her behavior is depressing.

Yeah, I was thinking of Jim Webb who is very conservative (for a Democrat). He dropped out on 20 October and is now calling himself an independent. I think he is very similar to Reagan. I'd vote for Webb as Democrat, Republican , Independent or Libertarian.

Concerning the e-mails and classification, I think it is a fact (since I haven't seen otherwise) that none of the emails had classification markings nor did any of the enclosures. Dealing with classification myself all the time, and having been a derivative classifier, I can say that there is a very large gray area in what is classified and what is not. Different people will come to different conclusions and the most conservative usually wins. Wiki has a fairly long article on this subject with what appears to be both sides of the story which can be supported by facts .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_email_controversy And after reading for 10 minutes, I'm still not alarmed.

I think the real reason for the e-mail server was so she would have access to the information to write a book later. It made Bill a lot of money didn't it? Also the hubris of recording everything has a rather Nixonian ring to it, but in an earlier more naive time when all you did was record things.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I was thinking of Jim Webb who is very conservative (for a Democrat). He dropped out on 20 October and is now calling himself an independent. I think he is very similar to Reagan. I'd vote for Webb as Democrat, Republican , Independent or Libertarian.

Concerning the e-mails and classification, I think it is a fact (since I haven't seen otherwise) that none of the emails had classification markings nor did any of the enclosures. Dealing with classification myself all the time, and having been a derivative classifier, I can say that there is a very large gray area in what is classified and what is not. Different people will come to different conclusions and the most conservative usually wins. Wiki has a fairly long article on this subject with what appears to be both sides of the story which can be supported by facts .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_email_controversy And after reading for 10 minutes, I'm still not alarmed.

I think the real reason for the e-mail server was so she would have access to the information to write a book later. It made Bill a lot of money didn't it? Also the hubris of recording everything has a rather Nixonian ring to it, but in an earlier more naive time when all you did was record things.

I'm not going to read wikipedia. Here's a Reuters article. It really saddens me that if you deal with classification issues all the time that you can spit back the no "classification markings" b.s. If you work with classified material, it is your responsibility to know whether its classified or not and handle it accordingly. You're not off the hook if you don't issue classifications for your emails. Would this fly with you if someone worked under you said it was okay that they included classified information in an email because they didn't label it as classified? smh.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Government classification is a joke. I was in a battalion hdqtrs in the Army lo many decades ago and handled the classified files. IG comes in and says that much of what I have that is not classified
is in fact classified. Nobody told me. All that saved by butt was I had done an inventory of my files when I reported in front of two field grade officers who signed off on my inventory.

The FBI is investigating the servers. There will be an answer. Everybody relax.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree with @Northeast Stinger that Congress are full of boobs incapable of convening a fact finding hearing...and it was a waste of time and money. ( As an aside I also appreciate his opinions on matters even when I disagree with him. Can't say I can blame him for avoiding a political discussion that no one is likely to change their minds on) Their focus was garbage from what I saw tho I admittedly watched little more than news highlights and read a bit on it.

Much more could and should have been done by the administration to protect our people, and later attempt to rescue them, than was done. That deserves a hearing alone without all the email garbage muddying things.

The lies told to the families afterward... Disappointing and inexcusable but not surprising or without precedent. Also not criminal.

The private email server crap. I think she did that to avoid Obama's people / scrutiny; just a guess though. The big issue here is if sensitive material was jeopardized or compromised by that stupid decision and the communications she did have. If so she should be prosecuted. Her decision to erase the servers to attempt to cover it all up should bar her from ever being considered for any public office.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Bumbling Republican fools cannot even figure out how to get to the bottom of what everyone already knows, the response to Benghazi did not fit into the political narrative that was desired. There were ample resources available to respond & to suggest otherwse is either an attempt to deceive or indicates someone is extremely naive. It's 9-11 for pete's sake. The entire military apparatus is on high alert the entire day. No Commander would want to get caught with his/her pants down. Everyone I had doubled or tripled security on 9-11 EVEN IN THE UNITED STATES. To think that RRFs in Tripoli, Aviano, Souba Bay, Sigonella were asleep at the wheel is preposterous. The Republicans in Congress are completely incompetent & the Liberals in Congress are so unethical they'd lie about anything, anytime, anywhere.

Instead of having a real investigation, these buffoons wasted our time & money. Geez there's so much evidence available, ie "not quite secret" emails to Chelsea from Mommy saying terrorists had attacked while she was publicly blaming a mob that just watched some farcical movie. Lyin' Leon contradicting his Generals, go figure. How hard is it to obtain the readiness conditions of the forces assigned within a thousand miles of Benghazi??? Give me a week & I could reconstruct the readiness posture for everyone in theater much less just a handful of units. Those dumb bastards are so incompetent they couldn't make their case if those buttholes handed them notarized affadavits admitting to lying, cheating & stealing.

Hundreds of years from now someone's going to be writing the Decline Of the US Empire book. We've lost our way.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/diplomat-us-special-forces-told-you-cant-go-to-benghazi-during-attacks/

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2012/11/sacking_general_carter_ham.html

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Liberty it is worse than you say, read the following House Committee reports:

Joint Report Chrmn of 5 House Committees, McKeon, Rogers, Royce, Goodlatte and Issa, 4/23/13
House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform September 16, 2013 Darrell Issa, Chrmn
House Committee on Foreign Affairs Majority Staff Report on Benghazi Feb 7, 2014 Ed Royce, Chrmn
House Armed Services Committee, Feb 10, 2014 Howard McKeon, Chrmn
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence 11/21/14 Mike Rogers, Chrmn

Entire reports are available on the committee websites. The only culprit is the CIA in their confession to the House Intelligence Committee.