Beer Sales at FCS schools

Should Tech sell Beer at Bobby Dodd Stadium?

• Yes

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Exactly. I voted yes because I believe that beer sales would, if handled properly, actually contribute to a family atmosphere, discourage smuggling, discourage chugging, help get people in earlier and get them to stay for the whole game, and discourage over-the-top tailgating.

I don't know if this would matter or not, but one doesn't generally tailgate for baseball games (correct? I haven't been in ages). Allowing beer sales would let those hardcore tailgaters who want to get wasted do so, but would "take the pressure off", so to speak, of those who want a reasonable buzz without getting obnoxious.

I was a NASCAR fan for many years and it didn't take but one late July Talladega race for me to learn the following protocol: 1) drink until the race was about 1/2 to 2/3 over; 2) switch to water; 3) then in the car have a water jug with several Goody's powders premixed in and drink that in the traffic jam on the way home.

Worked like a charm and I'd be surprised if some August noon-kickoff attendees don't do the same thing.

I'll agree 100%. I'm ex but it's outside, for crying out loud. Just don't accidentally burn a hole in someone's $75 jersey, and leave it at that. Smoking is not illegal and outdoors I cannot see it as being a problem. MO only.

When was the last time someone accidentally burned another's jersey/jacket/etc. and paid to replace it? Never happened for me... Just asking...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Back to the OP- don't think there would be a big problem with it. As was posted earlier, make it should at concession stands only and cut off sales after 3rd quarter. Let GT and others make some $'s in the process from those willing to pay.

Animal02

Banned
Back to the OP- don't think there would be a big problem with it. As was posted earlier, make it should at concession stands only and cut off sales after 3rd quarter. Let GT and others make some $'s in the process from those willing to pay.

I don't know about cutting sales off after the 3rd quarter.........how about offering 1 at a discount in the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter. (Maybe punching ticket stub or something) It might keep people around through the 4th quarter ;)

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
This article is a few years old, but it has some good insight to West Virginia before and after beer was sold at their games

Tl;dr

wvu-gameday.png

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
When was the last time someone accidentally burned another's jersey/jacket/etc. and paid to replace it? Never happened for me... Just asking...
Only happened to me once and not at a game. I was the offender and offered (multiple times) to replace and/or pay for garment repair. The injured party declined (and didn't seem very worried about it).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I've had only one person ever offer even after being called out. (maybe it was you! ha :) )
Too many just say "oops" or "sorry" and try to disappear.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I've had only one person ever offer even after being called out. (maybe it was you! ha :) )
Too many just say "oops" or "sorry" and try to disappear.
Did you work at Century Center in the mid-1980's? :)

When I smoked I tried to do everything I could to dispel the notion of smoking being a dirty habit engaged in by crude, careless people. I kept my ashtrays and house clean, etc. That one time I bumped into someone I felt awful and made clear I was ready to make it right. I also tried not to bump into people. ;) Had a few burn holes from others bumping into me, though. And you're right, only one ever offered to correct it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not me then. Got out of GT in '86 then moved to Raleigh for several years.
You're correct, most smokers aren't a**holes and try to be consider those around them.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Regulate it, tax it, and profit.

All the studies and data show that on-site beer sales discourages binge drinking before the game. Problematic drunkenness has always declined.
I'm sorry to hear that you were obnoxious, rude and profane 27 years ago.

How drunk can you get off $10 beer? My wallet complains long before I get a decent buzz... When I know I'm going to a wet arena, I don't feel like I have to get loaded first. Then the prices always keep me from ordering more than 1 beer (because that one beer costs about the same as a 12-pack). Dry arenas are different; if I want a buzz I have to get it before entering.

I have always been more sober in a wet arena vs. a dry arena.
Yea at $10 a beer you realize after about 2 that it just isn’t worth it any more. I would think most the people capable of affording to get drunk on $10 beers most likely aren’t obnoxious people. The people that want to get obnoxiously drunk will probably still be sneaking in booze and binge drinking before the game because it’s a hell of a lot cheaper. You aren’t going to change much one way or the other so you might as well pocket some cash on beer sales as I’m sure a good number of people wouldn’t mind buying 1-2 beers throughout the game.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
My main selling point was that MOST of the smokers try to hide in a corner or get as far away from any crowds as possible. Yet we still get hounded about it every week. They wont let you step outside to have one and they dont have a designated area. I understand not allowing it in the stadium or in the concession line... But it would be nice of them to atleast have a small area on both sides of the stadium designated for people who choose to smoke. As long as others arent forced to breathe it I dont see the problem.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
My main selling point was that MOST of the smokers try to hide in a corner or get as far away from any crowds as possible. Yet we still get hounded about it every week. They wont let you step outside to have one and they dont have a designated area. I understand not allowing it in the stadium or in the concession line... But it would be nice of them to atleast have a small area on both sides of the stadium designated for people who choose to smoke. As long as others arent forced to breathe it I dont see the problem.

Campus is now tobacco free altogether.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't going to comment, but...I smoked for 19 years, all through my GT time. I smoked at FB games. I understand where you're coming from. However, if you can smell it, you're breathing it.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
There are not enough urinals now! I vote no

There used to be plenty of room at Grant Field, the urinal was just a long trench along the back wall in the men's room - now we have to be all fancy.

Until my kid was marching in the band, I had not been to a game in 20+ years. At that first game I went to I remember thinking that my gameday experience was just like old times when I smelled whisky. Hearing the "bust their ***" after Go Jackets, "bulls***" after a bad call, and the Budweiser song gave me hope for the future. Still haven't heard the "where's his thumb?" one when referencing the cheerleaders though and "a**es on the wood" just doesn't have the same ring as "a**ses on the aluminum" does when the game gets slow (like during a TV timeout).

I remember in the 80's that the rumor was that they sold ginger ale in the West Stands so the alumni would have a choice of mixers, and the stadium cups had that step in the first inch to show you how much coke (or ginger ale if you were on the west side) to drink down before topping off with your favorite spirit.

Selling beer can be a good money maker, but I would not have wanted to be in the middle of the crowd I was in during last year's UGAg game if the puppy's fans had been pounding beer to go along with all the calls that they thought were unwarranted. I guess I would have to pony up more $$ and get better tickets among more Tech fans (could not believe all the r&b in the west side of the North Stands, it was like being in the Cesspool). Man could those folks whine.

Alcohol is part of the gameday experience. If the Institute wants to be dead-against alcohol consumption at the games they would have to ban it at all campus locations - including tailgating - to be consistent and that would be a sure fire way to drive attendance down not up. Heck, the first time I consumed alcohol on campus since I was a student was at the alumni tent last year for homecoming and guess what - the beer was free!

Your imagination, and it's probably due to others who have projected a similar misunderstanding. Syracuse has been selling beer since I remember going to games in the 80's, and the Carrier Dome is an on-campus stadium.

Maybe the ACC had its own rule at one point - I'm not able to speak to that - but Syracuse continues to sell beer today.
We in the Power Five now baby. We do what we want, when we want.