Beer Sales at FCS schools

Should Tech sell Beer at Bobby Dodd Stadium?

• Yes

Votes: 68 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Animal02

Banned
I remember in the 80's that the rumor was that they sold ginger ale in the West Stands so the alumni would have a choice of mixers, and the stadium cups had that step in the first inch to show you how much coke (or ginger ale if you were on the west side) to drink down before topping off with your favorite spirit.

I remember sitting in the upper east stands as a student and the vendors would roam the aisles yelling "mixers for sale"
Also the guys running concessions would refill an existing cup for half price.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I remember sitting in the upper east stands as a student and the vendors would roam the aisles yelling "mixers for sale"
Also the guys running concessions would refill an existing cup for half price.

"Mixers! Shakers!" I can still hear it in my head.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't going to comment, but...I smoked for 19 years, all through my GT time. I smoked at FB games. I understand where you're coming from. However, if you can smell it, you're breathing it.
Well when you are in the nosebleeds hanging over the balcony on the steps.. Id guess maybe 5 non-smokers would be in range. 2 of them being the hall monitors with pepperspray and stunguns at the ready. Itd be simple to offer a smoking bracelet like they do at every other sporting event. Also on the campus being tobacco free... I just dont see them walking up to someone, OUTSIDE , asking them to not smoke. I swear its turning into nazi Germany, and smokers are the jews. Ridiculous.

Animal02

Banned
Well when you are in the nosebleeds hanging over the balcony on the steps.. Id guess maybe 5 non-smokers would be in range. 2 of them being the hall monitors with pepperspray and stunguns at the ready. Itd be simple to offer a smoking bracelet like they do at every other sporting event. Also on the campus being tobacco free... I just dont see them walking up to someone, OUTSIDE , asking them to not smoke. I swear its turning into nazi Germany, and smokers are the jews. Ridiculous.

Not a smoker, but I agree they should have smoking zones, and while they are at it.....build drinking zones o_O

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Not a smoker, but I agree they should have smoking zones, and while they are at it.....build drinking zones o_O
Haha BRILLIANT!!! Out of the entire crowd I would venture to say that no more than 100-150 are smokers. I just dont see that small ammt. causing a hindrance to the enjoyment of the game for others. But I can guarantee you, that having to sit through a 4 hour game, without even half a smoke, is a hindrance and causes more than a few to leave early. Id be more than willing to take anything the AA would offer as a solution.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The smell of smoke is unpleasant to most non smokers ggee. You may not realize how strong the odor is because your own sense of smell has likely been diminished by your chain smoking. But the smell is strong, unpleasant to most non smokers, and unwanted in public venues where you are putting your smoke in the presence of others against their will. So who exactly is the selfish one in this scenario?

And FYI...I do occasionally smoke a cigar or pipe. So I'm not a smoking nazi. But I never subject non smokers to my pipe or sticks.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
If you smoke -- try getting a box of the patches and using one for each game. Works beautifully for a few hours and you will feel much better. (Good for airline flights too.)

Just remember to remove it before your first after the game (otherwise you can get really sick).

I've always actually liked the smell of cigarette smoke, even before I smoked and after I quit, but that's MO only and I know many who do dislike it.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Um, all whiskey starts as clear. You didn't need prohibition for people to distill their own booze without aging it. Clear whiskey was even bottled and sold, even by George Washington.

In Son of Gambolier, the rambling rake of poverty drinks his lager beer and takes his whiskey clear. I don't think the point is "without ice"

Still, if you can show any use of "clear" for neat or straight, I'd like to see it. Also, did you come to this understanding of the song from otherwise knowing this usage or just guessing?
From the oed:
a. U.S. slang. Free from admixture, unadulterated, pure, ‘real.’ clear grit: ‘real stuff’: see quots.

b. In technical or trade use.
1889 Cent. Dict., Clear, without admixture, adulteration, or dilution; as, a fabric of clear silk; clear brandy; clear tea.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From the oed:
a. U.S. slang. Free from admixture, unadulterated, pure, ‘real.’ clear grit: ‘real stuff’: see quots.

b. In technical or trade use.
1889 Cent. Dict., Clear, without admixture, adulteration, or dilution; as, a fabric of clear silk; clear brandy; clear tea.

Thanks. And that's about the right time, too. It's interesting that the second definition gives the examples of "clear brandy" and "clear tea" where the parallel "clear whiskey" otherwise refers to what I was talking about, also at that time.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I take my whiskey with all the adulteration I can manage... amiright? haha

Seriously though, interesting discussion, I always assumed take my whiskey clear meant unaged pure spirit from the distiller's stash.