Been thinking about the Searcy TD against uga

What kind of sucks is that 2014 was that year, then through a fluke of terrible officiating and things just going bad at the worst time, we let them back in the game (although totally redeemed with how it ended...that was one of the best games I've ever watched, along with FSU 2009). Just think about it...if the refs give JT that TD at the goal line (because from one angle you can see the nose of the ball over the line), or at the very least blow forward progress as they should have, it's a 14 point swing and the game never even approaches overtime because we grind them into the dirt with our power running game the entire second half. That said, I don't think I'd want to change how that game worked out...it was an absolute dagger to the heart (the kick, to force a miracle overtime) and then twisting it (the pick, after botching the XP and giving them hope again).
Totally agree with you, but don't forget JT's "fumble" when his arm was clearly in motion. We would have scored on that series of downs easily if not for that play. But another similar game with the opposite result was the 2013 game. We had a TWENTY THREE point lead and let off the gas and blew it. All we had to do was score one more TD in the 3rd quarter, and it would have been ours. HATE that game !!!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree with you, but don't forget JT's "fumble" when his arm was clearly in motion. We would have scored on that series of downs easily if not for that play. But another similar game with the opposite result was the 2013 game. We had a TWENTY THREE point lead and let off the gas and blew it. All we had to do was score one more TD in the 3rd quarter, and it would have been ours. HATE that game !!!
I certainly hated the outcome of that game, too. However, I think it was as much about running out of gas (on the D at least) as it was letting off the gas. Particularly in the overtime possessions, we had nothing at all to stop their running game. Grrrrr....

I certainly hated the outcome of that game, too. However, I think it was as much about running out of gas (on the D at least) as it was letting off the gas. Particularly in the overtime possessions, we had nothing at all to stop their running game. Grrrrr....
I just don't think it should have ever got to OT. We had it won in the first half, and it wasn't all the D's fault that we really never did anything in the second half until the first OT. The D had indeed run out of gas by then.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hear you, but I tend to flush and forget games where we get beat badly. The close ones sting the worst. For that reason I would rather rip their hearts out again. If I could draw it up, another game winning play in front of section 103 would be perfect, this time with no time left on the clock. Fans storming the field, goalposts, etc. Dejected mutt fans leaving while we bask in the glory.
We need to win at home so the scoreboard isn't shut off 5 seconds after the final whistle.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I just don't think it should have ever got to OT. We had it won in the first half, and it wasn't all the D's fault that we really never did anything in the second half until the first OT. The D had indeed run out of gas by then.
Yes, can't argue with that. Coming out of halftime, I was very worried, despite our lead. Words do not suffice to express my disappointment with the way our offense stalled in the second half--so in that respect, "running out of gas" was a fair description...

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
These are the last three plays. Watch play 1 and then play 3... what gave the 3rd play away... why did 4 defenders stay on the backside?

The defense reads play action based on how the play-side O-Linemen block. They are like slide protecting instead of scoop blocking, PAAAASSS. Against this motion our opponents (should) know their worst case scenario is to defend against a Switch combination between the WR and the B-Back. When they blow their assignments is how we get the 70 YD TD passes on the wheel route.

The trick here is that if the defense plays perfectly against our normal play-action pass then JT will be open in the flat. The play actually works fine in theory here, the defense is all over the WR and the B-Back but late to pick up JT, but in practice it struggles because it's a short field both to the end-zone and the boundary and because someone on the UGA sideline was paying attention. Earlier in the game (this drive even?) CPJ had JT leak out after pitching the ball and nobody noticed him. There must have been some kind of alert.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, can't argue with that. Coming out of halftime, I was very worried, despite our lead. Words do not suffice to express my disappointment with the way our offense stalled in the second half--so in that respect, "running out of gas" was a fair description...
I think if we had had another 30 seconds in regulation we would have gotten 10 yds closer and Butker would have become the Dwag killer as a freshman.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think if we had had another 30 seconds in regulation we would have gotten 10 yds closer and Butker would have become the Dwag killer as a freshman.

Maybe...he was also responsible for one of about 20 things that had to go wrong for us to lose that game when he missed the FG late in the third quarter.

I'd prefer if we just never spoke of this game again, actually

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Aren't you being a bit generous to the clock watchers in Athens? I had the feeling that scoreboard and the final gun were wired together. My dear Ma would have nailed it: they are so small-minded.
I think they shut if off immediately after all home losses. The hail mary loss to Tennessee.... same deal.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think they shut if off immediately after all home losses. The hail mary loss to Tennessee.... same deal.
Would it not be grand if several of the geeks -- sorry -- could put aside their studies on whatever esoteric things geeks -- sorry again -- do, and do the Navy goat thing by hacking that scoreboard so that it would never go off when we win? Maybe even flash like an exit sign? That would be marvelous in my eyes. (Apologies to Elizabeth.)

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
(y) I was thinking the exact same thing this morning, while I was doing yard work: hack their Jumbotron and sound system, and play the Rambling Wreck while showing GT highlights on the board...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
(y) I was thinking the exact same thing this morning, while I was doing yard work: hack their Jumbotron and sound system, and play the Rambling Wreck while showing GT highlights on the board...

Unfortunately, they've already shown (with the website schedule hacking a couple years ago) that they'll prosecute BEYOND the fullest extent of the law on any pranks like that, so it's risky for whoever would be willing to try it.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Given how often dwag fans come in to BDS and treat it as if it were their own practice field (and treat our campus like the trash dump in their back yards), this year I want to see them streaming out before the end of the third quarter. I want to see their band sit silently during the Budweiser song, because there are no dwaggies left for them to play to. I want to walk out of the stadium after the game to find that they are all gone from campus already, back in their pickup trucks and driving back to the trailer park.

I thought we were going to see that in 2013 at the half. But then Gurley...

The fans in the stands went ballistic 20+ years ago when the Tech band covered the mutt logo in the middle of the field with a portable Tech logo. Can you imagine how they would react to something like that. It would be worth a trip to the cesspool to experience that....LOL

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In the 1st play #50 basically missed his block (not an easy block) but we could have got to 2 probably to set up Mills.
In 2nd, we really didn't block that well at all.53 chose the wrong man to block and the Aback missed his block--to have any chance at all we needed better..
On Qua's run, it did look like the DEf "saw" something.Maybe the key to success for us was their DT realized the play unfolding and left the middle for the outside toward JT.With him leaving there was a lane for Qua. --Sweet.