Been thinking about the Searcy TD against uga

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If you watch Jet after the rocket toss on first down he was wide open for a throwback to him. CPJ probably saw that and filed it away for later. (For some reason UGA was not fooled on third down and Jet was covered.) Also on first down the BB stopped at the LOS and drew no coverage. On the third down call the BB continued on a pass pattern left into the end zone and drew coverage in the area Jet was moving toward. Notice the number of UGA defenders on each play in the area we wanted to throw to on third down. Maybe the BB difference in play (for whatever reason) unfortunately influenced the coverage on JET on third down, but even more noticeably all UGA LBs aggressively pursue the rocket toss on first down, but on third down a UGA LB was "on the lookout" for Jet and immediately spotted and chased him. It appears UGA was not looking for the throwback on first down but got clued in to look for it on third down.
Good observations. Also, 1st down was from the right hash mark, 3rd was from the left. So the left side of the field where JT was going was more densely populated from the start.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The 2nd down play could've been a TD. We had the numbers (a blocker for each defender). The UGA force player gets credit for keeping outside leverage position, but it looked like Lynch could've still beat him to the corner if he stayed outside. I think that's a TD. JT thought the same thing and told Lynch as much. But, Lynch was trying to make a play also. Things get tense at the end of the game like that and you start pressing.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Some folks must have suppressed this memory. Unfortunately I remember distinctly how I felt.

The QB throwback will either be wide open or it will fail most of the time - usually dependent on one defender being wise or not. A version of that play that I like is one where the routes are on the same side of the field rather than back to the QB. Throw to the AB or WR on the same side as the toss. One short, one long. Then you force the defenders to make a decision. The defenders on the playside there are geared up to stone that rocket toss, so when an AB or WR goes to block them, their primary thought is to defeat the block, but then as the approach happens, the AB/WR just blows right by them. And, if the defender is wise to it, then he's running with the receiver instead of coming up to make a tackle, leaving room for the toss runner to gain some yards on the run. This also has the potential to make regular rocket tosses more effective because defenders who are wise to it are now thinking about it instead of flying up quickly to defeat blocks and make the tackle. It's similar to our option play-action where we often have guys blowing by the defenders and ending up wide open for the same reasons.

You could still leak the QB out the other side (chance he could be wide open as well, and he has nothing else to do). The BB could also run short route to the flats on the playside creating a bit of a flood route. Defenders would be hard pressed to be in position to both stop the runner from getting yards AND cover all 3 receivers on that side. The difficulty lies on the AB to make a very quick decision. It would be a similar reaction to a BB player on a fast-break - "take it myself or dump it off to my teammate", also similar to QB's decision to pitch or keep. You've got the numbers, just "hit it where they ain't".

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely love CPJ, but he does sometimes make really strange play calls. IMO, this was one where Qua, even if it was a designed option, proved himself smarter than the coach.
I'd like to remind us of one thing-- Qua actually executed the play as he had been coached.

When CPJ called that play, he told Qua "...not to force it. If it isn't there, pull it down and do anything other than throw an Interception. Just get all you can get and live to run one more play." Qua did as he was told, and it created what will go down as one of the most storied moments in Jackets football history.

I'd like to remind us of one thing-- Qua actually executed the play as he had been coached.

When CPJ called that play, he told Qua "...not to force it. If it isn't there, pull it down and do anything other than throw an Interception. Just get all you can get and live to run one more play." Qua did as he was told, and it created what will go down as one of the most storied moments in Jackets football history.
So I will modify what I originally said from Qua being smarter than CPJ to Qua being smart enough to do what he was told to do. Sadly, for various reasons, that is not always what players do. All the more credit to Qua for doing what he did. Needless to say, it was an AWESOME execution of the play as called.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
So I will modify what I originally said from Qua being smarter than CPJ to Qua being smart enough to do what he was told to do. Sadly, for various reasons, that is not always what players do. All the more credit to Qua for doing what he did. Needless to say, it was an AWESOME execution of the play as called.
What CPJ would say in all honesty was that, of course, Qua's execution and decision making that led to a TD was more than anyone expected. When he pulled it down and took off, he got way more out of it than was reasonable. Thank goodness.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What CPJ would say in all honesty was that, of course, Qua's execution and decision making that led to a TD was more than anyone expected. When he pulled it down and took off, he got way more out of it than was reasonable. Thank goodness.
Right, Qua actually makes two great plays. The first, which few fans talk about, is the decision not to throw the dadgum ball.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ needs to run this the first play this year against uga. Make them relive it, and put it in their mind for the rest of the game.
I'm much rather see a handoff to Mills where our OL knocks the snot out of their DL and MLB, Dedrick trucks a safety, steps on his chest as he's doing it, then drags about 5 or 6 mutts several yards downfield before finally going down.