Been thinking about the Searcy TD against uga

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
We all know the situation, 40 seconds to go, 3rd and goal, uga. In the most critical play of the most critical game of last year, CPJ had enough confidence in Searcy's passing to call that play, a play we had not run before in 2016. A play where Searcy rolls right and throws back across the field, one of the harder throws for a full time QB even if Thomas had been wide open.

Either CPJ was out of ideas and desperate (which I doubt), or he had saved this play all year, or it was something he had recently noticed about Searcy. Has anyone heard CPJ say why?

If it was something CPJ had recently noticed and put into the playbook, will we see that play again this year. I remember CPJ running an end around pass with both Stewart and Smelter the previous two years, but I can't remember an AB pass. If Marshall goes from QB to AB, and he passes from that position, I don't see how safeties will be able to support the run defense when Marshall is in the game. They will have to think twice even when Searcy is in the backfield from now on. I want to see that play again and soon in the season.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
He ran it with BeBe against Miami in 2008.
Again, an end around pass. That's what makes the play against uga more interesting. We got any high school qb's playing wr?

Mitchell played some AB in 2015. Would have been a good time to try it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We all know the situation, 40 seconds to go, 3rd and goal, uga. In the most critical play of the most critical game of last year, CPJ had enough confidence in Searcy's passing to call that play, a play we had not run before in 2016. A play where Searcy rolls right and throws back across the field, one of the harder throws for a full time QB even if Thomas had been wide open.

Either CPJ was out of ideas and desperate (which I doubt), or he had saved this play all year, or it was something he had recently noticed about Searcy. Has anyone heard CPJ say why?

If it was something CPJ had recently noticed and put into the playbook, will we see that play again this year. I remember CPJ running an end around pass with both Stewart and Smelter the previous two years, but I can't remember an AB pass. If Marshall goes from QB to AB, and he passes from that position, I don't see how safeties will be able to support the run defense when Marshall is in the game. They will have to think twice even when Searcy is in the backfield from now on. I want to see that play again and soon in the season.
I don't like that play very much at all, even when it is set up well, and I don't think this one was. (The first keeper sweep was too close to the throwback, I think.) But all that aside, what I remember most is a friend from Clemson calling me the next day, raving about Searcy's full gainer into the end zone: "That was an incredibly athletic play." It sure was, and demonstrated why playmakers sometimes have to go make a play.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
With the game on the line, I really like putting faith in our guys on the field to make it happen.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our skill guys are beasts rushing and receiving. I'd be ok if all they did preseason was work on blocking drills, assignments and execution. If we block well this year they will have to recalculate offensive FEI again.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I don't like that play very much at all, even when it is set up well, and I don't think this one was. (The first keeper sweep was too close to the throwback, I think.) But all that aside, what I remember most is a friend from Clemson calling me the next day, raving about Searcy's full gainer into the end zone: "That was an incredibly athletic play." It sure was, and demonstrated why playmakers sometimes have to go make a play.

That was an incredibly athletic play. In addition to it being an unusual "trick" play what I liked about it was that the play was designed to get the ball to either JeT or Qua, two of our most athletic players. I doubt Qua's leap could have been duplicated by many players.

Milwaukee

Banned
They said they knew it was coming. So either they have practice rats at GT (highly likely) or Smart was just confused and trying to best answer a question that he thought he should be in the know about (highly likely).

Pick your poison. Either way it's a bad look for him imo.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
They said they knew it was coming. So either they have practice rats at GT (highly likely) or Smart was just confused and trying to best answer a question that he thought he should be in the know about (highly likely).

Pick your poison. Either way it's a bad look for him imo.

Crazy

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Oh man, this play...what an incredible play by Searcy......and what a terrible play call (and set of consecutive calls) by CPJ (love him, just not his best moment)

We have first and goal from the 6 and we didn't run Mills once. Dude probably scores on first down carrying the entire defense in with him, but even if he doesn't I don't see how he gets denied on consecutive runs. It was stressing me out so much at the time, but hell, we won anyways. What a great ending!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Q is one of the best athletes to play Aback that we have had. A former high school quarterback with excellent speed and change of direction but most of all, he is as someone noted the very definition of a PLAYMAKER. I do not think that this series of play calls once we got in the red zone was one of Coach Johnson's better moments but he put the ball in the hands of a man that could make a play one way or another. Personally, I thought they were pretty gassed and a couple of Mills runs with good blocking would have sufficed. Can't remember if we had any timeouts left to do that. If Qua does not play another down in his career, he has with that one play become a Tech immortal. It was that good.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Q is one of the best athletes to play Aback that we have had. A former high school quarterback with excellent speed and change of direction but most of all, he is as someone noted the very definition of a PLAYMAKER. I do not think that this series of play calls once we got in the red zone was one of Coach Johnson's better moments but he put the ball in the hands of a man that could make a play one way or another. Personally, I thought they were pretty gassed and a couple of Mills runs with good blocking would have sufficed. Can't remember if we had any timeouts left to do that. If Qua does not play another down in his career, he has with that one play become a Tech immortal. It was that good.

I think we had one timeout, but I'm not sure. We ran on first and second down before calling this play though, so it's not like running wasn't an option. There was also like 1:40 left on first down or something like that...it was just crazy.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These are the last three plays. Watch play 1 and then play 3... what gave the 3rd play away... why did 4 defenders stay on the backside?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If you watch Jet after the rocket toss on first down he was wide open for a throwback to him. CPJ probably saw that and filed it away for later. (For some reason UGA was not fooled on third down and Jet was covered.) Also on first down the BB stopped at the LOS and drew no coverage. On the third down call the BB continued on a pass pattern left into the end zone and drew coverage in the area Jet was moving toward. Notice the number of UGA defenders on each play in the area we wanted to throw to on third down. Maybe the BB difference in play (for whatever reason) unfortunately influenced the coverage on JET on third down, but even more noticeably all UGA LBs aggressively pursue the rocket toss on first down, but on third down a UGA LB was "on the lookout" for Jet and immediately spotted and chased him. It appears UGA was not looking for the throwback on first down but got clued in to look for it on third down.