BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This season, like last season, is a disaster, Coach Thacker may win the title “Worst DC in FBS”, the honeymoon with Collins is over, all of the “juice” has been squeezed out of this lemon, and more and more longtime fans are finding less painful ways to spend their Saturdays. The only question remaining for me is whether the Boo Birds will finally return from Capistrano this year...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'll make an offer- to @Ibeeballin, or whoever wants to defend Collins at this point. I'll bet $1000 that Collins, before he is fired or leaves, will never give Tech a better season than CPJ did, and will never have a better winning percentage over his time at Tech than CPJ did. If he meets either of those criteria, you win, if he meets neither I win.

slugboy

Staff member
Which year was it when CPJ was here that the defense was so bad that we simplified it mid-season and we got much better?
I thought this was wry humor, but people took this literally. Johnson did this when Groh was DC and repeated it under Roof. The defense might have looked marginally better, but “much better” is a massive stretch, and it at best approached mediocre under Kelley.
Miles brooks, Tyson meiguez and khatavian franks all need quality playing time. Give them a shot over struggling old farts like curry
The DL is mostly underclassmen. Having some seniority helps their development. i.e. the other 9-10 guys on the defense will bear the brunt of that change. But the defense was awful yesterday and against Clemson.
Cuse...I'm not venting I just am concerned. This was not a rebuild. A rebuild was when O'Leary took over from Lewis. You coach to your personal. You need to win
If you asked another coach at another program, they’d call this a rebuild. Many of them did at the time. I’ll agree with you on the defense, though—I’d expect them to be better than last year, at least.
Advanced Box Score

I think PPA is broken a bit on 4th downs. I am fairly certain Graham got destroyed for his 4th and 13 play. While it wasn't a great play, I find it hard to really blame a kid on 4th and 13 and down a bunch, but it is what it is.

Positives
We did well when we got in scoring position.
Our OL did good job with rushing again (but we were not in a situation where we could establish the run sadly)
Our offensive success rate was actually pretty good

Nagatives
- You can find them yourself lol
I thought BC points per opportunity would be a lot worse. Havoc numbers were awful. We failed to get sacks and tackles for loss, and we should have. The numbers don’t tell the story on how bad a game this was defensively (to me, at least).

Even without the three turnovers, BC was getting points on almost every drive.

Look I ***** about Curry not being very good all the time too and I mentioned this in the chat today - as bad as Curry is, he's the only one around to even consistently miss a tackle.

So the other team is either choosing to block everyone else and leave Curry unblocked because they don't think he's very good and will miss the tackle or nobody else on our defense even knows how to get off a block and put themselves in a position to make a play. I have a hard time believing anyone is purposefully scheming their offense for scenario #1.

With a few exceptions, the tackling in the secondary was worse. Curry was second on the team in tackling. Quez Jackson was first, Carpenter and Thomas followed. Lockhart and Domineck led the DL in tackles, but they were way down the list. Tackles were heavy in the secondary.
In a defense where the linemen occupy the ol and the linebackers are supposed to make the tackles, that’s OK, but the amount of tackles coming from the front 4 is low—and when it comes from the front 6, it’s probably the linebacker making the tackle. Our defense isn’t one where the front 4 occupy the linemen in front of them (like a 3-4), so the low number of front 4 tackles isn’t good. I’ve been told you don’t want your safety as your leading tackler, and that’s what we had.
The DBs got screened and blocked effectively by BC, and sometimes by each other. On the BC scoring play where Curry was beaten to the edge, the WR had stoned the CB on that side, and the safeties weren’t able to make the play either. Curry and Domineck were the only two close enough to even miss a tackle, just like you said.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401234617
Not the biggest KQ fan but dead on the nose here. View attachment 9353
Collins has a big job squaring away the defense before the next game and before the end of the season. It’s hit obvious territory

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The turnovers have NOTHING to do with the fact that we did not force a punt until...what, late in the 3rd quarter?

Play some defense and stop the other team occasionally...then the turnovers will matter. This game was a disaster aside for the turnovers....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'll make an offer- to @Ibeeballin, or whoever wants to defend Collins at this point. I'll bet $1000 that Collins, before he is fired or leaves, will never give Tech a better season than CPJ did, and will never have a better winning percentage over his time at Tech than CPJ did. If he meets either of those criteria, you win, if he meets neither I win.

I agree with this. Yes, he will flip the roster, and make the job desirable again, but Geoff will probably end up washing Saban’s car with Butch Jones.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This season, like last season, is a disaster, Coach Thacker may win the title “Worst DC in FBS”, the honeymoon with Collins is over, all of the “juice” has been squeezed out of this lemon, and more and more longtime fans are finding less painful ways to spend their Saturdays. The only question remaining for me is whether the Boo Birds will finally return from Capistrano this year...
you know what is sad , I'm close to the point I don't care anymore I fear next Saturday will do it for me . I know we will lose but if they look like they aren't coached again and the defense looks as bad as the last two weeks I'll be to the point I don't care about the rest of the games. The last time I felt like this was B** L**** last year , maybe cause I'm older now but this seems worse.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Did we forget Graham had a worst OL and was learning the playbook last year? Yeah his decision on the 4th down wasn't great but that was one play. He still doesn't turn the ball over the way Sims does.

has Sims had longer with the playbook this year than Graham did last?

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what Todd Stansbury is thinking this morning. Georgia Tech is good at asking for money and spending it on contracts. Ask Paul Hewitt. If we have another season next year like this, the wolves will be howling.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry to spoil the party, but I wanted to take a pause from all this butt-hurt to remind GT fans that today is the 5th anniversary of the “Miracle on Techwood”!
View attachment 9344
So, in the spirit of naming memorable events in Tech football history, I’m thinking today’s effort could be labeled as the “Massacre in Massachusetts “! 🤣🤣🤣

yeah, it was nice to have that happen, and get our only FBS win that year.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
So daddy is mad his True Frosh DE who’s been here 5 months isn’t a day 1 starter. Not gonna go there but let’s just say he wasn’t a hot commodity in recruiting.
This is my biggest problem with Collins . This “culture” he is building seems a bit toxic to me. When you go out and recruit claiming you are building an elite program, the players that you are recruiting are going to assume they are the elite ones you are talking about. They are kids. It leads them to think that they are going to come in and play immediately because they are the elite and the existing players are not. There is no way this culture is driving unity within the team. The talent he is bringing in isn’t bad, but I don’t think he is truly building a team. I think he has a bunch of individuals, but not a team. Maybe he has a plan for it that I don’t know, but a great culture starts when a team expects more of themselves than their leaders.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed 100% Curry is by far the best we have in preparation and understanding of the game. But we aren't winning. He isn't at the level we need him as an athlete.

So we need to rotate the young guys in so they can start building the understanding Curry has due to his decade of being at GT😂.

We should be throwing in Meiguez and Wright in. Just so they can see the game speed and get some looks. We aren't winning 6 games this year so might as well build towards the future.

Curry will end up being a decent coach if he decides that route. Great understanding of the game, just not there as a player.
My thoughts exactly . 💯

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll have to watch it again - I thought it was snapped early before he called for it and wasn’t ready for it. I could be wrong - God knows my wife has told me so on all kinds of things today.

Haven't watched a replay, but it looked like he was looking left a little when the ball hit his hands.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what Todd Stansbury is thinking this morning. Georgia Tech is good at asking for money and spending it on contracts. Ask Paul Hewitt. If we have another season next year like this, the wolves will be howling.

Perhaps he’s thinking, “Honey, I’m going to take tomorrow off. Let’s go to an undisclosed location and watch the colors turn. For about a year.”