BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Rebuilds are when you take over a losing team. O'Leary took over from a 1 win Lewis team. Collins took over a 7 win bowl team. Would you say Johnson was in a rebuild when he took over from Gailey?

From just purely a technical standpoint, it is a rebuild of the offense. The scheme, the size of personnel needed for the scheme, and the distribution of positions all changed significantly. The defense isn't from a technical standpoint a rebuild, but the defense hasn't been good for several years. However, the defense seems to be getting worse instead of better.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Rebuilds are when you take over a losing team. O'Leary took over from a 1 win Lewis team. Collins took over a 7 win bowl team. Would you say Johnson was in a rebuild when he took over from Gailey?
I’m fine calling it a rebuild, but, let’s consider two points based on a study of thousands of games:

1. If the offensive team gets the ball, first and ten inside their own 10 yard line, the chances of them marching down to score a TD is 90-1, unless a long gainer of 30 yards or more is made by the offense. The offense ……WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BREAKDOWN on it’s own. (Fumble, penalties, interception, missed assignment, etc,)
  2. The study also showed that an offensive drive, a possession, of more than 12 plays will STOP itself with BREAKDOWNS…….unless the offense has a long gainer of 30 yards or more.
Think about that in terms of fumbles and other turnovers. And in terms of our own game planning.

Collins, if he doesn’t have the players, should run the most simple offense he can ... quick screens, stopping patterns, etc ... until the team has the necessary skills.

He may just be asking them to do too much at this stage of his plan.

From just purely a technical standpoint, it is a rebuild of the offense. The scheme, the size of personnel needed for the scheme, and the distribution of positions all changed significantly. The defense isn't from a technical standpoint a rebuild, but the defense hasn't been good for several years. However, the defense seems to be getting worse instead of better.
Ok...so with this logic CPJ was in a rebuild at least of the offense when he took over from Gailey. None if those players had any idea how to run it. And we won 9 games.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is my biggest problem with Collins . This “culture” he is building seems a bit toxic to me. When you go out and recruit claiming you are building an elite program, the players that you are recruiting are going to assume they are the elite ones you are talking about. They are kids. It leads them to think that they are going to come in and play immediately because they are the elite and the existing players are not. There is no way this culture is driving unity within the team. The talent he is bringing in isn’t bad, but I don’t think he is truly building a team. I think he has a bunch of individuals, but not a team. Maybe he has a plan for it that I don’t know, but a great culture starts when a team expects more of themselves than their leaders.
I have no idea what any of the coaches say to a player they are recruiting , I would hope they would tell the truth and tell them if you work hard and practice at 100 % you will see the field but some players do take longer to be ready to play; But it's hard to tell because very few of the so call great players in high school may not face or play against any the is as good as the players they will face in college.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll make an offer- to @Ibeeballin, or whoever wants to defend Collins at this point. I'll bet $1000 that Collins, before he is fired or leaves, will never give Tech a better season than CPJ did, and will never have a better winning percentage over his time at Tech than CPJ did. If he meets either of those criteria, you win, if he meets neither I win.

I think this is probably a very, very safe bet.

Also on offense we are not that young. Our WRs are Have been at Tech for at least 2 years some 4. Our O line has one Freshman but are Jrs and Srs. We are young at QB and at RB because we are playing Freshman. I watched the second half and watched Gibbs. He has talent with the ball but he is not very good at blocking. That is why Mason came in. If I am CDP I run a 2 back set. Gibbs and Mason and develop a fullback set. I bet BJS would be a heck of a fullback

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
According to the stats, Tech has a solid lock on last place in defense.

At least we are not FSU fans.

FSU is second to last. I recall there was lots of hype about how talented the FSU defensive line was supposed to be. Top recruits. NFL prospects. All the usual stuff. I know stats can be very misleading. I have not watched FSU much this years, so the stats could be very misleading.

My question based on the argument that FSU has "elite" players on defense, why has their defense performed so poorly?

Is it coaching, players being over rated, players not playing to their potential, not playing as a team, rebuilding under a new coach who does not have his players? All of the same things we are discussing here.

Maybe I am trying to rationalize that it could be worse.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ok...so with this logic CPJ was in a rebuild at least of the offense when he took over from Gailey. None if those players had any idea how to run it. And we won 9 games.
I would think it is easier to get a big guy to lose a little weight than it is to get a smaller guy to grow a few inches and add 30 pounds.

Also, that year the defense was the reason that games early in the year were won. The offense didn't really start putting up big numbers until later in the year.

I am not arguing that the coaches are doing everything they can and the only reason GT isn't winning is because of the players. I think it is obvious that there are some issues with coaching. I also think it is obvious that the personnel last year didn't fit the offense that the coaches want to run. The offense actually looks much better this year than last, so personnel adjustments appear to be making a difference there.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Also on offense we are not that young. Our WRs are Have been at Tech for at least 2 years some 4. Our O line has one Freshman but are Jrs and Srs. We are young at QB and at RB because we are playing Freshman. I watched the second half and watched Gibbs. He has talent with the ball but he is not very good at blocking. That is why Mason came in. If I am CDP I run a 2 back set. Gibbs and Mason and develop a fullback set. I bet BJS would be a heck of a fullback
i agree would lpve to see Mason and Gibbs in the backfield together , still not sure why BJS moved from LB as short as we are at LB

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bottom Line:

- Team is not showing overall improvement or growth, in my opinion.
- Team starts many games like they haven't yet gotten off the bus (yesterday's start was a good example)
- Results will make a difference in recruiting and internal frustrations (more likely to lead to portal entries and decommits) - I don't care what anyone believes - this is true.
- Team appears to have discipline issues - maybe this coaching staff does give out tough love, but I am not sure based on what I see
- The only 2 times the team appeared fully prepared was the first game (Camp to prepare) and against Louisville (2 weeks to prepare). So far, with only 1 week to prepare, the team has not looked prepared in my opinion.

With all of that said, I don't believe we have reached critical mass yet, and I believe the coaching staff might still be able to turn this around going into 2021. But, we need to end the season with improved play and fundamentals - and definitely, reduce penalties and turnovers.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Graham had less turnovers the entirety of last year, with a worse OL and new playbook, than Sims has over 6 games this year. Turnovers are what's killing us this year and Graham looked like he greatly improved over last year in his short and intermediate passes, and we know his deep ball is good, so I think starting Graham wouldn't be a bad idea.

Like I said, I think Sims would benefit from standing on the sideline and watching defenses to learn that way he doesn't have to worry about "carrying the team on his shoulders". He gets to watch and read the defense from the sideline and make mental notes.
Totally agree

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I might be wrong, but i think it is being insinuated That Gleason might be leaving. Has anyone heard anything?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Bottom Line:

- Team is not showing overall improvement or growth, in my opinion.
- Team starts many games like they haven't yet gotten off the bus (yesterday's start was a good example)
- Results will make a difference in recruiting and internal frustrations (more likely to lead to portal entries and decommits) - I don't care what anyone believes - this is true.
- Team appears to have discipline issues - maybe this coaching staff does give out tough love, but I am not sure based on what I see
- The only 2 times the team appeared fully prepared was the first game (Camp to prepare) and against Louisville (2 weeks to prepare). So far, with only 1 week to prepare, the team has not looked prepared in my opinion.

With all of that said, I don't believe we have reached critical mass yet, and I believe the coaching staff might still be able to turn this around going into 2021. But, we need to end the season with improved play and fundamentals - and definitely, reduce penalties and turnovers.
I agree, but not may not after the last 2 games I think we have reached that point, I think we see a lot more players leave after this season maybe thay would be a good thing if you don't believe in the coaches it is better to go then stay and cause problems

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
This is my biggest problem with Collins . This “culture” he is building seems a bit toxic to me. When you go out and recruit claiming you are building an elite program, the players that you are recruiting are going to assume they are the elite ones you are talking about. They are kids. It leads them to think that they are going to come in and play immediately because they are the elite and the existing players are not. There is no way this culture is driving unity within the team. The talent he is bringing in isn’t bad, but I don’t think he is truly building a team. I think he has a bunch of individuals, but not a team. Maybe he has a plan for it that I don’t know, but a great culture starts when a team expects more of themselves than their leaders.

Our arguably most "elite" position is RB. Do these guys get along, or is this "toxic" environment that you're talking about have them at each other's throat?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
There's a whole lot more to it than that. If you can't see it, I can't help you.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

Agreed on the defense.