BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
The 3 problems with this team that I see and scare me!
1. The players can't grasp what our coaches are trying to teach them.
2. The coaches don't know how to teach them.
3. Neither side knows how to do their job!
All 3 add up to one very bad football team.

slugboy

Staff member
Sooo question. O'Leary had his best year in 1998. How many of those players were actually Bill Lewis recruits. And on the flip side, in 2002 and 2003 we were the standard 7 win team. Since there are no records for recruiting back then, did O'Leary truly recruit better, or maybe his coaches were just better coaches. CRF was....but CTR was not.... Just flowing with the recruiting flow.
George O'Leary took over in 1994, so not many--however, Lewis had plenty of talented players.

2001 was George Godsey's last year. Andy Hall was his backup and went on to get drafted to the NFL, but from another school. The 2002 and 2003 teams had plenty of talent, but we didn't cultivate our next next QB at any time under Gailey, who I'd say failed to understand recruiting for his first several seasons at Tech, and he neglected his first recruiting class. By the time he figured out recruiting, we'd fired him.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The ball was on their 19.
Ah; I had quit watching by that time. And, of course, we weren't going to try an FG at this point, right? But why not? They were already way ahead; if we kick it, we at least have a chance for points. (Paul used to do this; that's where my moniker comes from.) That makes two really freaking special teams calls in one game.

Makes you think.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
This same thing happened towards the middle of the year last year as well. It makes sense that during the season media content will decline though. One of the main reasons any team does that type of things is to keep the program at the front of the minds of people, while games are going on the games serve that purpose.
It does seem out of character to no longer have weekly coaches shows - that is outside of bye weeks. Did CPJ do one most every week ?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ah; I had quit watching by that time. And, of course, we weren't going to try an FG at this point, right? But why not? They were already way ahead; if we kick it, we at least have a chance for points. (Paul used to do this; that's where my moniker comes from.) That makes two really freaking special teams calls in one game.

Makes you think.
Down by 21 with 7:30 left in the game a FG does you absolutely no good. You are still down by three scores. It isn't good to be in that position and there is very little chance of coming back, but going for it is the only chance to be able to come back in the game.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Makes you think.

You could kick a FG on the grounds of trying to build some confidence for the kicker, but that approach doesn't really mesh with the decision to kick the onside. It was a long shot but the onside kick was sending a message of fighting until the end, and with over 7 minutes left there was still a chance a comeback could be mounted if you get a TD there.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You could kick a FG on the grounds of trying to build some confidence for the kicker, but that approach doesn't really mesh with the decision to kick the onside. It was a long shot but the onside kick was sending a message of fighting until the end, and with over 7 minutes left there was still a chance a comeback could be mounted if you get a TD there.
So you wanted to concede any and all chances of a comeback there to build confidence in a kicker? Sounds more like you wanted to kick the FG so the final score wouldn’t look as bad

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Sooo question. O'Leary had his best year in 1998. How many of those players were actually Bill Lewis recruits. And on the flip side, in 2002 and 2003 we were the standard 7 win team. Since there are no records for recruiting back then, did O'Leary truly recruit better, or maybe his coaches were just better coaches. CRF was....but CTR was not.... Just flowing with the recruiting flow.
1998 was O’Leary’s 4th season, so pretty much all of them were his players. We also went 9-3 in 2000, and that may have been a more talented team than the 98 team overall.
Go back and look at the players we had drafted that he recruited. Hell Daryl Smith just retired. I would trade any one player on our roster for a Key Fox, Daryl Smith, or Ricardo Wimbush... and they were all on the same team.

I get where you’re coming from, you don’t think better recruiting will make Geoff a success, and you can have that opinion. But let’s not pretend that the O’Leary teams were a bunch of walk ons, or guys like that wouldn’t have been NFL stalwarts without playing under O’Leary.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, that was meant for @takethepoints ’s post not yours

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. I believe he had just already assumed that the game was over, which at the time I had thought about as well. I don't think it makes sense to do it after kicking an onside kick, but if it had been a normal drive I wouldn't have been surprised by it.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
He walks no where but back to the sideline. You throw it give someone a chance downfield
Seems like the diff between Graham and Sims. Graham is too quick to tuck and run; Sims is too willing to take a shot. Both approaches have downsides. We were way out of the game, so I would've been in favor of Graham taking the shot in that situation.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
And Graham dispelled the notion he can't throw the short and intermediate passes.
While I admit that he has shown some progress on the accuracy of his short throws, he has no touch to the passes. The pass that Carter dropped, Graham threw it with the same velocity as if he was trying to throw 40 yards downfield even though Carter was only 5-10 yards out. He also had plenty of throws that were way off target so he is still inconsistent at best.

I like Graham and fully expected him to start at the beginning of the year and I believe he has improved from last year, but the reality is Sims is a better overall QB. Sims still makes freshman mistakes and has been a little loose with the ball at times but Graham did some dumb things too this last game. We already mentioned the decision to run on 4th and 13. He also made a stupid decision to flip the ball over a defender to Gibbs as he was being tackled. Gibbs was able to catch it and make a play (even though Graham was actually down) but that was a bad decision and he was lucky it was not a pick 6. Point is that Graham didn't show us anything that says he deserves to play over Sims.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
While I admit that he has shown some progress on the accuracy of his short throws, he has no touch to the passes. The pass that Carter dropped, Graham threw it with the same velocity as if he was trying to throw 40 yards downfield even though Carter was only 5-10 yards out. He also had plenty of throws that were way off target so he is still inconsistent at best.

I like Graham and fully expected him to start at the beginning of the year and I believe he has improved from last year, but the reality is Sims is a better overall QB. Sims still makes freshman mistakes and has been a little loose with the ball at times but Graham did some dumb things too this last game. We already mentioned the decision to run on 4th and 13. He also made a stupid decision to flip the ball over a defender to Gibbs as he was being tackled. Gibbs was able to catch it and make a play (even though Graham was actually down) but that was a bad decision and he was lucky it was not a pick 6. Point is that Graham didn't show us anything that says he deserves to play over Sims.
I guess it depends on what the “anything” is that you are looking for. The turnovers are killing momentum, and Graham didn’t turn the ball over. So to me, that was significant.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all are absolutely ridiculous with your crapping on Graham for his mistakes and giving him no credit on the things he did right, and doing the exact opposite for Sims. Does Sims have a higher ceiling? Yea probably. Is Sims the qb of the future? Yea probably. Does Graham need to start over Sims? No, probably not. But good god give the man some credit, he came in late in the game and scored some points without turning the ball over and showed improvement over where he was at last year.