Baseball - Preseason (too early?)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this is exactly right concerning our pitching from the Macon Telegraph:
"But pitching is a different issue. There is a long list of players with potential. There is a short list of players who have proved it."

Also:
Anticipation has been building for a while,” Johnson said. “We couldn’t be more excited. We’re ready to get things rolling and have high expectations for this season.

I know I'm jacked up for the season and expect that the 299 other college D1 teams and fans are too. The Macon Telegraph speculates that King will start Sunday.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/sports/college/acc/georgia-tech/article133173594.html#storylink=cpy

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll bet Gibson or Parr start Sunday.
I'm hearing it may be Gibson. As @THWG mentions, Parr was very good in relief last year. If I recall correctly, CDH had very high praise for Gibson last year preseason and he also had flashes of some good stuff last year---if he has improved his command, he could be a really good pitcher for us.

So if it is Gibson...we will be starting 2 freshmen and a sophomore on opening weekend. I keep forgetting Hughes is a RS Freshman.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........ So if it is Gibson...we will be starting 2 freshmen and a sophomore on opening weekend. I keep forgetting Hughes is a RS Freshman.

LOL, if right, three opening pitchers with a combined 68.2 IP in their collegiate careers. Has to be among the least experienced of the 300 D1 teams.

Oh well, we just need to score more runs than the other team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Throw STRIKES!!! In college baseball especially, THROW STRIKES.
Here's a comparison.

Pitcher G.1:
BA Against: .272
BB/IP 0.29
ERA 2.48

Pitcher G.2:
BA Against: .277
BB/IP 0.72
ERA: 4.40

Ga Tech's offense will score runs and the defense will bail pitchers out when they miss in the zone...usually (statistically). Just throw strikes....don't give the opposition free base runners, higher pitch counts, and flat footed defenders.

GO YELLOW JACKETS!!

Did anyone else see that the 1st batter in the 1st game of the 2017 NCAA baseball regular season (today) hit a HR? :) Pretty cool. Kid from UC Santa Barbara v Loyola Marymount.

Last edited: