Baseball - Preseason (too early?)

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
D1 Bseball has us finishing 4th in Coastal! But still a regional host.

I'll take the regional host part. http://d1baseball.com/season-preview/2017-conference-previews-acc/
Top 2017 Draft prospects:
25th Kel Johnson

Top 2018 Draft prospects
5th Jonathan Hughes
17th Brandt Stallings
19th Joey Bart
23rd Tristin English (they did mention his TJ surgery)
27th Carter Hall

Impact Freshmen
4th Xzavion Curry
29th Austin Wilhite
30th Nick Wilhite

Most interesting quote:
"The Jackets are a mortal lock to mash again this year, and if their big arms can stay healthy, they could be legitimate Omaha contenders."

Mentioned Hughes should be Friday starter, Curry likely Saturday. Ryan is closing again. Also said "LHP Ben Parr and RHP Jake Lee figure to be other key pieces of a significantly deeper pitching staff."

Pretty positivity write up overall. Let's go Jackets!! It's still going to depend on our pitching---really need Hughes healthy, Ryan-King-Parr to step up as seniors, and then have some of those talented sophomores start reaching their potential.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Listening to the pod cast, they were high on us there too. There was some comment that English probably wouldn't play this year....... I would think that is 100%. But they assumed he wouldn't and said losing him was a big blow (duh).

But still they think we should get a regional spot and picked us to win this year.....

Really liked Curry and compared him to Marcus Stroman (I think) http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/stromma01.shtml

Some argument over our best power hitter - one is "obsessed" with Kel and the other likes Stallings better since he doesn't have the SOs.

I'll post some pitching related stuff on the pitching thread ......

Overall, one person had a bold prediction that FSU would win the CWS, another said UNC would be back to Omaha this year. I think the FSU prediction is more likely, but there's a reason we play the games.

Finally, let me again say that I recommend subscribing to D1 Baseball for their content. I like their podcasts a bit better than Baseball America.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Less than a week to go ...... I've got a time intensive job planned for the first part of the season to pass the time listening to Wiley call the games on WREK ........

D1 does position power rankings. Our infield should be very solid. Remember there are ~300 D1 baseball teams.

3rd - Trevor #6
SS - Carter Hall #35
2nd - Wade Bailey #38
1st - No one in top 50.
Catcher - not issued yet.

Outfield had Kel #25 and Brandt #35.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I just hope our pitching doesn't bite us again. It's a bad omen to lose English, who I consider as our most important player, and then learn that King is on a pitch count and can't start. I thought we signed a lot of pitchers in this years class, but Curry is the only one I hear about. I will be there Friday and hope things turn out much better.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Less than a week to go ...... I've got a time intensive job planned for the first part of the season to pass the time listening to Wiley call the games on WREK ........

D1 does position power rankings. Our infield should be very solid. Remember there are ~300 D1 baseball teams.

3rd - Trevor #6
SS - Carter Hall #35
2nd - Wade Bailey #38
1st - No one in top 50.

Game week!

Interesting they have Hall that high--I haven't heard that he is definitely the starter at SS yet. He probably will be, but think that is one position that was still undecided this past week.

Here are my projected starters in the field:
C - Bart
1B - Poje or Stallings
2B - Bailey
SS- Hall, Curry, A. Wilhite, or McCoy
3B - Craport
LF - Innis or Murray
CF - Peurifoy
RF - Stallings or Murray
DH - Kel

My projected pitchers for this weekend:
SP: Hughes, Curry, King (no order)
Closer: Zac Ryan
Relievers (3 different tiers depending on game score and number of pitchers needed): 1st-Dulaney, Gibson, Parr, Datoc. 2nd-Lee, Carpenter, Combs, Gooden, Thomas. 3rd-Winborne, Archer, Shadday, Schniederjans.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just hope our pitching doesn't bite us again. It's a bad omen to lose English, who I consider as our most important player, and then learn that King is on a pitch count and can't start. I thought we signed a lot of pitchers in this years class, but Curry is the only one I hear about. I will be there Friday and hope things turn out much better.

If King is on a pitch count, any idea what the count is?

A 20 pitch limit is a lot different than an 80 pitch limit. In any event, having a healthy unlimited King at the end of the year is what we need. But yes, we've watched our pitching sink in the quicksand of injuries too many times.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Game week!

Interesting they have Hall that high--I haven't heard that he is definitely the starter at SS yet. He probably will be, but think that is one position that was still undecided this past week.

Here are my projected starters in the field:
C - Bart
1B - Poje or Stallings
2B - Bailey
SS- Hall, Curry, A. Wilhite, or McCoy
3B - Craport
LF - Innis or Murray
CF - Peurifoy
RF - Stallings or Murray
DH - Kel

My projected pitchers for this weekend:
SP: Hughes, Curry, King (no order)
Closer: Zac Ryan
Relievers (3 different tiers depending on game score and number of pitchers needed): 1st-Dulaney, Gibson, Parr, Datoc. 2nd-Lee, Carpenter, Combs, Gooden, Thomas. 3rd-Winborne, Archer, Shadday, Schniederjans.
I have heard the following exceptions to your analysis:
1B - Kel or Poje
SS - Hall if he is off injured list. McCoy is also injured, Curry will pitch.
RF - Stallings
DH - No idea

SP: Hughes, Parr, Curry

Curry is on a 50 pitch count and will not start.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just looked at weekend weather in Atlanta. I'm jealous. @65Jacket enjoy Opening Day!!! Should be perfect mid-February (or really late-April) weather.

Regarding King... can't start? As in cannot start the season? Or due to pitch count, will be a bullpen guy?

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have heard the following exceptions to your analysis:
1B - Kel or Poje
SS - Hall if he is off injured list. McCoy is also injured, Curry will pitch.
RF - Stallings
DH - No idea

SP: Hughes, Parr, Curry

Curry is on a 50 pitch count and will not start.
So sounds like Austin Wilhite will likely be the starting SS at least until the other guys get healthy.

Heard Curry may be SP Friday afternoon. With King being on a 50 pitch count, then I'm assuming Hughes will start Saturday and then Parr or Gibson on Sunday?

Here's my guess on Friday's lineup:
2B Bailey
CF Peurifoy
3B Craport
DH Kel
RF Stallings
C Bart
1B Poje
LF Innis
SS A. Wilhite

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
......D1 does position power rankings. Our infield should be very solid. Remember there are ~300 D1 baseball teams.

3rd - Trevor #6
SS - Carter Hall #35
2nd - Wade Bailey #38
1st - No one in top 50.

Catcher came out with Joey at #31. A very solid infield.

D1 also put out the top 100 Freshman likely to have an impact. Given our pitching woes, #39 Xzavion Curry seems appropriate.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke
Using Pool A as an example, the pool play will look like this:
#1 v #5
#1 v #12
#5 v #12
Only 3 games per pool.

With 4 pools, that gets you games 1-12 Tues-Fri. At that point, only the pool "winners" advance to what becomes a single elimination 4 team tournament. Semi's on Sat. Championship on Sun.

Look like the tourney seeding is evolving.

Still not sure how they get to the pool winner, but it doesn't matter now. We just need to win.