Baseball - Preseason (too early?)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Does anybody know what the rotation is going to look like? I hope it is Hughes, English and Gibson but I haven't heard if Hughes and English are fully healed.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

THWG

Helluva Engineer

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nats have managed to acquire some quality ACC talent. (Off top of my head) Trea Turner (NCST) has all the tools to be a true superstar. Will be fun to watch him in DC as he matures. Spencer Kieboom (Clemson) is in the system...I think was called up this past season for a game (or a few) at the end the season. Now... Skole is making noise. His will be a great story if he breaks out and gets onto the Nats roster. Definitely pulling for him.

Also... Carter Kieboom (Spencer's brother) drafted & signed out of high school last year by Nats too.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Correct.

And I am quite curious what does determine the pool winner when all 3 teams are 1-1. I have to believe it's the high seed.

If it is similar to lower level play, then the run differential would determine who advances in the case of a three way, followed by # of runs scored if it is still tied. This would be more equitable than just using the seed of the team coming in.

SJ

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If it is similar to lower level play, then the run differential would determine who advances in the case of a three way, followed by # of runs scored if it is still tied. This would be more equitable than just using the seed of the team coming in.

SJ

Sounds as good as any method. So running up the score is the best strategy. What about when you are home team and don't get the chance to score in the ninth? Can you demand the ninth be played to rub it in? (Just kidding.)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

SJ
I have no problem with them using seed to break a three-way tie. After all those are based on a 30 game regular season conference schedule.

I'm pretty sure that's how they did it in previous ACC tournaments. 3-way ties were very rare with pools of 4 teams.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Odds of getting into majors ..... https://d1baseball.com/draft/mlb-draft-study-1996-2011/

Not surprising that college players are more likely to get the the majors after being drafted ..... they have a lot more experience and coaching.

Makes sense it's harder for pitchers to get to majors. They get injured a lot more and many more are drafted .......

Beesball only 40 days away.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Disclaimer: I did not look thoroughly across all sources

If I'm not mistaken while looking across the few published pre-season polls, you can conclude our schedule appears to be on the "weak" side. Perhaps weak is the wrong word; but the only ranked teams we play are ACC teams...and only half of our ACC competition is ranked. Not sure how I feel about that. At a minimum, I suppose I will become a "fan" of the teams on our schedule in hopes our RPI will be helped by their success.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With so many good teams in the ACC that we do play, the opportunity is there. The biggest thing for us having a good RPI is not losing at home to poor RPI teams. All that said, it seems that how a team performs in conference is considered more than RPI lately. That was how UNC at 11th in the ACC didn't make it ..... with a #19 RPI.

Still nothing on Tristin I could find. But I did come across the listing of every GT player to make it to the MLB. What caught my eye (again) was the long drought between 62 and 86 ..... thank-you again to Jim Luck for getting the program going again and Danny Hall for keeping the program up there.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/college/georgia_institute_of_technology_baseball_players.shtml

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Some schedule stuff....
56 Games total

Out of Conf: 26 games
OOC (Home): 16
OOC (Away): 9
OOC (Neutral): 1

ACC: 30 games
ACC Home: UNC, CLEM, LOU, PITT, UVA
ACC Away: MIA, WF, ND, VT, DUKE

2016 Breakdown...
OOC (H): 16-3
OOC (A): 5-1
OOC (N): 1-0
ACC (H): 7-8
ACC (A): 6-8

The 2016 OOC records are pretty impressive. Would be nice to improve on those... but they were pretty good in 2016. Highlighted by a 3 game sweep at home against National Champs, Coastal Carolina. That was huge! This year, we'll be traveling to Chicago for that late season OOC series against UIC. Means we have 3 fewer home OOC games in 2017.

As for the ACC schedule. Those 15 home games in the conference are a significant challenge. Can we improve on the 2016 record (7-8)... let's hope so. The good news... the road ACC games should be ripe for the taking (opening @MIA by far the toughest road series). We can/should be above .500 on road in the ACC.

We're into February! Baseball will happen in the current month. Also... felt obligated to post something about Tech baseball on NSD. I can walk and chew gum at the same time. Go JACKETS!!! :happy: