Banks waiver application

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Would he start at the 4 With Gueye or at the 5 instead of Gueye?

I doubt he starts at all. I would imagine he plays behind AD at the 5. I think ideally, he would play along side AD, but that would require him to have a skill set that compliments AD's style of inside oriented ball. We saw last year that AD doesn't really function to well at the 4, even with a big man who had quite a bit of skills away from the basket.

But this is big in the sense it gives us another body so we don't really have to worry about too much foul trouble. Between him, AD, and Ogbonda, we can throw a lot of length at opposing teams and if a guy picks up quick fouls we have a solid replacement, on the defensive end.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I doubt he starts at all. I would imagine he plays behind AD at the 5. I think ideally, he would play along side AD, but that would require him to have a skill set that compliments AD's style of inside oriented ball. We saw last year that AD doesn't really function to well at the 4, even with a big man who had quite a bit of skills away from the basket.

But this is big in the sense it gives us another body so we don't really have to worry about too much foul trouble. Between him, AD, and Ogbonda, we can throw a lot of length at opposing teams and if a guy picks up quick fouls we have a solid replacement, on the defensive end.

I think Banks will get a lot of minutes. This is great for this year, but means for 2020-2021 we better have recruited a replacement for him.

GT_EE78

Banned

Don't forget that last year AD lost his starting job to two (less than stellar) freshmen.I think Banks will be starting quicker than you think.
Unfortunately you may be right about them not being good together in the low post. But who knows,perhaps one of them will develop something more that a 6ft range. Not having to worry about the foul trouble is enough for now. I'm just happy he's available . (and hopefully is really on that plane!)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
One thing about him being eligible is that it helps balance the classes. We have 3 "juniors" in Phillips, Ogbonda, and Banks now. We have 4 sophs in Wright, Cole, Haywood, and Jose, and effectively 4 freshmen with Sjolund, Moore, Devoe, and Didenko coming in with 3 years eligibility. That is a pretty balanced spread, and we won't be losing too much any one year, although the current soph class will be hard to replace just because of how much they will have played by the time they are seniors.

Anyways hope he makes an impact and I look forward to seeing him progress under coach rev.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Is he saying he's the starting C tonight or is he saying "starting tonight" Banks is eligible?

I'm pretty sure that he's saying that he's eligible starting tonight. He's using "starting tonight vs. Tennessee" epexegetically to explain what "immediately" means.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Anybody know for sure how James will actually get to Knoxville by tip-off? Article says waiver came through after team left and that he did not travel with the team.