Bag man

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I just wish the NCAA would do some investigation, funny thing is, they probably think it would hurt them, but I think it would help. It would make the sport more competitive and I think NFL fans would start watching because of that. I also have a brother in law who is a Bama fan who doesn’t like watching all the games because of how bad they beat up on people, it’s just not fun. It really wouldn’t be that hard to fix something either imo.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Recruited to play football for whom? I read these stories frequently regarding college football - we've seen them posted on these pages. I don't doubt them, but I think it's against the rules for alumni or fans to do give/loan money/cars (isn't it?). Too bad it's almost never reported. I know most people have the opinion that the NCAA would look the other way, but it seems I never, ever in all these stories hear anyone say they reported it. Not in a single instance. If it's reported and nothing happens, it's on the NCAA. If it's not reported, it's on the person who's sitting on the information. Everybody knows all this stuff that goes on, and no one ever says anything. Curious. So many stories, so little reported. So much smoke, so little fire.

Like I said, I don't necessarily doubt the stories, but until someone has a story where they reported it and nothing happened, I'd say that the one who is looking the other way is the person sitting on the information. I understand you said they were friends of the family. But that can't always be true.

Why doesn't anyone ever say anything except on an internet fan board? I'm honestly asking this, and it seems like a very legitimate question to me. I just don't see how anyone can complain about the NCAA when nobody reports anything to them.

For Georgia football. I was in HS, friend from Colquitt County that ended up playing football for Georgia. Alum and friend of the family would lend him his car (he didn't need it - his parents were loaded - but the guy had nice cars) or give him $50 on a Friday to take out his girlfriend. No, I didn't report it, because I was 18 and it sounded awesome. And I never would've thought to "report" anything like that.

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
Recruited to play football for whom? I read these stories frequently regarding college football - we've seen them posted on these pages. I don't doubt them, but I think it's against the rules for alumni or fans to do give/loan money/cars (isn't it?). Too bad it's almost never reported. I know most people have the opinion that the NCAA would look the other way, but it seems I never, ever in all these stories hear anyone say they reported it. Not in a single instance. If it's reported and nothing happens, it's on the NCAA. If it's not reported, it's on the person who's sitting on the information. Everybody knows all this stuff that goes on, and no one ever says anything. Curious. So many stories, so little reported. So much smoke, so little fire.

Like I said, I don't necessarily doubt the stories, but until someone has a story where they reported it and nothing happened, I'd say that the one who is looking the other way is the person sitting on the information. I understand you said they were friends of the family. But that can't always be true.

Why doesn't anyone ever say anything except on an internet fan board? I'm honestly asking this, and it seems like a very legitimate question to me. I just don't see how anyone can complain about the NCAA when nobody reports anything to them.
I would assume if you reported an incident, your name would leak at some point. Do you really want the wrath of an entire fan base coming down on you? You would have to move to another part of the country....would be constant harassment, death threats, etc. And schools aren't reporting each other because they all know it's going on....no one wants that boomerang to come back around.

Tell me about it. Lio Lewis’ mom was one the phone with an Ole Miss coach and it was recorded. He was a 4 star and she told the coach LSU offered 60k and MissSt offered 80k Lio committed to Ole Miss but flipped on signing day. So I wonder what he got paid?

We forfeit the ACCCG over $300. It's appalling to me

We need to get better at playing "the game" behind the scenes

Paying recruits for sure

Even our own GT players believe in it

On Twitter someone asked a GT freshman on this yrs team why he didn't play at an HBCU - historical Blk College & University

His reply -- I'd be an idiot to play for free when others are willing to pay

Notice that he didn't mention a darn thing about STEM core or narrow curriculum

Our players ain't the studious little angels that some make them out to be

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Paying recruits for sure

Even our own GT players believe in it

On Twitter someone asked a GT freshman on this yrs team why he didn't play at an HBCU - historical Blk College & University

His reply -- I'd be an idiot to play for free when others are willing to pay

Notice that he didn't mention a darn thing about STEM core or narrow curriculum

Our players ain't the studious little angels that some make them out to be
Wow! Are you serious?

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, but it was not in the same context the other poster made it to be from my understanding. At least according to other comments, it was how HBCU doesn’t provide stuff that other programs do (that are legal) like computers ect.
Yeah thats what I thought. But I am surprised he said we should pay recruits. I wonder how many other GT fans feel this way.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
So, pay the FB and MBB players money but pay other sports (men’s and women’s) less or nothing? Gee, I’m sure there would be no Title IX issues with that idea. Also, I’m sure there would be no problems arising from issues such workers compensation, employment practices, federal and state (and some city) income taxes, and other “labor” considerations that come from compensating someone for duties performed.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
So, pay the FB and MBB players money but pay other sports (men’s and women’s) less or nothing? Gee, I’m sure there would be no Title IX issues with that idea. Also, I’m sure there would be no problems arising from issues such workers compensation, employment practices, federal and state (and some city) income taxes, and other “labor” considerations that come from compensating someone for duties performed.
Lol you realize this is how it is at all the factory schools.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
After Curry’s famous “we will bring them to their knees” tirade in the press, I face to face asked an Asscociate AD of ours why we did not turn those “cheating” into the ncaa.

I was directly told, “because you never know what they have on you.”

What would y’all take from that?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

And someone understands the truth.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought of that, but it still seems that if all these allusions to corruption were true the rats would be coming out of the woodwork at some point. That being said, I don't see how it would hurt for Tech to put a competent private eye on the case, strictly on the QT. Unless, of course, we're doing it, too (which I doubt - otherwise, why would our recruiting ranking be so low). As someone said, if we're doing it, we suck at it.
Was Cam Newton’s recruiting a pretty public exposure of bagmen? The NCAA just decided to look the other way.