B Back Transfer - Patrick Skov

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
I would guess it would have something to do with money. Given that he only has one year of eligibility left, I am guessing that he would have to pay for the second year. Stanford is ranked top 5, but Tech is also a very respectable top 25-30. That said, Stanford is about $63k per year, while Tech is closer to $30k. That is a pretty big difference. Add the opportunity to actually get to carry the ball for a year and that is an attractive option.
Not to mention if ours is hard to get into without professional experience, Stanford's has to be even more so.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Stanford's is one of the most elite (some say #1) in the country, and he might not be able to get accepted into it....just guessing....if his credentials are "decent", I hope we can get him in.

I think you guys are starting to overrate Stanford's MBA program

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
This kid would be a nice addition to the B-Back position as he would provide not only a mature player who is used to taking a pounding as a FB in the Stanford offense as a blocker, but more importantly it will allow CPJ to redshirt the incoming freshman B-Backs provided Marcus Allen stays healthy. While one of the true frosh will travel as a third B-Back for insurance just like Leggett did last season, his eligibility will remain intact if not needed to play.

Skov will carry the football more in the first quarter against Alcorn State than he has in his entire career at Stanford. Why would he not want to come to GT if he isn't granted admission into the Cardinals graduate school? I remember his brother LB Shane who just tore up VT in the Orange Bowl back in I believe 2010 or 2011.

I sure hope he can give CPJ a yes this coming week. I think this kid will be a nice addition behind a strong offensive line and a QB like Justin Thomas making the reads on the mesh. My thought is the unfortunate injury to Leggett might have just sealed the deal for Mr. Skov. My $.02.

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Problem is he can't get into Stnaford GSB. They probably only take 3-4 if that directly from undergrad. He probably has little to no proven business experience given summer limitations on players. GT will be much more flex on this requirement.

Dettmann1

Georgia Tech Fan
I think you guys are starting to overrate Stanford's MBA program

Ummmm...pretty sure in most business circles Stanford is now considered top 3 if not the top business school given how close it is to the Silicon Valley and the Tech community.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
This guy is from NJ. If he truly is making a 40 year decision, and wants to live and work on the east coast after graduation, he would be much better off going to a school on the east coast.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he can't get in? Maybe a GT MBA is more appealing when he has the opportunity to be the feature back in our offense.
I am struggling to see exactly what he brings to the table other than his size. He has no stats after four years at Stanford. Can someone enlighten me, because for the life of me I don't see what the hullabaloo is all about.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
O.K., I will admit it, I like the guy. I hope we get him. He looks like he would be the biggest B-back we have had and his speed looks comparable to Days. He has shown that he can move the pile in a "traditional" fullback role, which, to my mind, means he would have a lot more open field to run in with CPJ's spread option approach. So he brings to the table someone who can get the short yardage, can block on the mid line option and who can really punish a defense if he has even five yards of open field to get up a head of steam on. I am thinking he compares to someone like Cox from the past, but perhaps slightly more athletic.

If we don't get him I think we are fine with Allen and then whoever earns second string in the fall. But if we had him and Allen we could brutalize defenses in much the same way we did with Laskey (the faster guy, like Allen) and Days (the brawnier guy like Skov). Just my barely .02 worth.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If he can hold onto the rock, pick gaps and hit them decisively then at his size and body maturity he will be a load at B-back, a full grown man stepping in there. And we know the guy is smart enough to learn the playbook, and the coaches want him, they have seen something in his film that says he has the skillset needed toexcel or they would not be wasting a scholly. Personally i'm very excited about him.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
He's a big size that is used at the goal line. His expertise is blocking for both run and pass so on obvious pass downs he'd be great to have in for blocking schemes. He's physically mature and used to taking and giving beatings.

We're not saying he's going to rush for 1,000 yards but he definitely will make our team better.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I am struggling to see exactly what he brings to the table other than his size. He has no stats after four years at Stanford. Can someone enlighten me, because for the life of me I don't see what the hullabaloo is all about.

He would be the most game ready phsycially wise from the B Backs on our roster.

He's a tough runner who's played FB his whole career at Stanford...he's got a lot of blocking experience...doesn't have a lot stats to due being a FB.

Would give us more depth which is something we really need at B Back.

Why not take him for one year if we can? At worse he's a hammer in the red zone and gives us another body.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He would be the most game ready phsycially wise from the B Backs on our roster.

He's a tough runner who's played FB his whole career at Stanford...he's got a lot of blocking experience...doesn't have a lot stats to due being a FB.

Would give us more depth which is something we really need at B Back.

Why not take him for one year if we can? At worse he's a hammer in the red zone and gives us another body.
Okay, to all who responded and thanks. I yield to better judgment.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I see this as good for him and good for us. We don't know whether he will be much of a factor for us, but an educated guess would be that he probably would be a suitable sub. We really prefer having two B backs. Allen looks like the 1 at this point, but the 2 is wide open. We have other phenoms coming in August, but we have no idea how ready to play they will be by first game time. Little to lose by signing him if he is interested. From his football perspective -- not career perspective -- he has an excellent chance to get significant playing time in an offense which actually gives the ball to the fullback a lot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I said it earlier, don't expect fireworks from this guy if he does come to GT. Some want to say that he has great potential because he played fullback at Stanford and that somehow translates to being a good BB. I think that's a false assumption. The reason I say that is: Toby Gerhart.

Stanford has proven that in their "pro system" they will use that big bruising back and make them a feature runner. Gerhart piled up yardage at Stanford and he was a classic straight ahead battering ram. If you can run the ball, Stanford will play you. David Shaw is pretty good at evaluating talent...there's a reason Skov was the guy clearing the way for the guy carrying the ball, and not carrying the ball himself. The BB has to be physically tough like a fullback, BUT they also have to have quick feet to make space in tight spaces at the LOS after the mesh. Skov has less than 20 carries his entire career, and 94 carries coming out of his senior year in HS. That's not a lot of running with the ball the past 5+ years.

As some have stated, the attractive thing about Skov is he's got a physically developed body and college game experience. I think that's important, especially given that we've lost Leggett and possibly QFro, and might have to rely on two freshmen and a guy who was recently a WR and LB until the last 7 days of practice. I think CPJ would like let the freshmen BB mature with a redshirt, but that may not be possible. It makes it possible if Skov is in the picture then we have 2 BBs with college experience (if you include Marcus Allen).

I think Skov will be very serviceable at BB, something like Preston Lyons, but probably more like David Sims or Lucas Cox. That's fine, because those guys played their roles well for what they had. Just don't expect an Dwyer, Anthony Allen, or even Syjnjyn Days. Skov is depth move, not a move to find a premier BB.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I said it earlier, don't expect fireworks from this guy if he does come to GT. Some want to say that he has great potential because he played fullback at Stanford and that somehow translates to being a good BB. I think that's a false assumption. The reason I say that is: Toby Gerhart.

Stanford has proven that in their "pro system" they will use that big bruising back and make them a feature runner. Gerhart piled up yardage at Stanford and he was a classic straight ahead battering ram. If you can run the ball, Stanford will play you. David Shaw is pretty good at evaluating talent...there's a reason Skov was the guy clearing the way for the guy carrying the ball, and not carrying the ball himself. The BB has to be physically tough like a fullback, BUT they also have to have quick feet to make space in tight spaces at the LOS after the mesh. Skov has less than 20 carries his entire career, and 94 carries coming out of his senior year in HS. That's not a lot of running with the ball the past 5+ years.

As some have stated, the attractive thing about Skov is he's got a physically developed body and college game experience. I think that's important, especially given that we've lost Leggett and possibly QFro, and might have to rely on two freshmen and a guy who was recently a WR and LB until the last 7 days of practice. I think CPJ would like let the freshmen BB mature with a redshirt, but that may not be possible. It makes it possible if Skov is in the picture then we have 2 BBs with college experience (if you include Marcus Allen).

I think Skov will be very serviceable at BB, something like Preston Lyons, but probably more like David Sims or Lucas Cox. That's fine, because those guys played their roles well for what they had. Just don't expect an Dwyer, Anthony Allen, or even Syjnjyn Days. Skov is depth move, not a move to find a premier BB.

Fwiw, Tony Gerhart is listed as a RB not a FB on the cfbstats roster for 2009. Since 2010, no one listed as a FB has more than 13 carries for the year.

Skov was not the first FB on their roster in their typical pro-set but he had more carries last year than their #1 FB. It seems, without research, to me that he was probably like a 3rd down back or something. I suspect that he would fit in as a B-Back here better than seems assumed by many comments in this thread.