Votes: 52 15.9%
  • 60-69

Votes: 38 11.6%
  • >=70

Votes: 29 8.9%

• Total voters

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Now that's a question on everyone's mind! I assume you are speaking about Hummin Herman Talmadge?...Damn I guess just knowing that name puts me in the old group!
Hummin is what his daddy called him. Herman was a playboy all his life and a drunk most of it, including some sessions of the Senate Watergate Committee, when one member said he was the smartest on the committee, handicapped by being the drunkest. When Eugene was governor, the story is, the AJC was hammering Herman pretty good for his partying in the governor's mansion, Playboy Club before there was one. He told his daddy he was tired of it, that "Journal Constitution paper will not leave me alone, and I am going to sue them for libel." Eugene's sage advice was supposed to have been, "Hummin, don' t you never sue no newspaper for libel. They might prove it."

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hummin is what his daddy called him. Herman was a playboy all his life and a drunk most of it, including some sessions of the Senate Watergate Committee, when one member said he was the smartest on the committee, handicapped by being the drunkest. When Eugene was governor, the story is, the AJC was hammering Herman pretty good for his partying in the governor's mansion, Playboy Club before there was one. He told his daddy he was tired of it, that "Journal Constitution paper will not leave me alone, and I am going to sue them for libel." Eugene's sage advice was supposed to have been, "Hummin, don' t you never sue no newspaper for libel. They might prove it."

Here is a great write up on it

https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/counties-cities-neighborhoods/county-unit-system

There are some folks mentioned in there that I knew very well

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Good get. Thanks. The name James Gray leaped off the page, publisher of the Albany Herald, voice and leader of the last bitter holdouts for segregation, effects of which are still being felt in that area. They did not, and do not I gather, go quietly.

Like most at the time it didn't happen overnight but Gray was not an Albany or a Ga native. By 1966 when he ran for Governor he fully understand the disaster that was segregation. He became very close to Hubert Humphrey and you can imagine how that went over here!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
635976271213800154-397297692_image.jpeg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Like most at the time it didn't happen overnight but Gray was not an Albany or a Ga native. By 1966 when he ran for Governor he fully understand the disaster that was segregation. He became very close to Hubert Humphrey and you can imagine how that went over here!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I was out of the state too soon, it seems. With that association I can imagine the apoplexy greeting that one.

Love your decision making and wisdom, but how did that even happen ??
In 1980 I had this plan to major in pre-forestry. I have always been an outdoors kind of a guy. Plan being working with Georgia Pacific. UGA has a very good forestry school and why go out of state. I later switched to business. Looking back as my career has been technical, I probably should have gone to Tech.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
In 1980 I had this plan to major in pre-forestry. I have always been an outdoors kind of a guy. Plan being working with Georgia Pacific. UGA has a very good forestry school and why go out of state. I later switched to business. Looking back as my career has been technical, I probably should have gone to Tech.
Like Satchel Paige used to say : " Don't look back, somebody might be gaining on you ". Anyway, you are one of the Good Guys now !!