Auburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Auburn has an interesting way to run it. They vary their split alignment, and pull a guard (sometimes) to create a running lane.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How about that Missou defensive alignment? How could anybody think that is a good idea?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
They don't cut block that much, they run a lot of power plays from the gun. A ton of misdirection, you really have to play to your assignments.

I give Malzahn credit he has adapted this offense to fit to Marshall's strengths, it's a lil different than when Cam was QB, or even when he was at Ark St.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
So reading the comments on this game it appears that the consensus is that execution matters and adjusting the offense to your players on the field matters. The actual x and o offense does not matter.
Did I read you guys correct?

P/S - I still cannot believe UGA recruited Marshall as a DB. He is still the best high school QB I have ever seen play.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So reading the comments on this game it appears that the consensus is that execution matters and adjusting the offense to your players on the field matters. The actual x and o offense does not matter.

P/S - I still cannot believe UGA recruited Marshall as a DB. He is still the best high school QB I have ever seen play.

All about being able to execute...

Vern started to comment about WHY Marshall was no longer in Athens, but "forgot" to finish... IIRC- he and two other freshmen were caught stealing from fellow students/players.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I know about the thefts - bad mistake.

But that does not change the fact that UGA recruited him as a DB. Reason on the street was that he was not the pro-style drop back passer they want in their offense. But Richt won a NC at FSU coaching Charlie Ward as the QB.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe wrong thread, but I want Auburn in Natty Title vs FSU. Some body can shut them SEC bastards up. Personally would love to see FSU vs Bama, cause then lets hear the SEC homers excuses how their grand champion got beat by an ACC {theory} school.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck

Marshall chose uGAG to play DB, didn't want to do film work required by a QB

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Heard we where a finalist for Marshall, I would like to think Paul wanted him as QB. Eric, any ears on this?

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Heard we where a finalist for Marshall, I would like to think Paul wanted him as QB. Eric, any ears on this?

Not sure where it is; it may be in this thread, but I think Eric has mentioned that Marshall was actually a silent commit to us but switched to uga when his cousin was offered by them. That is what I understood but could be wrong haha

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure where it is; it may be in this thread, but I think Eric has mentioned that Marshall was actually a silent commit to us but switched to uga when his cousin was offered by them. That is what I understood but could be wrong haha
Yea I heard the silent commit as well, Paul wouldn't be a fool taking him as a DB, but c'mon that's a QB in Pauls system

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

That was my understanding at the time.

I have not heard the film story before.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
See here's the thing, I don't think well be anymore successful running in other sort of offense until we get more physical players on the line. I'm a firm believer that the line is what dictates how successful an offense can be.
Agree with you....give me auburn skill guys......,and I will run the single wing....man are they fast.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I may be only one but like the Auburn offense and think we could do it..we already run the option and we have almost same blocking rules they have and with Lee in the spread he has time to run or throw and we do have speed.yeah its different but remember PJ took over from Chan and in less than a wink we were running the option..If we stick with the 30 and think we do we must have a option qb that can read quick.Speed kills and a hesitant thought kills us at LOS.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We talk about tailoring the offense to the players, and I agree to a point, but it raises the question in my mind: what is the right offense for our guys? I am not so sure that Vad would be that great running option out of the backfield. Thus far, when we do, he looks just as bad making reads out of that MESH too (small sample size, I admit). He will still need to make equivalent pitch reads on the edge that he has struggled with in our offense. He has the apparent body type, throwing ability, and speed (last year) to do it. I just don't know. If you ask me (and don't start hyperventilating like I am calling for the 3rd string guy, because I am not) Byerly has made the best reads and handled the deep MESH better than either of our other guys. I would put JT second as far as that goes.

If Vad does improve at option reads, why not leave him in our current scheme? One of his biggest strengths is the speed and depth of his drop. He won't be hurt that much staying under center. It may turn out that we run a lot more deep stuff next year and I will be fine with it, if it happens. However, I want to do it because we prove we are actually better at it and not because it is trendy or fancy.

One of the hardest temptations to fight is seeing a team have a great game and then say why don't we copy what they do? I am still scratching my head over how Missou was lined up. Had they come out like that against the flexbone, GT would have had a field day too. It was ridiculously easy for Allbarn to seal the edge last night. I mean, Missou had 3 DLs all bunched well inside the OTs with every other defensive player at least 3 yards back off the LOS. Blocking angles were so easy to get. You have to go all the way to Mickey Andrew's (FSU) first attempt against us in 2008 (2 DTs crashing the center trying to stop the dive) to see a scheme that stupid. Just close your eyes for a second and think about what we would do against a defense that put a TOTAL of 3 players on the LOS. Most of the year we were facing 6. Obviously, Missou hadn't played against any option in a while and their DC was a little ill prepared with the single week he had. Until this week he had no reason to even anticipate having to make such decisions. Do you think Missou was busily preparing option defensive strategies in the off season? Nobody runs it in the SEC, nobody besides a team that wasn't on their season schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.