Attrition and Scholarship Limits

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ll ask again a different way and maybe someone knows.

Do we sign 4 year scholarship agreements with our players ? If not, why if it’s a 4 yr commitment GT’s making?

What is being sold in living rooms? If a coach wants to be upfront that you either make the 2 deep or get cut. Fine.

But honestly, you know that’s not the pitch being made.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
It definitely covers the essence of the thread debate. Notice the language on "athletic performance". Of course the Bama wannabes here say, if Saban can do it, why don't we. Well, they are totally losing sight of Tech's historical uniqueness. The core prob is the hapless ncaa can't/won't enforce it's own rules. It will take the FBI to unravel it, like they are starting to in basketball.
Bama etal are basically reducing the players to corporate serfdom. I for one want nothing to do with it---or signing 3rd grade readers and reducing our program to ugag's graduation rates. If not doing so means we win 7 vs 9 and beat ugag 3 vs 4 times a decade---I'm Juiced for it. Z

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The funny thing about this thread is that we had a ton of attrition over the last decade, including transfers and guys simply graduating early and moving on. Yet, this conversation never happened. The only reason it is happening now is because CGC decided to practice some (very modest and very conservative) oversigning like the vast majority of coaches do. With just the average attrition we have had, we are going to easily be under the limit without any proactive actions taken.

Assumption.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Assumption.

We are plus 3 right now. Can you recall a season where we lost less? Some assumptions are safe and actually necessary to make. Because if you aren't oversigning, you are undersigning. That kills your depth, which seems to be one of your main complaints, lack of quality depth, but yet you want to continue down that path.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We are plus 3 right now. Can you recall a season where we lost less? Some assumptions are safe and actually necessary to make. Because if you aren't oversigning, you are undersigning. That kills your depth, which seems to be one of your main complaints, lack of quality depth, but yet you want to continue down that path.

It’s still a roll of the dice unless 3 players have told CGC they are leaving.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It’s still a roll of the dice unless 3 players have told CGC they are leaving.

Okay, it is a roll of a one-hundred sided dice and 99 of the sides are the same. :D I think most are okay with that. And I am sure it is very much possible that 3 have let if be known which would render it moot.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Okay, it is a roll of a one-hundred sided dice and 99 of the sides are the same. :D I think most are okay with that. And I am sure it is very much possible that 3 have let if be known which would render it moot.

99% of the time my tee shot will slice right. Best advice I ever received though was not to aima drive where a straight shot would hurt me.

Same thing applies here. If we don't oversign, we don't have to even worry about whether or not we have room for the kids we offered.

Doing things the right way isn't always the "best way" according to conventional wisdom, but will 100% of the time be the right way to do things.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
99% of the time my tee shot will slice right. Best advice I ever received though was not to aima drive where a straight shot would hurt me.

Same thing applies here. If we don't oversign, we don't have to even worry about whether or not we have room for the kids we offered.

Doing things the right way isn't always the "best way" according to conventional wisdom, but will 100% of the time be the right way to do things.

I don't see anything immoral about being proactive in regards to signing with expected attrition in mind. I just don't, but respect your preference for doing things a certain way.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer

There are no rules that say you can't oversign, just rules that say you have to be under by a certain date. So saying that oversigning is the wrong way is really just a personal opinion. In an ideal world, there would be no attrition and you would always just sign the number of scholarships you have available. That however, is not the world we live in. If you just sign 85 and tell three kids sorry, once the attrition happens, you've put yourself at a disadvantage because you could have three kids that wanted to be here. Scholarships are kinda like airline seats. Delta oversells their flights because they know almost exactly how many people wont show up for any given flight. In the rare instance that everyone shows up, they find a way to get to the number down where it needs to be.

Animal02

Banned
There are no rules that say you can't oversign, just rules that say you have to be under by a certain date. So saying that oversigning is the wrong way is really just a personal opinion. In an ideal world, there would be no attrition and you would always just sign the number of scholarships you have available. That however, is not the world we live in. If you just sign 85 and tell three kids sorry, once the attrition happens, you've put yourself at a disadvantage because you could have three kids that wanted to be here. Scholarships are kinda like airline seats. Delta oversells their flights because they know almost exactly how many people wont show up for any given flight. In the rare instance that everyone shows up, they find a way to get to the number down where it needs to be.
Delta does it by paying off people or involuntarily bumping someone....neither option is valid IMO regarding athletes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't see anything immoral about being proactive in regards to signing with expected attrition in mind. I just don't, but respect your preference for doing things a certain way.

Again, immoral and unethical are not always synonymous.

That being said, if expected attrition pans out, then no harm no foul.

But answer me this, if three people don't leave, should we cut three current athletes or inform three signees they'll have to greyshirt. Either of those choices are unethical.

Now, if this were a business, and these athletes were paid their fair market value, then this would be simply business. But this is not a normal business and these guys are not being compensated at fair market value, as the scholarship is only truly valuable if they are allowed to keep it until graduation.