Attrition and Scholarship Limits

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
This is an interesting topic. I suppose all of us would like that Tech has a reputation worth protecting yet Tech has that reputation b/c only the best survive at the Institute !, round that square peg. Chicken or the egg ? Good reputations are made by being the best, being the best means having the top performers. be it math or a pass rush.

Students are told to hit the road every semester -- literally make the grade or go home. Whose arguing for them ? Who would argue that, from a reputation standpoint the future brain surgeon should be denied admissions b/c the spot is filled by a nurse practitioner.

to me it enhances the reputation to get the word out that the athletic scholarship goes to the most athletic, education scholarships got to the smartest. This entire debate ignores the fact that there are people in Georgia, who by admittance standards they are told everyday they aren't good enough to get in Tech-- because someone else is better than them.

Being picky is exactly why Tech isnt Georgia, it's why it's more prestigious to go to Tech. Everyone knows that if you make it into Tech you are special, make it all the way through and you are the best.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
IMHO, there is no such thing as a perfectly healthy football player after he has been playing football since he was 9 or 10 years old, through high school then D1 college. It was said earlier Paul Johnson said some players need to learn to play through the pain. They all have pain of some sort at the D1 level. In fact, football, like boxing, should be banned. They are both blood sports that leave players maimed, addled and crippled.

But God help me, I love it. I can't quit watching Tech play. As long they play it, I'll watch it.

So, in short, I have no problem with putting guys that may look perfectly healthy on medical scholarships. They're the lucky ones, they get to escape the coliseum with less damage on their bodies.
So when a program has FAR more medicals than the average for other teams, that means what to you?

Milwaukee

Banned
So when a program has FAR more medicals than the average for other teams, that means what to you?

They're smart and probably winning a lot?

Do you have examples to share where those teams are unsuccessful or are you just blindly complaining because we haven't kept up with the Joneses and you're really pissed at GT but you redirect your frustrations towards our fans?

Only kidding. Don't answer that.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow

Alabama is going to skirt the rules until that rule is changed. This is the same program that had former clearly ineligible players showing up on their scout team.

Medical hardship happens to be one of those rules that's hard to change because now you're insensitive to the athletes health (even though Alabama is clearing using it to process players)

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

It means they're taking advantage of every rule possible to win.

I really don't have a problem with it because that's the way the NCAA has set the rules up. As long as the player gets to keep his scholarship and stay in school, it's good. It's the same as driving 65 on 285 where the speed limit is 55. You have to keep up with the flow of traffic. It's like Gresham's law in economic terms. Or you could say it's the lowest common denominator.

The only way to stop it would be have an NCAA, or other, independent board of medical examiners, rule on every players injury. Can you imagine what a riot that would be? NCAA can't even handle the transfer process now.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It means they're taking advantage of every rule possible to win.

I really don't have a problem with it because that's the way the NCAA has set the rules up. As long as the player gets to keep his scholarship and stay in school, it's good. It's the same as driving 65 on 285 where the speed limit is 55. You have to keep up with the flow of traffic. It's like Gresham's law in economic terms. Or you could say it's the lowest common denominator.

The only way to stop it would be have an NCAA, or other, independent board of medical examiners, rule on every players injury. Can you imagine what a riot that would be? NCAA can't even handle the transfer process now.

This is called rationalization. If everyone else is doing it, it must be ok for me to do it. If you are driving 65 in a 55, you are still breaking the law, no matter whether you get caught or not, or if everyone else is speeding as well. Again, I understand everyone wants to win, but I still want to win the right way.

As I said, integrity is a gift you give yourself.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
This is called rationalization. If everyone else is doing it, it must be ok for me to do it. If you are driving 65 in a 55, you are still breaking the law, no matter whether you get caught or not, or if everyone else is speeding as well. Again, I understand everyone wants to win, but I still want to win the right way.

You are conflating rules/laws with morals. There is no integrity/moral superiority associated with going the speed limit. Just as blindly following the rules of any organization does not give you integrity. There are many examples in history of rule/law breakers who are now considered heroes for their bravery. You'd be in the minority if you called any of them out for a lack of integrity. Football scholarships don't fall in that realm of significance, but the point remains the same that blind rule following isn't really an admirable trait in and of itself.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are conflating rules/laws with morals. There is no integrity/moral superiority associated with going the speed limit. Just as blindly following the rules of any organization does not give you integrity. There are many examples in history of rule/law breakers who are now considered heroes for their bravery. You'd be in the minority if you called any of them out for a lack of integrity. Football scholarships don't fall in that realm of significance, but the point remains the same that blind rule following isn't really an admirable trait in and of itself.

Breaking a law is a lack of integrity.

Civil disobedience to a morally pugnacious law is what people are celebrated for, not for speeding.

Breaking/violating the spirit of NCAA rules in regards to scholarships demonstrates a lack of integrity.

If your argument in favor is "everyone else does it" or "we have to do this to keep up" then you've already admitted that your proposed solution is wrong, you're just rationalizing/justifying the action to assuage guilt.

Finally, don't conflate morals and ethics. Something can be morally acceptable and yet unethical at the same time. If it's unethical, then your integrity takes a hit when you follow through on that action.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Alabama is going to skirt the rules until that rule is changed. This is the same program that had former clearly ineligible players showing up on their scout team.

Medical hardship happens to be one of those rules that's hard to change because now you're insensitive to the athletes health (even though Alabama is clearing using it to process players)

Do you have examples of Bama players who were given a med RS but then later played at UAB or Arkansas State, etc.? Otherwise, you are saying they convinced healthy players to give up their football career just because they weren't Bama quality but could have played elsewhere. Or maybe you think Uncle Vito cracks them in the knee if they don't accept the offer they can't refuse.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
But remember, the NCAA picks and chooses who they decide to hammer. This is really not a rule issue, it’s an enforcement issue. They basically decided not to enforce their own rule.

Every team has a handful of guys who were recruiting busts. They will likely never see the field or very little of it and everybody knows it. Imagine if suddenly every team petitioned for five medical scholarships. What a farce that would be.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do you have examples of Bama players who were given a med RS but then later played at UAB or Arkansas State, etc.? Otherwise, you are saying they convinced healthy players to give up their football career just because they weren't Bama quality but could have played elsewhere. Or maybe you think Uncle Vito cracks them in the knee if they don't accept the offer they can't refuse.
I think it’s mostly a point of pride. They can tell everybody the reason they didn’t play for the mighty tide was because they were hurt and look, the school and coaches agree with me.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
carousel-nap.gif