Attrition and Scholarship Limits

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
My take on the "processing situation" - For years GT has been above reproach with respect to our recruiting philosophy. While I would like it to stay that way, I am not sure that it can in today's climate. With most of our SA's having a real opportunity to graduate in three years, and with the NCAA pretty much approving all transfer requests, I am certain we will see an uptick in player transfers from GT (all schools will).

Let's face it, Parker Braun saw a better opportunity for himself and decided to offer his services to another football program. I wholeheartedly agree with his decision. He probably did not consider the impact his transfer would have to GT football (nor should he). But if a large number of our SA's start making "business decisions" - well I believe two can and should play at that game.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
@91Wreck maybe so, but the guy I'm thinking about was Cremins first year. I graduated in 83. It doesn't matter the name of the player, I'd just like to provide one name for @Animal02 because it feels like a challenge and I have a really good memory (at least for a few more years)

I saw GT play in 83 in the old Cotton States Classic. I was in high school at the time and I actually got to meet Cremins because he was recruiting one of my father's high school players.

I do not know about the player early in Cremins tenure, but I am almost dead certain that he pulled a scholarship of one of his guards in the mid 90's. I think his name is Kevin Morris.

Milwaukee

Banned
what about players that don't seem to be giving their best effort? CPJ alluded to some guys not knowing the difference between being injured and playing through pain. Would he not encourage those same guys in the offseason to find their success elsewhere?

@Animal02 I hope you don't consider me an idiotic poster. I'm hearing a theme from the players that the new staff cares about them. I'm hearing a theme from the staff that this is a great group of guys to coach. I don't see the staff killing all this good will by dropping the axe on the players that are considered below the line. We will see how it plays out, but I think the current players that want to be here and want to get that degree will, and others will choose playing time somewhere else.

The board appreciates your insight. Good luck.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It was Dave Cole, Fred Hall and Steve Neal. Neal was invited back to the team. I remember an article in the AJC with Fred commenting he didn't understand why he was not invited back to the team.
I knew Steve Neal. He was a really nice guy. It was Cole's leaving that sparked the editorial in the Technique. Thanks for the memory assist.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It is about believing in them as STUDENTS first, athletes second. There are several here that think it should be reversed.......they should cheer for a team down the road IMO.

So when our coaches say you come here to play football and the education is a bonus like key did how do you take that?

Mad
He is ignorant
Hyperbole
Trying to change the gt brand
Etc
Whats your take on our staffs or keys comment?

My take is they are trying to get gt to be viewed as more of a factory (even if its not)

For me its a staff sayin you wont get in here without football. So thats your ticket. And do well while your here.

But i dont think gt will ever process a kid they scholly cuz he cant run fast as they thought.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My take on the "processing situation" - For years GT has been above reproach with respect to our recruiting philosophy. While I would like it to stay that way, I am not sure that it can in today's climate. With most of our SA's having a real opportunity to graduate in three years, and with the NCAA pretty much approving all transfer requests, I am certain we will see an uptick in player transfers from GT (all schools will).

Let's face it, Parker Braun saw a better opportunity for himself and decided to offer his services to another football program. I wholeheartedly agree with his decision. He probably did not consider the impact his transfer would have to GT football (nor should he). But if a large number of our SA's start making "business decisions" - well I believe two can and should play at that game.
PB earned the right to move on by graduating. That’s a whole different ball of wax. And we got another scholly to give in the next class.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@bobongo

Dear Bob,

What you stated above is the processing. You have to remember that Nick Saban, Paul Johnson, Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart, David Cutcliffe, etc aren't stupid people. They will never go tap a kid on the shoulder and say, "you're out of here because you're not as good as we were hoping". Can you imagine the backlash and recruiting consequences? What they do is sit them down and explain the situation just as you have stated above. If that feels "cleaner" to you and you don't think thats pushing someone out the door then I'm sincerely happy. But in fact it is ugly and it happens and we do it everyday like everyone else. I'm just here to help, fellas.

Who was it that CPJ flat out said "he won't be playing here again..."

He didn't pull his scholarship, but he did make it known that the player would never take another snap for GT and he ended up transferring out. Same thing happened to Marcus Wright, but CPJ didn't announce to the press that Marcus Wright would never play for GT (it was his final year before graduating)...but it was widely known that Wright would be gone after finishing his degree. He ended up getting his degree and grad transferring to some school in Texas to play.

There are ways of "processing" kids with actually processing them. There was a rumor that O'Leary use to send messages to guys he didn't want back by burying them on the depth chart and basically turning them into tackling dummies.

For the most part, GT has been pretty good about letting kids finish out their degree even if they didn't carry their weight on the field.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was I processed in 1965?
After having hep a in high school I had to drop being on football team. When I got to tech a couple ex hs football players and I headed out for the Saturday try out for the freshman football team. These s ga guys dreamed for glory against uga. Well the first day we lumbered up and then ran strings across the field. The coaches gradually got the slowest guys at one end of field and the fastest guys at the other.
Well, I had lost quite a few steps and found myself standing with some really large guys. Then the dl and ol coach coach showed up to divide us up. ( I was moved to defense line ). Then they numbered us off and i lined up across from very very big guy. The coaches said we would be required to go start head to head drills till we made the team.
I went back to Howell and then had to endure my new s ga buddies calling me a pansy. The loved me later when I helped them get a b in steam boat f f f fultons calc class

ANSWER.
I knew I would never make the field even if I got a Jersey. I have had reality hit me in the face many other times . Sometimes reality is tough to accept but that time it was very easy.
I will give the coaches my support and ask that others do the same.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No Apples and Oranges here, I will admit that I haven't read the financial agreement/scholly offer lately BUT I do live in the modern world, you will never convince me that the colleges are guaranteeing free money with no way out in the contract. If the players are getting guaranteed aid money or no strings binding legal obligations I'd be shocked. The players know what they are signing and it isn't an unconditional promise, if they were Alabama, Clemson and the rest of them would be getting sued every time they pull a spot.

High schoolers and middle schoolers typically have to attend the public school they are zoned to. “Recruiting” players is done but violates rules which typically aren’t enforced but your comparison is apples and oranges on multiple fronts.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
They are students first on ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS. There are people who think that holding students on ATHLETIC scholarships accountable to an ATHLETIC measure is what should be done. Guess what, removing the ATHLETIC scholarship doesn't make them no longer a student. They are still enrolled and can still get their degree.

If recruited from out of state from a low income family? Riiiiight.

Animal02

Banned
Who was it that CPJ flat out said "he won't be playing here again..."

He didn't pull his scholarship, but he did make it known that the player would never take another snap for GT and he ended up transferring out. Same thing happened to Marcus Wright, but CPJ didn't announce to the press that Marcus Wright would never play for GT (it was his final year before graduating)...but it was widely known that Wright would be gone after finishing his degree. He ended up getting his degree and grad transferring to some school in Texas to play.

There are ways of "processing" kids with actually processing them. There was a rumor that O'Leary use to send messages to guys he didn't want back by burying them on the depth chart and basically turning them into tackling dummies.

For the most part, GT has been pretty good about letting kids finish out their degree even if they didn't carry their weight on the field.
Most people here have no problem with letting kids know they won;t be playing for whatever reason......as long as TECH honors the commitment. And as far as I know, the new coaching staff has maintained that commitment. On the other hand, a few posters here appear to want to place "winning" above all else.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm okay with that analysis my friend. But just think about this: If you were trying to make room on your team you'd have that "explaining" with as many as necessary until one of them "processes" and you got the extra room you were targeting. And that, my friend, is how D1 athletics work. Cheers mate.

Millie, I like it!

If coaches had told Shamir Devine he wouldn’t play a single down as a senior he’d almost certainly have been disappointed....and kept his scholarship to finish his degree. I suspect he’d have done the same if the same was said for his junior year also.

Players at Tech who don’t value the degree as much would be more likely to transfer.

Mistreat a guy like Shamire to get him off the team to free up a scholly.....no bueno my friend. That’s the difference in our perspectives on what processing is I think.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You are right. We offered them a scholarship to GT and then we iced them out, and thats okay. Circumstances change daily. We're not gonna go to their door and tell them we're not gonna bring them on the team anymore. We're just gonna conveniently ice them out. That is processing. It's normal, even more so with a regime change like we experienced. It sounds dirty but it's extremely common in division 1 athletics. It's not a new thing.

Big difference between rescinding an offer and processing a signed player imo.