Attendance

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
South endzone is not the Swarm section any longer. South endzone is where students who did not purchase the student season tickets are seated. All others are seated in the north. Student turnout Thursday night was pretty good but a little late arriving. Section was pretty full and the students were packed in. I like the idea of 1 game a season at MBS but don't want to give up BDS as our primary home field. Unless we are playing Notre Dame (and maybe Clemson) they plan to tarp off the upper level of MBS similar to what is done for most Atlanta United games. Tarped off MBS holds a max of 45k which is just right for us.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hate this idea. Tech plays football at Grant Field, not elsewhere

It’s my opinion but, I’ve brought guests to MBS and they love it. That, and Tech clears a million more per game ...

Everyone complains about lack of resources and then complains about solutions.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our grads are millionaires. Cost for a ticket is not an issue.

Millionaires since we don't spend any more than we have to .......... one important concept we old people need to think about is decumulation; (i.e. spend it while we can enjoy it.) But it is hard to change.

And spend less time bitching about everything.

It’s my opinion but, I’ve brought guests to MBS and they love it. That, and Tech clears a million more per game ...

What fun is life if you aren't always bitching? (tic)

herb

Helluva Engineer

Hey, we are all entitled to our opinion. And mine may well be wrong. I do not like indoor football. I like going to campus. Those two things would be gone. And how do we clear a million more per game when we have to rent the space versus having one for free? I don’t like but understand the ND game situation, but one game is enough, again, in my opinion. I would definitely go to less games if they were all there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It’s my opinion but, I’ve brought guests to MBS and they love it. That, and Tech clears a million more..

IMHO, people who love MBS are NOT there to watch football. The food and drink are better there, and it is climate controlled....so if you go to socialize, well good for you. Sight lines from the seats and the sound system are horrible, so if you go to watch live football, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

just mho

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
IMHO, people who love MBS are NOT there to watch football. The food and drink are better there, and it is climate controlled....so if you go to socialize, well good for you. Sight lines from the seats and the sound system are horrible, so if you go to watch live football, you’ll be sorely disappointed.

just mho

Valid point. But you have to compare our experience vs our competitors for the same entertainment dollar.

LibertyTurns

Banned

just mho
Yeah last Saturday we were trying to figure out how to tailgate on campus and get to MBS for the game.

GTonFowlerSt

Georgia Tech Fan
Tl;dr most of this thread, but as a student I thought I’d chime in on the current situation of the south stands. All IFC-governed fraternities have sections in the north stands. The Swarm section has been moved from the south stands to the north stands to the right of the Band. Every week, student’s receive an email about being able to claim a free student guest ticket, and these tickets are all designated for the south stands. No students sit over there bc it’s so separated from the rest of the student body, and if we ever choose to use our guest ticket, our guest comes sits with us in the north stands. My opinion is that they stop selling the south stands to students and open it up to the public because I can guarantee you that no students want to sit in the south stands.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Tl;dr most of this thread, but as a student I thought I’d chime in on the current situation of the south stands. All IFC-governed fraternities have sections in the north stands. The Swarm section has been moved from the south stands to the north stands to the right of the Band. Every week, student’s receive an email about being able to claim a free student guest ticket, and these tickets are all designated for the south stands. No students sit over there bc it’s so separated from the rest of the student body, and if we ever choose to use our guest ticket, our guest comes sits with us in the north stands. My opinion is that they stop selling the south stands to students and open it up to the public because I can guarantee you that no students want to sit in the south stands.

Thanks for clarifying the south endzone situation.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for clarifying the south endzone situation.
Man things change a lot. Swarm was north end zone when I was student 06-‘11. Frat blocks were north on other side of band. South was general seating and non frat blocks (though plenty of frats took blocks there). I had to show up at gate opening many times to ensure good seats in the south back then, but bad opponents definitely left room for seating.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

I think this solution would have unintended consequences. I would also reconsider my 35 years as a season ticket holder.

I have tailgated all over campus. Next to the infirmary, next to Chandler stadium, next to the chemistry building, in front of the super sonic wind tunnel. Now we tailgate at our old fraternity house. I agree that you have to get creative, but still possible. I recall going to Miss State. The fans and tailgating there was impressive. Lots of open acreage. But as an urban campus, we have our challenges.

IMHO, games at MBS become more of a neutral game, especially since we play teams that travel well.

We sometimes even get credit from announcers that Tech has the oldest on campus stadiums.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Too bad about the situation with the south end zone seats. If we could just attract a bunch of old guys:

images

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
First, Georgia Tech is not leaving the ACC. It would cost us a fortune to leave, plus the SEC does not want or need us. Second, the MBS idea could grow legs if the games held there are successful. BDS is old and if we start to have structural issues with the stadium, MBS could be an option. Problem; all of the seats in MBS are red due to the Falcons and United, but since colors don't seem to be an issue with the GTAA that may not be a problem. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the costs to maintain and operate BDS vs MBS. Would we make money by playing there? Moving to MBS would leave us without a true home stadium. We'd have to share it with pro sports, bowl games, and kick off classic type games. I'd like to know how Miami and Pitt fans feel about their stadium situations.
Edit. Here is an interesting article about the old Pitt Stadium.
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/pitts-lost-love-pitt-stadium
There would be a lot of scheduling issues now that ATLUTD plays there, many times on Saturdays.