• 40,000 - 44,999

Votes: 46 31.1%
  • 35,000 - 39,999

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I am with you. With all the talk about revitalization, branding, and renewed energy, I would have thought we would easily get over 50k. I hope we can. I will be there!

For perspective, according to the AJC, the attendance figures for Tech’s past five home openers (all against FCS teams) – 45,403 (Wofford), 49,196 (Alcorn State), 49,992 (Mercer), 50,161 (Jacksonville State), 39,719 (Alcorn State).

USF with our new coach should easily beat all of those. It is a better opponent and chance to see a new system. C'mon people!!!

That's tickets sold. Not butts in seats.

They need to count tickets scanned. Not sold

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would have thought 50,000 easily for the first game vs an FBS opponent under the new regime ... from reading some of the other posts, I guess I'm delusional ??

Typically, GT only goes over 50K for a major game with a rival. FBS games don't tend to draw as much.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
"I'll leave my wife at home" is man code for "she told me she that there was no way in he$$ she was going to sit outside in the middle of the day in September to watch football and that she didn't give a rat's rear end where you went or what you decided to do that day as long as you didn't bother her.";)

(She’s going shopping...)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am with you. With all the talk about revitalization, branding, and renewed energy, I would have thought we would easily get over 50k. I hope we can. I will be there!

For perspective, according to the AJC, the attendance figures for Tech’s past five home openers (all against FCS teams) – 45,403 (Wofford), 49,196 (Alcorn State), 49,992 (Mercer), 50,161 (Jacksonville State), 39,719 (Alcorn State).

USF with our new coach should easily beat all of those. It is a better opponent and chance to see a new system. C'mon people!!!

Is that paid attendance or actual attendance? Some corporations and STH's buy blocks but don't show up.

FWIW, I'm here in Auburn and the tailgaters have already arrived. Lots going on and you can smell grilled steak all over campus.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Is the poll in this thread asking for something different? Does someone on the GT Swarm plan to count the actual butts in the seats?

I think tickets scanned is the ONLY thing that should be counted. People showing up is far more telling about the health of a program.

I want to know how many people actually showed up.

Animal02

Banned
Tailgaters have already arrived for tomorrow's game? WOW
Way back in time when I was at Tech.....opponent RVer's would show up in the DramaTech / Police parking lot the afternoon before a game. They would be out there drinking and eating half the night.
We did cause a bit of a disturbance one year when a couple of members stole a Fla flag from an RV.....it hung in the light booth for years until the building was torn down.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think tickets scanned is the ONLY thing that should be counted. People showing up is far more telling about the health of a program.

I want to know how many people actually showed up.

Ok. Well, let us all know when you are able to determine that and compare it to previous years. I think the rest of us are referring to the reported numbers.

In the metric that we can compare, tickets sold, we should be over 50k. I will be very disappointed if we are not.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Ok. Well, let us all know when you are able to determine that and compare it to previous years. I think the rest of us are referring to the reported numbers.

In the metric that we can compare, tickets sold, we should be over 50k. I will be very disappointed if we are not.

It's not a hard number to find...

I'd be astonished if GT doesn't have a running count of how many tickets are scanned for a game. That is the attendance.

When they say "Today's game attendance is" they usually use the tickets sold. Which is not attendance.

I want to know actual attendance. They use devices. It would be rather easy to just quantify how many approved ticket scans there were that day for the game. Especially since there is no re-entry.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Inflating numbers based on ticket sales in misleading and makes you look stupid when it says 40k attendance and the entire upper north, more than half the upper East, and south are empty... I've been to 3 games in the past year that I seriously questioned their number. Just makes us look dumb. I don't like our school to look like that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Inflating numbers based on ticket sales in misleading and makes you look stupid when it says 40k attendance and the entire upper north, more than half the upper East, and south are empty... I've been to 3 games in the past year that I seriously questioned their number. Just makes us look dumb. I don't like our school to look like that.
Every team does it , we are not the only one Miami I'm pretty sure adds numbers to look good.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

It does't make us look dumb because that is the same way every single team in every single sport does it. Nobody announces butts in the seats. Every team announces attendance as tickets sold. Why? 1) it makes the number higher and 2) that is what actually matters for revenue. I agree that turnstile counts and actual attendance are very important, but those numbers are simply not publicly reported on a regular basis. Not by Tech, not by other college teams, not by anybody.

Since at least 1992, MLB teams announce only tickets sold. In fact, the MLB, NBA and NHL usually report not just tickets sold, but also distributed, adding complimentary tickets -- for players’ families, league officials, sponsors and such. In the NFL, they used to have a "sell-out" or "blackout" policy, meaning, not only did NFL teams report only tickets sold, but they would find ways to artificially inflate those numbers to reflect a sellout to avoid blackouts. I don't know if that blackout policy still exists, but it is still certainly the policy of every team to announce sales, not attendance. (e.g., the Falcons).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Good news... you will be able to give us an actual head count ;)

360 FAN PHOTO FOR USF

· Also in commemoration of Collins’ first home game at the helm of the Yellow Jackets, Georgia Tech is partnering with Gigapixel to take a 360 fan photo during Saturday’s home opener vs. USF.

· At the end of the first quarter, a 360-degree photo of Bobby Dodd Stadium will be taken from midfield and will include every fan in the stands.

· After the game, a high-resolution, 360-degree interactive photo will be posted online that allows fans to zoom in to find themselves, then share via email or social media.

· Fans can opt in to receive a notification when the 360 fan photo is available by texting RAMBLIN to 800-344-7266.