Atlanta Magazine: How a former Georgia Tech quarterback could break the state’s GOP supermajority

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I've always thought highly of Taylor, and he's running a good campaign so far. Now is as good a time as any for him to enter the scene from the left. MARTA expansion, if successful, is a big card to play and could be played nicely against a far right villain, Cobb. Georgia won't go blue in the 2016 presidential election, but we'll probably see a very close race, 3% spread IMO. All else equal, I'd rather have a GT guy as a politician than a dwag or some other god forsaken creature. Bennett has an interesting profile, definitely has the potential to be a quick riser in GA politics if he wins brookhaven from the left.

Disclaimer: I don't care about politics or morals, any of that nonsense. I just like playing the game... and winning, of course.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Saw his campaign website. Basically says nothing, stuff like "Liberty for all!" and "Education is the building blocks of society."

Thats how you win as a Dem in GA, if you win.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, it's not my district but I'll be pulling against him for the first time.

Rest assured that the only liberal thing about his campaign is reaffirming his support for equality. Not racial or marriage equality, just equality in general. people loving people. He's as liberal as a $3 dollar bill. Oh, and the republican candidate is currently dealing with a "spraying lysol on to his female employee's buttocks" scandal.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Rest assured that the only liberal thing about his campaign is reaffirming his support for equality. Not racial or marriage equality, just equality in general. people loving people. He's as liberal as a $3 dollar bill. Oh, and the republican candidate is currently dealing with a "spraying lysol on to his female employee's buttocks" scandal.

Everyone is in support for equality for all.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If he's running as a Democrat i doubt he's conservative or an advocate for smaller government. So don't expect any support for him from me.

And I know zip about his opponent and feel most politicians are slimey. @RLR did / does slick willy bother you as much as TB's opponent?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
We complain that national media sticks to cliches about Tech's offense and teams while taking sec and other teams at the idea of them.

Funny how we want sports media to actually see what we do and vote on that then vote of buzzwords but when it comes to politics we seem to only look close enough for the buzz words.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
You all are a rough bunch!...

Give the guy a break for:

1. His contribution at Tech as a student/athlete
2. His leveraging his degree to a successful carer 3. His aspirations for public service...

Its all good ....Lighten up Francis!

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
If he's running as a Democrat i doubt he's conservative or an advocate for smaller government. So don't expect any support for him from me.

And I know zip about his opponent and feel most politicians are slimey. @RLR did / does slick willy bother you as much as TB's opponent?

I think you got me all wrong. I'm not bothered by any politician or political ideology. Like I said, I can only see politics as a game. That's all it is to me - and I'd consider myself well informed on the underlying policy issues and election strategy.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Linguistic proficiency versus the use of buzz words and obfuscation. Fascinating. I must be getting old because I remember when politicians used to actually sound intelligent when debating. Now we just hear things like rapists and killers swarming our borders and the government taking away my rights. The political game used to be a whole lot more interesting. It has become pretty boring.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Saw his campaign website. Basically says nothing, stuff like "Liberty for all!" and "Education is the building blocks of society."

Thats how you win as a Dem in GA, if you win.
Uh, dude, that's how you win as a Democrat in Georgia? Writing from Neptune, are you?

Well, the state is probably going to switch within another two presidential election cycles. We have the second fastest growing Hispanic population in the US and our Asian population is growing apace as well. Even with the lousy participation rates of these two groups, a coalition that could win for the Democrats is coming into sight. Will it? I can't predict the future, but the environment will be much less favorable for Republicans soon, unless they make some sea changes in their candidates and policy choices. Which, of course, indicates that they probably will. Shigata ga nai, as the Japanese say.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Republican days are numbered in the state.
Any case good luck Taylor, not my district but I'm sure we'll meet again.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
The more I learn, the more experience I gain, the more people I meet - the less confident I become in affiliating myself with a particular party or believing there's a single solution to problems within the system. The people I met and learned from at Georgia Tech make me the most optimistic about the future. Thus, I drink to all the good fellows who come from far and near, and I'll vote for all politicians who drinks their whiskey clear.

Good luck TB and @Whiskey_Clear , I apologize if I took a hostile tone. Didn't mean to belittle your political beliefs or come across as cynical about our government.

Status
Not open for further replies.