Atlanta Magazine: How a former Georgia Tech quarterback could break the state’s GOP supermajority

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
For what it's worth, nearly all grey-haired "Republicans" that are Georgia natives started out their political lives as Democrats.

Georgia still has not elected a post-reconstruction governor that spent his entire political life as a Republican.

IMO, for most politicians, their party label generally means nothing. Politician's actions tend to have more to do with which ever way the wind is a blowing - because getting elected is a popularity contest; appease the mob and get a job.

PS: Lets move this thread to the Lounge. The topic really has nothing to do with actual football, GT or otherwise. 27 days, 8 hours until Toe Meets Leather!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It's funny people assume it's due just to our Friends from Mexico & other parts of Latin America, when there are 50K Korean & growing immigrants in Gwinnett. Indians make up the forth largest immigrant population state wide & the AA population continues to outpace the majority population in growth.

I guess Republicans are scared of diversity (people that don't look, act, think, like them)

Any case

Salute to Calvin and salute to Taylor.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
It's funny people assume it's due just to our Friends from Mexico & other parts of Latin America, when there are 50K Korean & growing immigrants in Gwinnett. Indians make up the forth largest immigrant population state wide & the AA population continues to outpace the majority population in growth.

I guess Republicans are scared of diversity (people that don't look, act, think, like them)

Any case

Salute to Calvin and salute to Taylor.

That line is nothing more than demagoguery and stereotyping.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Can't speak for "Republicans", but I am scared to live around people they don't act and think like me, but in only three specific ways: respect for other people's possessions, respect for the rule of law, and respect for other people's freedom to pursue their own aims... Basically, that means, don't steal stuff, be honest and honor agreements, and leave me alone...

Please - enough of the suggestions that "Republicans" (by which you imply "White folks") are scared of diversity (by which you imply are racists)...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
PS: Lets move this thread to the Lounge. The topic really has nothing to do with actual football, GT or otherwise. 27 days, 8 hours until Toe Meets Leather!
Thought about doing this originally, even while foreseeing that the convo would go this route, but we've always posted ex-player info in this forum regardless of current profession e.g., P.J. Daniels, Albert Rocker, etc. We'll monitor and move it if it becomes too much of a distraction.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Please - enough of the suggestions that "Republicans" (by which you imply "White folks") are scared of diversity (by which you imply are racists)...

Really, I've been to numerous, Young Democrat events in which the crowd was majority white yet equally diverse. Race isn't the only measurement of diversity.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, you're right - race is not the only measurement of diversity... In fact, as a individualist in the classical liberal tradition of Smith, Hume, Ferguson, and the other great Scottish Moralists, I would suggest that it has practically nothing to do with real diversity...

Since each human being is infinitely complex and unique, any real consideration of "diversity" must acknowledge that any collection of people is already a diverse one... To reduce people to a category without considering them as individuals is to rob them of what makes them human...

This is why individualists like myself reject the notion of diversity as an aim - it discards the very kinds of details central to our humanity...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We complain that national media sticks to cliches about Tech's offense and teams while taking sec and other teams at the idea of them.

Funny how we want sports media to actually see what we do and vote on that then vote of buzzwords but when it comes to politics we seem to only look close enough for the buzz words.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This one is even better:

Now the scary thing here is that for low-information voters (the actual term of art, btw) this clip is – save us, Jeebus – not too far off. Luckily, most of these people don't vote anyway.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, nearly all grey-haired "Republicans" that are Georgia natives started out their political lives as Democrats.

Georgia still has not elected a post-reconstruction governor that spent his entire political life as a Republican.
!
That's because the Democratic Party left them. It is has gone so far left, it will never be mainstream again.

Status
Not open for further replies.