Atlanta Braves News

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The last 1/3rd or his career in the batters box was the killer.

From an article on MLB.com earlier this year.

Andruw totaled 368 home runs through his age-30 season, and he led many to believe he might have been the greatest defensive center fielder the game has ever seen. He will receive votes from those who deem that span of greatness sufficient and from those who recognize that the Hall has reserved spots for other defensive greats such as Ozzie Smith, though he performed his wizardry for a longer period of time.

After hitting .263 with 368 home runs and an .839 OPS in 12 seasons with the Braves through 2007, Jones left as a free agent and hit just .210 with 66 homers and a .740 OPS in 435 games over his final five seasons with the Dodgers, Rangers, White Sox and Yankees.

Even with his sudden offensive decline, Andruw Jones still put up a .254 career batting average, 434 home runs and a 111 OPS+. His 67.1 fWAR as a center fielder ranks 10th all time, trailing Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Ken Griffey Jr., Billy Hamilton, Al Simmons and Carlos Beltran.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The last 1/3rd or his career in the batters box was the killer.

From an article on MLB.com earlier this year.

Andruw totaled 368 home runs through his age-30 season, and he led many to believe he might have been the greatest defensive center fielder the game has ever seen. He will receive votes from those who deem that span of greatness sufficient and from those who recognize that the Hall has reserved spots for other defensive greats such as Ozzie Smith, though he performed his wizardry for a longer period of time.

After hitting .263 with 368 home runs and an .839 OPS in 12 seasons with the Braves through 2007, Jones left as a free agent and hit just .210 with 66 homers and a .740 OPS in 435 games over his final five seasons with the Dodgers, Rangers, White Sox and Yankees.

Even with his sudden offensive decline, Andruw Jones still put up a .254 career batting average, 434 home runs and a 111 OPS+. His 67.1 fWAR as a center fielder ranks 10th all time, trailing Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Ken Griffey Jr., Billy Hamilton, Al Simmons and Carlos Beltran.

I will say how do you mention Billy Hamilton, Al Simmons and Carlos Beltran is the same breath with Andruw Jones offensively OR defensively! One key point that his career batting average dropped .009 only even after his final five season, goes to show how relatively few ABs he had in those last 5 years.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I will say how do you mention Billy Hamilton, Al Simmons and Carlos Beltran is the same breath with Andruw Jones offensively OR defensively! One key point that his career batting average dropped .009 only even after his final five season, goes to show how relatively few ABs he had in those last 5 years.

Regarding Hamilton, Simmons and Beltran it's all in the defensive numbers. It's just math.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Regarding Hamilton, Simmons and Beltran it's all in the defensive numbers. It's just math.

I understand, to me that's where my eyeball tells me a whole lot more than metrics will. Hamilton can fly but now arm, Beltran has a good arm but nowhere near the range of Andruw and Al Simmons was a combination of Hamilton/Beltran without the upside.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I understand, to me that's where my eyeball tells me a whole lot more than metrics will. Hamilton can fly but now arm, Beltran has a good arm but nowhere near the range of Andruw and Al Simmons was a combination of Hamilton/Beltran without the upside.
Personally I'd take Reggie Smith of the Red Sox and Dodgers 1966-1982 over Andruw Jones. Reggie Smith hasd a career batting average of .287 with 314 career home runs.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Personally I'd take Reggie Smith of the Red Sox and Dodgers 1966-1982 over Andruw Jones. Reggie Smith hasd a career batting average of .287 with 314 career home runs.

Reggie couldn't cover the ground Andruw could, you and I are close enough in age that you know I saw Reggie in his prime. The only center fielder I ever saw that comes close to Andruw defensively was Griffey Jr. and, honestly, I can't say who was better.