Atlanta Braves News

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to say but IMO, we have seen yesterdays type of game the entire second half of the season.
Unfortunately for yesterday we didn't get bailed out by a second tier player getting a timely hit ... this is why I feel the Braves are fragile this post-season.
Four reasons I fear the worst for tomorrow;
1) 0-9 with RISP yesterday
2) Freeman 2-16 in the series
3) Donaldson 2-15 in the series
4) Markakis 3-17 in the series

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The younger guys are carrying the Braves. Acuna has been fantastic(excepting the base he didn’t get in the first game by carrying the bat 3/4 of the way to 1B and not running full tilt), Albies(again, one mistake by not pulling the ball with Acuna on 2B and zero outs, yesterday), Swanson, Duvall. I’m not sure what has happened to McCann and Kakes? They look lost at the plate. Freddie isn’t even making contact, while 6 for 32 can’t help. Donaldson, kind of feeds off the guys around him in the order. He’s clearly taking some good pitches for strikes. Can Flowers bat? Being saved for emergencies?

Keuchel won’t pitch Wednesday and if I had my way, neither would Nuke Slider-Jack a/k/a SliderFellow & FNSM. Julio, only if we are out of pitchers in extra innings.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here we are.... all we need is a single win from Braves, then a single win from Nationals and we have a Braves v Nationals all NL EAST NLCS.

It is baseball... so, predicting the outcome of any one game is impossible.

If you'd told me at beginning of Nats series, I'd be looking ahead to a 5th game, I'd have been thrilled. The Dodgers have no holes. The Nationals can only really have hope if they duplicate Game 4. Have Strasburg shut them down for 7 innings (minimum) & hope the offense can get in that 5+ runs range. Otherwise, you are relying on a bullpen that will feature starters who are fatigued & out of their normal roles in Corbin & Sanchez... then Doolittle & Hudson. Bottom line... on road against the best NL team all year, margin of error for Nats is razor thin.

The one intangible in Nationals favor is they should be loose... compared to Dodgers. Hopefully, Dodgers are gripping the bats a little tighter, their fans are oozing negativity & Nationals can jump on them early to really ratchet that up.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Fred, yes baseball is unpredictable for the most part.
Milwaukee looked like they had the Nats down and out in the wild card game and not many if anyone gave them a chance vs. LAD.
The Braves win the NL East going away and play a weak hitting Cardinal team, but can't score any runs ... go figure ??
Also, I think the same intangible applies for the Cardinals.
The hope for the Braves is that Folty does a repeat performance from Game 2 and we manage enough offense to eek out the W ...

GT_EE78

Banned
The two best guys out of our bullpen were fried and Melon.both only pitched one inning the day prior and had the previous travel day off. One was used as a pinch runner and the other was not used at all. I think this one was heavily on Snitker. If We don't win game 5. I wouldn't expect to see snit return next year.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
The two best guys out of our bullpen were fried and Melon.both only pitched one inning the day prior and had the previous travel day off. One was used as a pinch runner and the other was not used at all. I think this one was heavily on Snitker. If We don't win game 5. I wouldn't expect to see snit return next year.
I could see Brian Snitker deciding to retire however i don't think AA would fire him after the Braves won 97 games in 2019.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I like to have these discussions. This is the manager that has managed the division winner 2 years in a row. In 2019, kept the team winning (in lead in division) up until trade deadline brought reinforcements to a below average bullpen. You're saying his "trouble" in a 5-game NLDS is enough to get rid of him?. Careful what you wish for.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Snitker is in for next year. Hearing he wants to manage until 2025 if team is doing well and He stays in good health.

Enjoy game 5. This is what winning 97 gives you, home field. Crowd needs to sound as loud as St. Louis’ did those last few innings.

Cardinals did pretty well down the stretch. No embarrassment losing to them or LA(Washington either, for that matter-a very solid team). I know, Bullpens aside, the Eastern Division was good 1, 2 and 3.

Edited to say: Fred, they want to keep our staff intact if at all possible. How about Davey and his?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I like to have these discussions. This is the manager that has managed the division winner 2 years in a row. In 2019, kept the team winning (in lead in division) up until trade deadline brought reinforcements to a below average bullpen. You're saying his "trouble" in a 5-game NLDS is enough to get rid of him. Careful what you wish for.
It's sort of like the worst decision the Braves ever made which was Ted Turner firing Joe Torre in 1984:oops:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Snitker is in for next year. Hearing he wants to manage until 2025 if team is doing well and He stays in good health.

Enjoy game 5. This is what winning 97 gives you, home field. Crowd needs to sound as loud as St. Louis’ did those last few innings.

Cardinals did pretty well down the stretch. No embarrassment losing to them or LA(Washington either, for that matter-a very solid team). I know, Bullpens aside, the Eastern Division was good 1, 2 and 3.

Edited to say: Fred, they want to keep our staff intact if at all possible. How about Davey and his?
Well... let me admit now....If I were in charge of any pro team, we'd suck (in general) because I fear the unknown to a relative (to most others) extreme. I'd keep players & managers entirely beyond their useful value because I'd somehow rationalize the alternative will be a disaster.

I've found most fans are the opposite... whatever could happen (by a future change) or you never got a chance to see happen (by holding what you got)... most fans assume will work out better than what they have seen or are experiencing real time.

So... yes. Keep Martinez & staff.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Fred, I’m with you because breaking up winning doesn’t make sense. Twerking like Tehran or replacing a Donaldson, a Keuchel, a McCann, those are given needs to address. I’m sure you face that if Rendon leaves or a Strasberg, a Zimmerman retiring. Matt Adams? Glad the Braves are reaching out to coaches, before other teams poach.

Not singling out any of our good, pure fans-but I’m sure many were down on Folty. Some of us didn’t want to sell low and we knew his attitude was hindering him. If I told people that he would be the reason we are playing a game 5 and he is going to pitch it over Fried and Soroka, they would commit me to Peachford Mental Hospital. That he would beat their ace who had thrown 117 pitches and lost, Milledgeville I’d be sent if they still have a mental facility. Before the season, Fried would win 17 and not start a game in the NLDS. Washington would begin 17-31, but win over 90 and have the Dodgers even after 4 games in the playoffs. Baseball is truly unpredictable.