ATL Hawks Season Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What an emotional night. Hawks took an 8sec violation, followed by the wizards taking a 24sec violation.

Each honoring Kobe who'd traveled with his daughter twice to take her to see her favorite player, Mr. Trae Young. He wore #8 to start the game. Went out and had a Kobe-esque game ... on 24 shots.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
NBA season suspended after tonight's games due to a player testing positive for Corona virus.

Wow.

It was rudy Gobert who jokingly touched reporters' mic at a press conference to mock the precautions taken by the league to keep them safe.

You can't make this up.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hawks with a nice road win at N.O.
Off to a 3-1 start.
Meshing in some guys who didn’t play in the playoffs with them last season.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Wizards off to a great start, smack Hawks in Washington. Those back to backs are bad news on the second night.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hawks 4-3, but Hunter is blending back in and nice to have Reddish off the bench. Tonight Huerter didn’t start.

slugboy

Staff member
Hawks 4-3, but Hunter is blending back in and nice to have Reddish off the bench. Tonight Huerter didn’t start.

They aren’t looking like a championship contender right now, but they didn’t at the start of last season, either. I hope we don’t have to change coaches mid season to make the playoffs again, though.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a really hard stretch of games coming up. I think they have the tools to pick up a lot of games, but the defense has been pretty bad. We're bottom 5 in opponent FG%.

Some of that will get helped with Onyeka coming back, but Capela hasn't been getting the job done on D and he hasn't been getting the lobs & points on O to make up for it like he usually does.

Capela is usually good for ~16-18 pts per 36 and has only been getting 12 so far this season. Hoping it's just rust shaking off.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Well this season's really gone to sh*t. They have only 3 regular rotation guys available and one of those is a 2-way contract dude.

Somebody explain to me why the Hawks are out here signing random guys just to make sure they can play games (and losing handily while doing so), but other teams are just postponing? Claiming they can't sign enough guys in time.

slugboy

Staff member
Well this season's really gone to sh*t. They have only 3 regular rotation guys available and one of those is a 2-way contract dude.

Somebody explain to me why the Hawks are out here signing random guys just to make sure they can play games (and losing handily while doing so), but other teams are just postponing? Claiming they can't sign enough guys in time.
The Hawks have a G-League team. Some other teams don’t. The teams with G-League teams got penalized because they can “bring players up”.

It’s stupid for the NBA to penalize teams for investing in their product. You’d think they had the NHL commissioner acting that dumb.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Hawks have a G-League team. Some other teams don’t. The teams with G-League teams got penalized because they can “bring players up”.

It’s stupid for the NBA to penalize teams for investing in their product. You’d think they had the NHL commissioner acting that dumb.

The league's handling of this has been NHL-level stoopid. So you relax restrictions on access, travel, etc. ... but you keep the strict testing and quarantine protocols .... then you restrict teams adding players initially so a bunch of games get postponed ... so you allow teams to sign randos to keep games going .... but you don't mandate that teams have to do it so some fake-try to sign guys to get games postponed anyway ... which, as you say, penalizes teams that try to keep the train/season going ...

Like, what's the plan here? You can't pause the league 'cause ... when TF would you re-start? Pandemic's still going on, to whatever level folks' political beliefs allow them to accept.

Right now, Adam Sliver is that dog sitting in the burning room saying, "this is fine".

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

Yeah, every time I see the Hawks lose a game, I have to remind myself that 3/4s of the team is dealing with COVID issues and we really are fielding a G-league team right now. Hopefully they can get over this soon and please start playing some defense lol.