ATL Hawks Season Thread

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Hawks will improve, and still could be a few years away after this one.
I’m surprised they have zero games on ESPN scheduled. Guess we know now that the media has a lack of respect for our entertainment value with Young, Collins, and the youth movement. TNT has them on twice, both games before Hanukkah or Christmas.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
After the preseason, I'm hedging a little on the Hawks success, record-wise, this season.

-Uncertainty about Huerter's health (I would rather they play it safe than rush him back).
-Improvements I hoped to see in Len have not been evident in preseason. We just need a more athletic, explosive finisher at that spot.
-Not sure about the bench makeover. Gonna take some time to see which pieces fit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, I was optimistic by how they finished but they could take a step back record-wise this season. And I'm ok with that (to a degree). We have to invest in developing the wings which could cost us wins.

I don't like losing but I'm ok with making this another development year. It's not like we'd be punting on the season. It just is what it is.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good performance all around, especially defensively. Once Heurt gets on track, gonna be deadly.

Hunter slid right in nicely. Reddish struggled but, if I'm being honest, I don't expect much from him early. Needs CLP's development. Expect to see marked improvement later in the season.

slugboy

Staff member
Hawks 2-0?

Trae Young is a monster. Nash-Curry hybrid. Oh my.

I don’t want to have to count on 38 out of him every night, but dang that’s impressive.

Like to get the assist count up higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want to have to count on 38 out of him every night, but dang that’s impressive.

Like to get the assist count up higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trae is a superstar in the making. I know we are not used to that in ATL, but it's a fact. If his shooting percentage was lower, I'd feel the same way, but right now he's come out of the gate locked in. Even still, he's had 9 assists in both games. Sit back and enjoy the ride...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Trae is a superstar in the making. I know we are not used to that in ATL, but it's a fact. If his shooting percentage was lower, I'd feel the same way, but right now he's come out of the gate locked in. Even still, he's had 9 assists in both games. Sit back and enjoy the ride...

He's got a point though. These first 2 games do not represent a recipe for success. However, I think his scoring has been needed as the rookies get acclimated and as Heurter gets his sea legs back under him. IOW, his scoring/assisting will balance out over time.

What's been promising has been the team's defense overall and Trae's defense in particular. Parker as our bench-bully has been a welcome addition.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm high on the Hawks - Trey, Collins. Huerter, Hunter - these guys are just going to get better and better. Wish I was high on Tech basketball - blah.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh well... shoulda known after Trae's hot start that an injury was coming. ATL can't have nice things...

The next couple weeks will be tough, but will be a chance for Cam and Kev to increase their ballhandling roles.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
No longer getting an MRI with the improvement of the ankle today. Will return next week.

Maybe he'll be blessed with Jeff Teague ankles!

The timing does suck, though. I mean, ATL only has 2 nationally televised games all year, and one is tonight in a rematch vs. the Heat. Missed opportunity for the country to see Trae go off.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Good to hear, Young is progressing well with the ankle. Hawks are saying back next week.
Collins will return in the 4th quarter tonight.

slugboy

Staff member
If Reddish learns to connect on a shot like this, wow:

@DanWeiner: My God Cam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk