Athlon: ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously (2022)

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
All this talk the last few years about needing a schematic advantage is true for all teams but for some reason some GT fans have the belief that’s it the end all be all. Listen, I loved Johnson. And if Johnson ran the modern offense he would have been successful. You know why? He’s competent and demands his players are competent. Just like if Kirby or Riley ran the option. There is no magic scheme. But there are coaches who don’t settle for mistake prone football and there are coaches who allow mistake filled football. We’ve had 3 years of watching Collins settle with absolutely no accountability. Sure, he talks about it but we’ve never ever seen it. Throw a pick, get a pat on the butt. Get a penalty, get a clap and encouragement. Miss an assignment, get a hug and sent back in. It’s just been ridiculous. Meanwhile the coach to our east who has way more pressure on him and higher end players has no problem going berserk on a player who misses a play and yanking him out of the game.
Johnson in his early years as OC actually ran a much more pass oriented offense and was successful The issue is intensity and driving players to perform at their best. At times people complained about PJ demeanor on the sidelines. But players appeared all in. It's a fine line but players need to understand coaches do care about their success but won't be their best friend.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Johnson in his early years as OC actually ran a much more pass oriented offense and was successful The issue is intensity and driving players to perform at their best. At times people complained about PJ demeanor on the sidelines. But players appeared all in. It's a fine line but players need to understand coaches do care about their success but won't be their best friend.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I talked to JC Lanier a few times back when he was on o line. He told me Coach Johnson would absolutely tear into them in practice when they made mistakes, but he seemed appreciative of it rather than disgruntled.

When we were kids, we wanted to have fun and have a good time, but feel down we also want the structure as well (these are come kids after all). That's been the issue here the last 4 years. Too much fun vs structure and order.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Not many effective leaders in any endeavor, will tell you their secret to success is..... leading by friendship. With the cancel culture environment we now live in, you'd think kids are somehow genetically different now than in the past. They are not. They respond to no nonsense treatment from those they respect. I'm hoping coaches Long and Tillman are just what the doctor ordered, because the patient has been anemic in this regard for awhile.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not many effective leaders in any endeavor, will tell you their secret to success is..... leading by friendship. With the cancel culture environment we now live in, you'd think kids are somehow genetically different now than in the past. They are not. They respond to no nonsense treatment from those they respect. I'm hoping coaches Long and Tillman are just what the doctor ordered, because the patient has been anemic in this regard for awhile.
Not sure how kids might be genetically different. And what is cancel culture? 🤔

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Collins has reminded me way too much of Jim Mora Jr since day 1. I remember citadel game we got multiple unsportsmanlikes on the same drive and he was just butt patting and and shoulder patting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fridge gave us a schematic advantage, probably bigger than Johnson. Tenuta
gave us a schematic advantage. It doesn’t have to be all option, it needs to be something that doesn’t take Calvin Johnson or someone of his caliber to win with, but a handful of 4 stars and a bevy of 3 stars behind them with no quit.

Fridge and Johnson are very rare breeds. Phenomenal football minds that translated on the field. Not only that, but they could develop talent at a high level.

Those guys are few and far between...but that is what a school like GT needs. 100% GT does not need an option heavy offense, we just need coaches that have a unique system and knows how to develop talent. That requires our AD to look outside the box when the time comes.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fridge and Johnson are very rare breeds. Phenomenal football minds that translated on the field. Not only that, but they could develop talent at a high level.

Those guys are few and far between...but that is what a school like GT needs. 100% GT does not need an option heavy offense, we just need coaches that have a unique system and knows how to develop talent. That requires our AD to look outside the box when the time comes.
I gotta disagree. They are rare breeds for GT and I love both those guys but they are not rare breeds overall. Every team has their versions of smart, hard nosed, and disciplined coaches who they point to in their history. In my view as a GT fan the best football mind we’ve ever had was Bobby Ross. I followed him as a kid as my dad was a Terrapin. Ross doesn’t get the credit he deserves as a football mind. All he did was win and every level in college and in the highest level of all - the NFL.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Fridge gave us a schematic advantage, probably bigger than Johnson. Tenuta
gave us a schematic advantage. It doesn’t have to be all option, it needs to be something that doesn’t take Calvin Johnson or someone of his caliber to win with, but a handful of 4 stars and a bevy of 3 stars behind them with no quit.
I honestly think the previous offensive system we ran here has broken a significant portion of our fan base's brains. You can't even use the word 'scheme' without being accused of being in some sort of spread option CPJ cult. When you talk about 'schematic advantages' offered by an offense it's obvious you can only be talking about running the version of the spread option we did from 2008-2018. No one else talks about any other offense that way. Yea ok.

It's like the last 100+ years of the sport never happened. I roll my eyes every time it happens.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I gotta disagree. They are rare breeds for GT and I love both those guys but they are not rare breeds overall. Every team has their versions of smart, hard nosed, and disciplined coaches who they point to in their history.
Have to disagree with you here. Friedgen, Johnson, Andy Reid, etc. These guys are absolutely rare breeds. They were able to see something beyond what the normal offensive coordinators see and make it happen. There are absolutely others, but these guys are/were head and shoulders above most of what is out there. They just see things that others don't.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Have to disagree with you here. Friedgen, Johnson, Andy Reid, etc.
I respect CPJ as much as the next person here; however, even I have to admit seeing his name casually next to Andy Reid is a little much.

CPJ definitely has Andy Reid beat in the father-figure department — I’ll give him that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think the previous offensive system we ran here has broken a significant portion of our fan base's brains. You can't even use the word 'scheme' without being accused of being in some sort of spread option CPJ cult. When you talk about 'schematic advantages' offered by an offense it's obvious you can only be talking about running the version of the spread option we did from 2008-2018. No one else talks about any other offense that way. Yea ok.

It's like the last 100+ years of the sport never happened. I roll my eyes every time it happens.
Heisman and Dodd were both system people. It shouldn’t be a dirty word to the Tech faithful.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I agree with you on being able to develop talent, but without this you wrote in bold, especially in the CFB world today, it won't matter. We need the smartest guy on the field running the O, in my opinion. It also helps to have a genius on D as well, but it is much harder to "scheme" success on that side of the ball.