Athlon: ACC Coaches Talk Anonymously (2022)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
This is not an objective review of any program. It’s clickbait hot takes that are crafted by schools pitching against other schools.

We talk about being a 5 star development program so they trash us there.

We have our problems, but Redding too deeply into this kind of article is a recipe for self-induced heartburn

Don’t give in to the ❤️‍🔥
9-25
18 losses by double digits
No wins over a FBS team that has finished the season with a winning record

Is it any wonder why opposing coaches are pointing fingers at GT and laughing?

Frankly, I think those opposing coaches were lenient in their estimation of the current GT program and its coach.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
"They had one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen last year, and all those guys are gone, so maybe that's a positive move?"

Looking at the roster, there are 25 DB listed o_O. If we truly are a "developmental" program, surely we can find 5 that can play at the P5 level. If so, it will go a long way in keeping us semi-competitive.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think other coaches are that stupid. It looks like an eight grade fan boy wrote that stuff. Sounds like someone that watches a few games every year. While I agree with most things he wrote, I also know paint is wet. Should have been signed Captain Obvious instead of some anonymous coach or ball boy.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
"They had one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen last year, and all those guys are gone, so maybe that's a positive move?"

Looking at the roster, there are 25 DB listed o_O. If we truly are a "developmental" program, surely we can find 5 that can play at the P5 level. If so, it will go a long way in keeping us semi-competitive.
Yep, we got a good TAG team possibly with all the DBs. -or--now if we could play 7-8 at a time with a 13-14 total.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don’t think other coaches are that stupid. It looks like an eight grade fan boy wrote that stuff. Sounds like someone that watches a few games every year. While I agree with most things he wrote, I also know paint is wet. Should have been signed Captain Obvious instead of some anonymous coach or ball boy.
i think a lot of times when you see articles like this for nfl and college i have a hard time believing that these are accurate quotes or if anything like that was even said at all. some nfl DC said a week or two ago that he didn’t care if lamar jackson won 12 mvps he’d never be a top qb. guys have referred to mahomes as just playing street ball. just such ridiculous statements i feel like on these articles the author just threw that in to generate some buzz and get some clicks.

slugboy

Staff member
Everybody knows this Athlon issue is the "trash talk behind other team's backs" issue. It wouldn't surprise me if it was one of their best sellers. Nobody is skimming through looking for a compliment. The writer also gets to choose which bits are the juiciest to write down.
There's no telling if someone said "the WRs look good though", and that didn't make the cut.
If you want a good breakdown, watch the film.

JacketFan137

Banned
apparently, some folks don't.
and they don't get Collins is a tool and a clown who should have been let go already.
but we're stuck with him. for 12 more games.
i have not seen anyone say collins is great or even good/average on this forum in the past year. i would even say the vast majority of us “collins defenders” wouldn’t care if he was let go tomorrow. unfortunately due to financial constraints that has not been feasible so the situation is what it is and it was never changing this off-season or either of the two before that. as fans god forbid they still believe things can get turned around and still see the positives in this team cause objectively there has been some and the praise isn’t a quarter as loud as the constant negativity.

the negative nancies also feel like they are presenting new information by reminding everyone how bad we’ve been when everyone is well aware of that by now. it’s just gotten really old

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
“One of the worst secondarys I’ve ever seen…”

A bit mystifying how that happened considering that was CGC’s forte coming in, and it’s where we accumulated some 4 star talent.
It was obvious to me that they were not playing well together and seemed to absolutely refuse to attack the ball. I know I am over simplifying, but it did appear that they were not well coached, and a couple of players seemed to be too big and not quick enough to play their assigned position. That, in my opinion is a coaching issue that should have been taken care of by Collins or Thacker. I do think Collins has the expertise to solve the problem. If he does not, he is probably gone.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
It was obvious to me that they were not playing well together and seemed to absolutely refuse to attack the ball. I know I am over simplifying, but it did appear that they were not well coached, and a couple of players seemed to be too big and not quick enough to play their assigned position. That, in my opinion is a coaching issue that should have been taken care of by Collins or Thacker. I do think Collins has the expertise to solve the problem. If he does not, he is probably gone.
They didn't comunicate definitly was coaching, but now that it's one secondary coach that Will help greatly.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Most of those comments are asinine. The second one is the only one that seemed to be credible, which remarked about Chip Long and the cupboard being bare--something knowledgeable people realized when Collins took over, and that 2 (full) recruiting classes has not resolved.

A recent 247 podcast talked about how negative recruiting against Tech has been extreme this year (and this board is responsible for providing some of that negative ammunition). Many of these comments sound like negative recruiting spiel by assistant coaches, rather than objective assessments.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
When Collins took over he said that the only CB with the talent to play at this level was Swilling. Swilling turned out to be a locker room disruption because his brother wasn't getting to play. CB is not a position where you want a rookie to play, so there you are.

The transfers should help remedy this situation. I believe we have the talent, if not the experience, so that the secondary will improve. The coaching improvement on offense will allow a three time Broyles award nominee to spend more time coaching the defense.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
When Collins took over he said that the only CB with the talent to play at this level was Swilling. Swilling turned out to be a locker room disruption because his brother wasn't getting to play. CB is not a position where you want a rookie to play, so there you are.

The transfers should help remedy this situation. I believe we have the talent, if not the experience, so that the secondary will improve. The coaching improvement on offense will allow a three time Broyles award nominee to spend more time coaching the defense.
One thing I heard from walton is that the locker room has no distractions about things like that so that may come to help in the long run

slugboy

Staff member

One thing I heard from walton is that the locker room has no distractions about things like that so that may come to help in the long run
Is Collins working with the DBs and defense?
For the last couple of years, he's talked about working with the offense.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I've heard he's having more involvement with the secondary Especially after last season. I see this will look good.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
First problem playing two LBs at safety.
Then letting them set up 25 yds from los
I am not sure about Miami - Chizuk spoke at a company banquet. I got to talk to him at length . He is a rah motivater type. Kevin Steele keeps hanging around but had a rocky time at Baylor and Clemson. They could regress to the coaches that stuck to the failed game plan. The qb staying healthy is key

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Collins specifically talks about being hands on with the DBs. He's mentioned it several times on video interviews.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A recent 247 podcast talked about how negative recruiting against Tech has been extreme this year (and this board is responsible for providing some of that negative ammunition). Many of these comments sound like negative recruiting spiel by assistant coaches, rather than objective assessments.

Sorry, but winning 9 games in 3 years is enough ammunition. Having a defense ranked in the lowest 10th percentile is enough ammunition. Having an inept offense that actually performed better than the defense (where most of our talent was on) is enough ammunition. Other coaches don't need any ammunition...the team's performance on the field is more than enough.

There's a LOT of revisionist history going on in defense of CGC. I was one of his biggest defenders until last season happened. I've posted repeatedly about how pretty much every coach (minus Bill Lewis) since I've been following GT football in 1990 has coached the team to bowl eligibility by their 3rd year. None of those coaches had the benefit of the transfer portal and immediate eligibility of transfers like CGC does. CGC also has more resources than any coach we've had to date. According to 247, our roster was the 5th most talented roster in the ACC including the transfers that he signed. We did not play like the 5th most talented roster.

3 years is more than enough time to go from 3 wins to 6 wins in the 3rd year. Beating UNC, and beating them pretty badly, in the Benz last season is proof that there's more than enough talent on this team. Hanging with Clemson in the first game is another sign that this team had enough talent.

This is year 4. Time to put up or get out and let someone else try to right this ship. I really hope CGC does get us to a bowl game and rights the ship because firing a coach is expensive, and detrimental to the program. If he can't right the ship, it's time for him to go. Hopefully this time TStan goes outside of the GT "family" circle and does a lot more due diligence looking for a coach.