Athletic Director's Update

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I want nicer facilities. as much as anything because ... it makes for a greater overall experience for players, fans, etc. But better facilities didn't do a damn thing for Tennessee. They are in the Top 5 of facilities and among the elite in money raising ... and yet they are a total train wreck of a program.

I'm also reminded of a book I read recently called The Talent Code. The author provides examples of how a penniless Russian tennis club creates more top twenty women tennis players than the entire United States or how a humble storefront music school in Dallas, TX, can produce a handful of pop stars. The Koreans do it in women's golf. The Brazilians in soccer.

It isn't the facilities. In fact, he argues that "better" facilities inhibit the very learning required to perform at a world-class level.

Great letter and I'm glad to see TStan engaged. But ... do we REALLY understand how to develop players as if it was a science? Again, things we excel at in the world, we struggle to apply to our own sports team.

Just sayin ...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I want nicer facilities. as much as anything because ... it makes for a greater overall experience for players, fans, etc. But better facilities didn't do a damn thing for Tennessee. They are in the Top 5 of facilities and among the elite in money raising ... and yet they are a total train wreck of a program.

I'm also reminded of a book I read recently called The Talent Code. The author provides examples of how a penniless Russian tennis club creates more top twenty women tennis players than the entire United States or how a humble storefront music school in Dallas, TX, can produce a handful of pop stars. The Koreans do it in women's golf. The Brazilians in soccer.

It isn't the facilities. In fact, he argues that "better" facilities inhibit the very learning required to perform at a world-class level.

Great letter and I'm glad to see TStan engaged. But ... do we REALLY understand how to develop players as if it was a science? Again, things we excel at in the world, we struggle to apply to our own sports team.

Just sayin ...
Was there any investigation into the socioeconomic and cultural differences? High school aged American football players are vastly different then preteen tennis players in Russia.

From a talent development perspective, this is probably spot on. For recruiting the best when there is more competition, I think there are other factors.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I’ve supported CPJ for the past 9 years. I kinda wrote off last year because we were so close to having a great season. We had Tennessee and Miami beat and I honestly believe if we win those two games we easily beat Virginia and beat Duke. Clemson and UGA are the only teams we should’ve lost to last year.

So this year I was expecting to win the ones we were supposed to and compete in the ones we shouldn’t.

I just believe CPJ is so stubborn about his offense. He wants the guy who runs the offense the best from a technical standpoint vs a guy who may not be as fluid with it but can beat you with his arm.

JT could run the offense to CPJs standards but he could also throw the ball pretty well. 2016 JTs arm keep us in most games when the triple-option wasn’t moving the ball very much. I just believe to be effective with this offense nowadays you have to have a guy that can scare the defense with his arm. We don’t get many true dual-threat QBs because guys who can throw do not want to play in this offense. It just seems to me that CPJ has to be willing to change his offense some to attract more dual threat guys.

Deleted member 2897

I’ve supported CPJ for the past 9 years. I kinda wrote off last year because we were so close to having a great season. We had Tennessee and Miami beat and I honestly believe if we win those two games we easily beat Virginia and beat Duke. Clemson and UGA are the only teams we should’ve lost to last year.

So this year I was expecting to win the ones we were supposed to and compete in the ones we shouldn’t.

I just believe CPJ is so stubborn about his offense. He wants the guy who runs the offense the best from a technical standpoint vs a guy who may not be as fluid with it but can beat you with his arm.

JT could run the offense to CPJs standards but he could also throw the ball pretty well. 2016 JTs arm keep us in most games when the triple-option wasn’t moving the ball very much. I just believe to be effective with this offense nowadays you have to have a guy that can scare the defense with his arm. We don’t get many true dual-threat QBs because guys who can throw do not want to play in this offense. It just seems to me that CPJ has to be willing to change his offense some to attract more dual threat guys.

Comments like this (and others) are all perfectly fine. Nobody is above questioning, analyzing, second guessing. The larger point is to be a fan, support the team at games and financially, and don't be an ******* all over social media and in email to the staff and student athletes.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Comments like this (and others) are all perfectly fine. Nobody is above questioning, analyzing, second guessing. The larger point is to be a fan, support the team at games and financially, and don't be an ******* all over social media and in email to the staff and student athletes.

I think you're preaching to the choir here. 99% of the people on this message board are not the ones on social media making fools out of themselves. I wouldn't be surprised of most of those bad "fans" on social media aren't actually fans at all, and there are even some trolls from other fan-bases.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Was there any investigation into the socioeconomic and cultural differences? High school aged American football players are vastly different then preteen tennis players in Russia.

From a talent development perspective, this is probably spot on. For recruiting the best when there is more competition, I think there are other factors.

It wasn't just preteen tennis. His theory focused on the pattern of talent development and found similar exemplars among soccer players in Brazil, baseball players in (I think Dominican Republic), women's golf in Korea, women's tennis in Russia, musicians, etc. His argument was that deep practice under specific conditions accelerates development, learning and repeatability.

So you are right, if I understand your point. We need to do X if we are going to recruit talent already developed; but we need to do Y if we must develop lesser talent ourselves and do so FASTER than the competitors.

That's where our core competence should be ... we can develop you faster. Just sayin ...

Deleted member 2897

I think you're preaching to the choir here. 99% of the people on this message board are not the ones on social media making fools out of themselves. I wouldn't be surprised of most of those bad "fans" on social media aren't actually fans at all, and there are even some trolls from other fan-bases.

I've pushed back on some of the folks on Instagram (one guy berated TaQuon Marshall on his birthday on his Instagram account for example), and I've heard from multiple of them that they've read my posts on GTSwarm. So I don't doubt that a high majority of the people we're describing aren't here, but it appears to me there are indeed some.

DallasBuzzFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed. We have plenty of resources for a PK to make PATs and for a Kickoff Return team to be coached to not give up a historic back-to-back KO Return TDs. The resource angle is a lazy excuse for those 2 losses.

HS PKs make more PATs with much, much less resources than we have.

Your bashing is pretty weak as well. Unless you forgot that we had a legit kicker committed to come here and then flipped to “Alabama” (who’s resources are a TON better) just prior to signing day. We were left with what we have. IF he hadn’t flipped that 1 player COULD have corrected both the kicking game AND the return game.

Was the return game an issue while Butker was here? NOPE!!!

FYI… Kicking in high school vs. kicking in college is two totally different things.

Read the TStan’s letter again…… Hop On or Hop Off. Or as Clemson would say “ALL IN” or get out.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I've pushed back on some of the folks on Instagram (one guy berated TaQuon Marshall on his birthday on his Instagram account for example), and I've heard from multiple of them that they've read my posts on GTSwarm. So I don't doubt that a high majority of the people we're describing aren't here, but it appears to me there are indeed some.

Well hopefully they're just lurkers and not posters on here. At least I'm glad to hear there's some real fans pushing back and calling out some of these idiots on social media, keep it up!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't just preteen tennis.
I assumed preteen tennis because most tennis academies start very young. To be a pro, you are usually going to be a nationally ranked junior at a very young age. Sorry if it was a bad assumption in the Russian tennis case.

Considering we have things in NCAA football like the Miami "turnover chain" (which seems to actually really motivate them), it seems to me that American youths may draw inspiration and motivation from different areas then their counterparts across the globe. I definitely think I will check out Talent Code though as it seems like a very interesting book with potential to draw conclusions beyond just sports.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The facilities argument is silly. Just look at what happened to Rocky when he went with Apollo out to LA and trained for the rematch with Clubber Lang...Eye of the Tiger...that's what really matters!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Email that went out this morning:

Dear Georgia Tech Family,

One of the things that makes Georgia Tech so special to me is the passion of our students, alumni and fans. I’m appreciative of the passion that thousands of you display through your support of our athletics program and our student-athletes, who work so hard to be Everyday Champions. I also truly appreciate the passion expressed in the emails and tweets that I receive from the Georgia Tech family – even as of late, when some of them haven’t been very much fun to read.

Like many of you, I’m frustrated and disappointed in how this year’s football season has started. I was in that locker room after Saturday’s game and can tell you this with 100-percent certainty – NO ONE is more frustrated with our 1-3 start than the men who coach our team and the young men on the team.

First, let me say that I remain in total support of our student-athletes and coaching staff and believe that they are fully committed and capable of success this season.

Secondly, let me acknowledge that no one associated with our program – coaches, players, athletics staff, students, alumni or fans – is satisfied with being 1-3 or with the prospect of not going to postseason.

However, with all due respect, I truly feel that many of the emails and social media posts that I’ve seen as of late are counterproductive to meeting the high expectations that we all have for our program. To meet those expectations, there are no shortcuts and it is not going to be cheap.

To consistently meet those expectations, we must acknowledge that we have slowly fallen behind our competition in terms of the resources needed to assist our student-athletes and coaches when they line up week-in and week-out against programs that have those resources. We are located in the toughest neighborhood in the country for college football – three of last year's four College Football Playoff participants are within a three-hour drive of our campus and eight of the last nine national champions are within a 250-mile radius.

With your help, we have begun to address those needs. Recent investments (new locker room, upgraded nutrition center and training table, partnership with adidas, addition of three quality-control analysts, doubling our recruiting staff and creation of a recruiting-focused lobby to our football headquarters) show that Georgia Tech is serious about our football program.

Those investments have paid some immediate dividends and will continue to do so as time goes on, but there is still more to do. The $125 million that we’re in the process of raising as part of Athletics Initiative 2020 is the price of admission to give our student-athletes and coaches the same resources that others in our neighborhood enjoy.

Therefore, I urge our incredible and passionate fans to support this program in ways that can help us attain the resources needed to assist our football student-athletes and coaches:

• buy tickets, starting with Saturday’s Heroes Day game against Bowling Green;
  • donate to the Athletics Initiative 2020;
  • use your platforms to support Georgia Tech, our student-athletes and our initiatives, and urge others to do the same.
Coach Johnson is a fighter and he has proven time and again that he can mold a group of young men that can fight above their weight class. I am confident that he and his team have a lot of fight left in them, to go along with a lot of ability and a lot of football still left to play.

However, as a Georgia Tech football letterwinner, alum and athletics director, I’m also frustrated by always having to fight above our weight class. We can all see how hard it is to do on a year-in and year-out basis. I need all of our Georgia Tech Family to rally together behind this team and our athletics program, as well as decide if we’re all willing to do what’s necessary to put us in the same weight class as those we compete against on a regular basis.

Hope to see you on Saturday at Bobby Dodd!

Together We Swarm,

1PUtHO2E3pTZ4Lr999FeWjB4_8G3KhRGaXVS-3erqCbb1WT4eDF2NafCLr4lKt-RQpOXq1s0Zf8KFUjddmib9cypWlx4Mens5zJuVxokQR61ls3vTnaox6WkUnMLsMkPceULGgw3sTcbX695eUDu3QU=s0-d-e1-ft

Todd Stansbury

JUST SAW THIS.

BEFORE THE CLEMSON GAME AT THE WALK UP, I SHOOK HIS HAND AND SAID " DONT BACK DOWN! " (I have no idea why I said that). HE SHOOK MY HAND AND WITH A WRY SMILE SAID , "I WONT"

Over 10 years ago, i happened to be in atl when Coach was hired.
Happened to see him walk out off offence and congratulated him on hire. He stopped and said hi- I wished him well and while we shook his hands "I said To Hell With Ga!". He gave the same Wry smile.

It's time to up our game.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...in all seriousness though. The facilities argument is a little silly. We have a freakin' massive indoor practice facility. Georgia just got one of those like last year. We've had ours for quite a while now.

The argument is that they help recruit...which may help a little, but the thing that helps recruit more is staff. It's nice that we doubled the recruiting staff, but it needs to be doubled again...especially if we're going to keep playing by the NCAA rules when others clearly aren't. This will allow us to effectively recruit nationally to find the kind of players we can get to come to Tech and be successful...then we'll be on to something.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We were successful under Rice with our Total Person Program. We must have either gotten away from emphasizing it during recruiting or other schools started copying it which minimized our advantage with it. We seem to have gone to pushing a 40 year program instead. Both are important.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm sure there are. I know I've added to my 'blocked' list to cut out some of the over-the-top negativity on this board. No one's happy now, but some are gleeful in their misery and going after coaches and players pretty hard for 'fans'.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's a well put together letter that puts on the public face that is probably needed from the AD at this point. Hopefully though that is all this is. If this is the way he truly views the situation then things aren't going to get better. There is a portion of the fanbase who doesn't think that Johnson is a problem at all. I'm sure they loved this letter and it might even inspire them t o give money. I suspect they are the ones already doing so though. But the letter is pretty tone deaf to the, growing, section of the fanbase that thinks the head coach is a problem. The statement that nobody is satisfied with the prospect of not going to the postseason rings hollow when we just had that happen and the coach got an extension out of it. You can make the arguments all you want about why it was needed, but to miss a bowl, give an extension, and then start the way we start is a lot stronger than saying nobody is content with what is happening, or that you're frustrated and disappointed. It's certainly not a good lead in to "give me more money". The fact is for many of the people who actually need to be convinced to give, the only thing that will spur that is either to win more, and consistently, to change the opinions on whether Johnson can get it done here, or to change coaches.

My guess though is that he knows it and privately has conveyed that sentiment to Johnson. At least I hope so.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Pitt gets faciitlies boosts from The Steelers investing in their stadium. They are subsidized by an nfl team.

A stadium they, at most, play about 6 times per year in.
It is a misconception that our passing tree is simple. Our passing tree runs the most NFL route in all of football. The option route. 80 percent of our passing game is based off option routes and one on one coverage. The problem is it takes both the receiver and the QB being able to read the defense the same way. When that doesn't happen you get the crap we have seen this year.

Option routes are something that NFL teams struggle to teach receivers, but the best recievers, especially slot receivers are masters of them ( wes welker, pretty much anyone but the burner receiver in new englands scheme, jones and sanu run a ton of them, calvin johnson as well.)

You see I would sell something different. We have yet to have a WR1 not get a shot in the nfl. Not all of them make it but we have yet to have one not ( maybe Greene woudl count but he didn't stay here). So if you are an NFL talent at receiver my pitch would be, yeah we might not throw it 40 times a game. But if you are 1 of 2 starters for us you will get mayeb 5 to 10 targets a game which is normal, and because you are usually 1v1 and not catching from the slot over the middle, your injury risk is lower, lower injury risk better chance to get the nfl. And i bet that is the pitch we give receivers. And i bet its working until they ask this question. " Can i major in communications?"

Then maybe our passing game (along with many other things) need to be simplified?