Athletic Director's Update

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that this year’s offense has been very disappointing. It’s pretty clear to me that we have a QB problem that explains most of the “awful” that we saw Saturday. I don’t think you can pin that recruiting either. I count 4 QBs that were successfully recruited but aren’t currently available (Johnson, Jones, Jordan, Ratliff). I’d take my chances on any of them at this point.
Christian Campbell as well.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
TStan showed this comparison some time ago. We have a mountain of debt and a lot of "legacy" costs (fired coaches) that crimp out ability to use revenue to its fullest. Those costs cycle out in 3-4 years. The main message I took from it was, "Hold on ... it's going to get a lot better:.

A lot of the debt has also been caused by all the facility upgrades we've done in the past few years. This is why I assumed we are at least on par with Pitt and USF if not ahead of them when it comes to facilities. But since I can't find concrete info about that I just listed total revenue.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the debt has also been caused by all the facility upgrades we've done in the past few years. This is why I assumed we are at least on par with Pitt and USF if not ahead of them when it comes to facilities. But since I can't find concrete info about that I just listed total revenue.

I believe you are correct, but ... wasn't the bulk of the facility upgrades to non-rev sports?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe you are correct, but ... wasn't the bulk of the facility upgrades to non-rev sports?

Not exactly sure, I was thinking more of the indoor practice facility and McCamish upgrade. But if we're spending that money on non-revenue sports let's get rid of them and invest all the money to football and basketball!! Jk (kinda)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not exactly sure, I was thinking more of the indoor practice facility and McCamish upgrade. But if we're spending that money on non-revenue sports let's get rid of them and invest all the money to football and basketball!! Jk (kinda)

I agree. You have to take care of the sports that generate the funds for the other programs.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
A Division 1 program must field a minimum of either (1) at least seven sports each for men and women, or (2) at least six for men and eight for women. In either instance. at least two sports must be for both sexes. Tech doesn't have much room to eliminate sports, currently only fielding eight teams for men (football, basketball, baseball, golf, tennis, swimming and diving, cross country, track and field) and seven for women (volleyball, tennis, softball, basketball, swimming and diving, track and field, cross country).

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
A Division 1 program must field a minimum of either (1) at least seven sports each for men and women, or (2) at least six for men and eight for women. In either instance. at least two sports must be for both sexes. Tech doesn't have much room to eliminate sports, currently only fielding eight teams for men (football, basketball, baseball, golf, tennis, swimming and diving, cross country, track and field) and seven for women (volleyball, tennis, softball, basketball, swimming and diving, track and field, cross country).
I hope one day GT adds Men's and Women's Soccer;):cool:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
There's also diminishing returns on facilities. Like putting in Lazer tag, puttputt, slides, and waterfalls probably won't help us enough to be worth investing in.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Once was enough. Stop making excuses for missing PATs. There's no excuse for that in P5 football or any level of college ball, actually.

STOP THE EXCUSES.
I really like to read your posts, i am an old man and i think i know why this board is so complacent. They have never been used to winning, it is like they expect to lose. Well i dont.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I really like to read your posts, i am an old man and i think i know why this board is so complacent. They have never been used to winning, it is like they expect to lose. Well i dont.

Everyone under 40 has always gotten a trophy no matter what. It’s not about winning, it’s about being made to feel good about yourself (at least until you enter the real world...).

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I agree. All those on this board that were born after 2014 when we went to the ACC Championship and won an Orange Bowl just have no experience with winning or appreciation for what winning felt like!

Okay, sarcasm off. Yes, the last four years have not been good enough. Nobody, again, literally NOBODY on this board is arguing that. We all agree on that. Instead, what some folks are saying is that the last 11 years under CPJ has represented one of the most successful periods of Tech football history and are thus willing to give coach a little more time to hopefully turn it back around. Anyone who considers that "settling" either does't understand our history, has forgotten our history, or just looks back on it with unreasonable gold-colored glasses.

Look at the "great" seasons since 1960. In 1966 and 1970 we had 9 wins. That is great! But sandwiched in-between were three straight years with only 4 wins. We also won 9 in 1985. Again, great! But we averaged less than 4 wins the next three years. But, you say, we won the national championship with 11 wins in 1990 and had 8 wins in 1991! Yes, and then the coach left and we again averaged less than 4 wins over the next three years. The only stretch consistently "greater" than the current stretch was 1998-2001 under O'Leary. And O'Leary promptly left Tech for a better job at ND.

Since 1980, we have probably only "mattered" on a national scale in four years: 1990, 1998, 2009, and 2014. Two of those years were under CPJ and one of them was only four seasons ago.

Look, if we finish the year like last year, I agree it may be time for CPJ to go. But lets not be stupid and pretend like the last 10 years have somehow made Tech less relevant or less consistently great than we were before. If CPJ's tenure ends after this year, his 3 ACC Championship games, two Orange Bowls, and stretch of success in the ACC will be one of the best stretches since integration. Full stop.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I agree. All those on this board that were born after 2014 when we went to the ACC Championship and won an Orange Bowl just have no experience with winning or appreciation for what winning felt like!

Okay, sarcasm off. Yes, the last four years have not been good enough. Nobody, again, literally NOBODY on this board is arguing that. We all agree on that. Instead, what some folks are saying is that the last 11 years under CPJ has represented one of the most successful periods of Tech football history and are thus willing to give coach a little more time to hopefully turn it back around. Anyone who considers that "settling" either does't understand our history, has forgotten our history, or just looks back on it with unreasonable gold-colored glasses.

Look at the "great" seasons since 1960. In 1966 and 1970 we had 9 wins. That is great! But sandwiched in-between were three straight years with only 4 wins. We also won 9 in 1985. Again, great! But we averaged less than 4 wins the next three years. But, you say, we won the national championship with 11 wins in 1990 and had 8 wins in 1991! Yes, and then the coach left and we again averaged less than 4 wins over the next three years. The only stretch consistently "greater" than the current stretch was 1998-2001 under O'Leary. And O'Leary promptly left Tech for a better job at ND.

Since 1980, we have probably only "mattered" on a national scale in four years: 1990, 1998, 2009, and 2014. Two of those years were under CPJ and one of them was only four seasons ago.

Look, if we finish the year like last year, I agree it may be time for CPJ to go. But lets not be stupid and pretend like the last 10 years have somehow made Tech less relevant or less consistently great than we were before. If CPJ's tenure ends after this year, his 3 ACC Championship games, two Orange Bowls, and stretch of success in the ACC will be one of the best stretches since integration. Full stop.

All good points. Too much red in your avatar though...

/

Let's be honest - it hasn't been 11 successful years. It's been 2 good years (2008, 2016), 2 great years (2009, 2014) and the rest were mediocre to downright awful. During these 11 years, we've had 3 losing seasons and seen our long bowl streak snapped. Hell, even as great as the ending of 2014 was, we still got *****-slapped at home by UNC and Duke. Worst of all, any and all momentum generated in 2014 was completely loss by the debacle of 2015. Same way that 2010 completely killed the momentum of 2009. It's a CPJ pattern at GT - the guy cannot sustain success here.

I do think we need to see how this season plays out but I also think we'll have seen enough of CPJ to make a decision on whether or not he's what is best for the future of our program. Though I also acknowledge that, IMO, CPJ will be here regardless in 2019, due to $$$ situation.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest - it hasn't been 11 successful years. It's been 2 good years (2008, 2016), 2 great years (2009, 2014) and the rest were mediocre to downright awful. During these 11 years, we've had 3 losing seasons and seen our long bowl streak snapped. Hell, even as great as the ending of 2014 was, we still got *****-slapped at home by UNC and Duke. Worst of all, any and all momentum generated in 2014 was completely loss by the debacle of 2015. Same way that 2010 completely killed the momentum of 2009. It's a CPJ pattern at GT - the guy cannot sustain success here.

I do think we need to see how this season plays out but I also think we'll have seen enough of CPJ to make a decision on whether or not he's what is best for the future of our program. Though I also acknowledge that, IMO, CPJ will be here regardless in 2019, due to $$$ situation.
Maybe a couple of huge donors will use his buyout as a tax write off.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

So which historical period of GT football has been better? I missed that in your rebuttal to @GTRX7

The revisionist history that gets thrown around on this board during a down season is downright comical.