Athletic Director's Update

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Facilities probably won't do much for us, but increased staff will as far as recruiting and scouting ("Quality Control Coach"). I assume that the AD is focusing on facilities with the 2020 campaign because it is easier to sell to donors who don't live and breathe football. It might be tough to explain to someone who doesn't have their finger on the pulse of modern CFB to understand why we need to invest in a position who's only job is to talk to highschool kids.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Facilities probably won't do much for us, but increased staff will as far as recruiting and scouting ("Quality Control Coach"). I assume that the AD is focusing on facilities with the 2020 campaign because it is easier to sell to donors who don't live and breathe football. It might be tough to explain to someone who doesn't have their finger on the pulse of modern CFB to understand why we need to invest in a position who's only job is to talk to highschool kids.

I was reading an article earlier today that Alabama’s tutor staff is more than 100. I’m curious how this compares to ours.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I like the letter, but it's a little disingenuous when you see who we've played so far this year. We are on par or have better resources than 3 of the 4 teams we played so far. I'm not sure how we compare to Pitt, but we have MUCH better resources than USF. Not an excuse for this season so far IMO.

Honest question. Does anyone have any concrete info on what Pitt and USF's facilities are and how they compare to ours? It seems like everyone is just assuming ours are better.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
what is “a career in literature”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it is the part of your job in engineering and/or management wherein you create fictional masterpieces otherwise known as project updates and status reports, monthly and quarterly reports to the folks in corporate, variance to forecast explanations, etc. ;)

Back to topic, I like the letter from Todd. Correct tone, recognizes and acknowledges that there is a problem, etc. I don't get mad when things go awry...I get mad when I sense that the powers that be don't see, acknowledge and address with plans the fact that things are awry. I believe he is our last chance to get things in order. What a series of bad hires was made after Rice left.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I submit that our passing tree and the ability to recruit for it are connected more than you think. Why would a talented receiver come to GT to run straight down the field every down, blocking on most of them? Why not go to a school that gives you more opportunities to catch the ball? Our simple scheme may work when we have talent in it just like any other will, but if we can't get the kids in to run it, what good is it? And don't even get me started on the QB side of the equation. If a converted running back is throwing to you at GT, wouldn't you rather go someplace that has a passing QB under center?

I submit QB retention has been a bigger problem than QB recruiting. Based on eligibility, Marshall, Lucas Johnson, Jay Jones, Jayland Ratliff, and Matthew Jordan should all be challenging for the starting spot. That is more than enough talent, and I would have picked Marshall last among that group if you had given me betting odds two years ago.

Your bashing is pretty weak as well. Unless you forgot that we had a legit kicker committed to come here and then flipped to “Alabama” (who’s resources are a TON better) just prior to signing day. We were left with what we have. IF he hadn’t flipped that 1 player COULD have corrected both the kicking game AND the return game.

Was the return game an issue while Butker was here? NOPE!!!

FYI… Kicking in high school vs. kicking in college is two totally different things.

Read the TStan’s letter again…… Hop On or Hop Off. Or as Clemson would say “ALL IN” or get out.

Once was enough. Stop making excuses for missing PATs. There's no excuse for that in P5 football or any level of college ball, actually.

STOP THE EXCUSES.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Tstan is the Man. The right tone at a key time.

He needs to keep the fanbase on board at a time we are all feeling like the wheels have come off the program. I get a sense of desperation trying to convince us things will get better and he is doing the right things to get back to where we were under Rice.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
get back to where we were under Rice.
People have such selective memories about this stuff. Homer Rice was AD from 1980-1997. I hate to tell you guys, but aside from two years we were really bad in football during that time. Basketball...yeah, different story. So the guy made a mariacluois hire in Cremmins and another in Ross. So do you guys just want TStan to hire two coaches?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Beautifully crafted letter. People who don’t have any depth of knowledge about what they’re looking at, or who don’t care to really look, will tend to focus on the most salient feature. In CPJs case, that feature is his offense. The “logic” is whatever is noticeably different must be the problem. The offense we run is not the problem, regardless of what our local sports radio “personalities” have to say—they don’t even watch our games. CPJ’s offense has generally been one of our most productive units of the last 20+ years. I’d put it up against Tenuta’s defense and in the same ball park as Freigen’s offense. Lately, the offense has not been great. The man himself has admitted that repeatedly. But looking at the entire body of work, I don’t see how a rational person can blame his system.

I love our offense. Pj isn't just the offensive coordinator though. Special teams have been horrendous all but two years and the lack of game management as of late.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
People have such selective memories about this stuff. Homer Rice was AD from 1980-1997. I hate to tell you guys, but aside from two years we were really bad in football during that time. Basketball...yeah, different story. So the guy made a mariacluois hire in Cremmins and another in Ross. So do you guys just want TStan to hire two coaches?

GT had good years in

1982 6-5
1984 6-4-1
1985 9-2-1
1989 7-4
1990 11-0-1
1991 8-5
1995 6-5
1997 7-5

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I don’t see it that way. The program was dead. There was talk of dropping football. The facilities were decrepit. Anyone remember the Naval Armory?

Rice came in and raised money. Restored confidence. Deployed a leadership program that is a model across the NCAA.

Rice was a godsend.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Honest question. Does anyone have any concrete info on what Pitt and USF's facilities are and how they compare to ours? It seems like everyone is just assuming ours are better.

Here's the most recent list of total revenue in the NCAA - Link.

Pitt isn't on the list, but I would assume they are in that 80-90 million range with us and a few of the other ACC programs. If I had to guess they are most likely a bit higher than us. USF is down at around 50 million. Meanwhile, Clemson is up around 112.

So the gap between GT and Clemson is about the same as the gap between GT and USF. Of course this is just total revenue, but I think it still gives you a good idea of the resources each program has.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Here's the most recent list of total revenue in the NCAA - Link.

Pitt isn't on the list, but I would assume they are in that 80-90 million range with us and a few of the other ACC programs. If I had to guess they are most likely a bit higher than us. USF is down at around 50 million. Meanwhile, Clemson is up around 112.

So the gap between GT and Clemson is about the same as the gap between GT and USF. Of course this is just total revenue, but I think it still gives you a good idea of the resources each program has.

Yea I know about the revenue discrepancy but I'm not talking about resources I'm talking about current facilities. More revenue doesn't mean much if you don't have anything concrete to show for it. How much of that difference goes toward our interest payments vs actual investment in the program. I'd love to see a straight up comparison between us and those two. And some others honestly. I'm not calling you out to do it or anything but I think it'd be interesting for someone to look at.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
THIS ^^^

When the word resources is used, it’s the human kind that will pay the biggest dividends for GT. Remember, it’s all about “fit” in making great recruiting choices. They have to be committed to both parts of the SA equation. True scholar athletes who are blue chips at both are extremely rare. There’s enough out there across the country, but it will take a small army of analysts to find them.

RiseUpATL

Banned
Serious question here.... but technology makes things awful cheap. I can go look at film of an athlete in CA right now and put together a list of potential candidates. We should be able to leverage technology to get film on kids from across the country and hire a few people whose job is to do just that and present it to the head man to determine the list. Then you connect with that list. Make strategic trips to see them play to minimize travel budget. Do in homes etc. I’m sure we can afford a few plane tickets.

If the coaches are waiting on the money and resources to come to them then they are probably going to wait a while. So how about trying to be creative and finding another way to do it.

Im no recruiter and what I said might be the complete wrong way to do it but it’s gotta be something.

I don’t care for the facilities argument. We have an awesome indoor practice facility and new locker rooms. You know who just got an indoor practice facility and locker rooms just this year? UGA. That’s who. So on the facilities front I think we are doing fine.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea I know about the revenue discrepancy but I'm not talking about resources I'm talking about current facilities. More revenue doesn't mean much if you don't have anything concrete to show for it. How much of that difference goes toward our interest payments vs actual investment in the program. I'd love to see a straight up comparison between us and those two. And some others honestly. I'm not calling you out to do it or anything but I think it'd be interesting for someone to look at.

Yeah I'm not really sure how to compare facilities specifically. I found a few top 25 lists for facilities out there but GT, Pitt, and USF aren't found in any of those.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
here’s enough out there across the country, but it will take a small army of analysts to find them.

When I was in business, we had "affinity" groups ... teams of employees who worked without extra pay to address some problem the company was having.

Among the alumni, Tech has some of the most gifted analysts in the world. I've always been amazed why the AA doesn't organize them and say, "We have 20 issues to address and can't afford to hire a kazillion people. We need 100 analysts to do .... X."

I mean, I teach at the university level. I would tutor SA's for free at Tech.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I'm not really sure how to compare facilities specifically. I found a few top 25 lists for facilities out there but GT, Pitt, and USF aren't found in any of those.

TStan showed this comparison some time ago. We have a mountain of debt and a lot of "legacy" costs (fired coaches) that crimp out ability to use revenue to its fullest. Those costs cycle out in 3-4 years. The main message I took from it was, "Hold on ... it's going to get a lot better:.