Athletic Director's Update

So which historical period of GT football has been better? I missed that in your rebuttal to @GTRX7

The revisionist history that gets thrown around on this board during a down season is downright comical.

not sure. We're headed for a 4th losing season in 11 years though. That's a rate of almost every other season being a losing one. If that's considered "success" then Gailey should get a bronze statue for averaging 7 wins. Let me save you a reply: No, I don't want him back nor was I impressed by his coaching.

The love of Scheme over School by some fans is appalling, as is the bizarre, continued defense of mediocre football and irrelevancy.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
not sure. We're headed for a 4th losing season in 11 years though. That's a rate of almost every other season being a losing one. If that's considered "success" then Gailey should get a bronze statue for averaging 7 wins. Let me save you a reply: No, I don't want him back nor was I impressed by his coaching.

The love of Scheme over School by some fans is appalling, as is the bizarre, continued defense of mediocre football and irrelevancy.

What’s bizarre is this continued argument by some that the CPJ era at GT hasn’t been one of the best eras of GT football in history. Good grief, man, you even complained about 2014 because of the Duke loss. A season where we beat UGAg, won a BCS bowl, and finished top-10! It’s not about scheme, buddy. It’s about recognizing reality. I’ve been a GT fan my whole life. The past 11 years have brought me more happy football moments than the 26 I lived through before them.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
So which historical period of GT football has been better? I missed that in your rebuttal to @GTRX7

The revisionist history that gets thrown around on this board during a down season is downright comical.

Let's start with the 18 consecutive bowls---something few schools can match---and ended by Paul Johnson.

Then let's go with 5 consecutive AP Top 25 finishes by O'Leary--not that long ago.

Then let's talk about out 9-17 ACC record since 2015. Our sub .500 record vs. FBS since the beginning of 2010.

The current situation is more than a "down season." What historical period of GT football has been worse? Maybe the late 70's and early '80's, but if you understand where the program was at that time--and you certainly don't--the reasons that period was worse are much deeper than the support the program has now.

There is no defense for where Johnson has taken the program, and anyone who defends him is either ignorant or not a real Tech fan.

2014, 2014, 2014, 2014. Good lord, I get it. 2014. That plus 2009 = 2 nice seasons.

the amazing buildup to a Natty under Ross that I witnessed as a student is better than anything in the CPJ Era, as the return to relevancy from 1998-2001, complete with a Heisman candidacy.

There have been better eras though CPJ did have 2 good seasons in 11 years. Far too many losing seasons, missed bowls, and embarrassing losses for me to consider it one of the best ears in GT football history though.

Let's start with the 18 consecutive bowls---something few schools can match---and ended by Paul Johnson.

Then let's go with 5 consecutive AP Top 25 finishes by O'Leary--not that long ago.

Then let's talk about out 9-17 ACC record since 2015. Our sub .500 record vs. FBS since the beginning of 2010.

The current situation is more than a "down season." What historical period of GT football has been worse? Maybe the late 70's and early '80's, but if you understand where the program was at that time--and you certainly don't--the reasons that period was worse are much deeper than the support the program has now.

There is no defense for where Johnson has taken the program, and anyone who defends him is either ignorant or not a real Tech fan.

That's why the Ross era was so exciting. You could see him actually building something great, the culmination of which is obvious. Same with O'Leary's great job of rebuilding us and returning us to relevancy after the BL Debacle. Watching JoeHam progress to a Heisman candidate (who got robbed imo)...there's been nothing like that under CPK. Conversely, with CPJ, his 2 great seasons look more like Flashes in the Pan in hindsight, given that he followed 'em up with losing seasons. No sustained excellence, no momentum building, and now no excitement or positivity at all on the GT campus. It's been 4 years since we've had a game that meant anything nationally and, prior to that, it was 5 years going back to 2009 for such a game.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What’s bizarre is this continued argument by some that the CPJ era at GT hasn’t been one of the best eras of GT football in history.

Why is it one of the best eras?

People talk about 3 ACC championship games, two orange bowls, but one of those championship games was a 6-6 year where we only got in because two teams weren't eligible. I'm sorry but 2012 was in no way, shape, or form, a year to brag about and include in justification for being a great era. Of the other accomplishments, they all fall in two years. It's literally just repeating accomplishments to try and make it seem like those great seasons were more frequent. Those two years were 5 years apart and the 4 years in between were mediocre and the 3 and a half years since have been bad. An era isn't just defined by the two or three years you want to remember.

In the 11 years Johnson has been here he is 76-57 (57%) overall and 46-36 (56%) in conference. To compare that to the Gailey era where we were 44-32 (58%) overall and 28-20 (58%) in conference. O'Leary was 52-33 (61%) overall and 36-22 (62%) in conference. So in the Johnson "era" we win less than we did under the previous two coaches. I get people loved 2014 but it was one year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
T Spencer wast the O line coach and recruiter. I work with him when he 1st arrived to get some Texas kids a gt offer. offer . Said he would review the kids but he only sent him a letter . When we talked again he said he didn't have time for out to recruit out of immediate area , too busy coaching, must win ga recruiting, and system was doing well. He did get me some sweet orange bowl .
I think our early success really blinded coach as to the difficulty of attracting talent to gt football.

After 2014 orange bowl does anyone remember anything about seeing need for a major up grade like we are doing now? (May have been going on behind scenes.)

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Last I’ll say about it in this thread (some of you hate CPJ, the option, waking up in the morning, anyway, so arguments won’t matter):

GT football has been nationally relevant about 6 times since the 1950s. Three of those times (2008, 2009, 2014) have been in the CPJ era. I’ll take it. You don’t have to trash all the good to recognize the bad. And if you check my posts, I’m concerned at the moment, too. But the revisionist history is confusing.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Just watching the Tulane-Memphis game last night. What about Willie Fritz? He took Monkens triple option offense and made it into a dangerous run pass option team. I think he could make the transition a lot easier with the players we already have. While at GSU 2014-2015 he gave us and UGA all we wanted. 2016 GSU struggled and still had most of their talent from Fritz’s 2 years.

Only thing is idk how good he would do with recruiting? Which is a major necessity in our next hire imo.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's be honest - it hasn't been 11 successful years. It's been 2 good years (2008, 2016), 2 great years (2009, 2014) and the rest were mediocre to downright awful. During these 11 years, we've had 3 losing seasons and seen our long bowl streak snapped. Hell, even as great as the ending of 2014 was, we still got *****-slapped at home by UNC and Duke. Worst of all, any and all momentum generated in 2014 was completely loss by the debacle of 2015. Same way that 2010 completely killed the momentum of 2009. It's a CPJ pattern at GT - the guy cannot sustain success here.

I do think we need to see how this season plays out but I also think we'll have seen enough of CPJ to make a decision on whether or not he's what is best for the future of our program. Though I also acknowledge that, IMO, CPJ will be here regardless in 2019, due to $$$ situation.
MONEY is not a problem at GT if they want to change coaches . Why does people keep saying this when Chan was let go people said GT could not pay but about one million a year and the same was said about cjp and it was wrong then and it is wrong now.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well yeah, some people are idiots. But that’s what happens in this day and age. It sucks, but the internet allows people to hide behind their device and announce whatever they want to the world. Complaining about it is just a wasted effort. Best thing to do is not read the stuff.

You guys think someone walks up to Taquon and says some of this BS to his face? I doubt it...and it might not turn out to well for them if they did.
Well, he might throw a punch but it would be wild high. Because the problems we are having all begin with the QB. Fix that and the rest can be ratcheted into line. But bad reads,, bad decisions, bad pitches, bad passes ... just add up to 1-3. My question is this: if freshmen can play in four games this season and still have four years of eligibility, will we see Graham at all? And I am not endorsing him because I know nothing about him. Except he might can some QB.

Last I’ll say about it in this thread (some of you hate CPJ, the option, waking up in the morning, anyway, so arguments won’t matter):

GT football has been nationally relevant about 6 times since the 1950s. Three of those times (2008, 2009, 2014) have been in the CPJ era. I’ll take it. You don’t have to trash all the good to recognize the bad. And if you check my posts, I’m concerned at the moment, too. But the revisionist history is confusing.

2008? Then 1989, 1998-2001 surely have to be there, along with CCG's lone ACCCG appearance. And hell, 2016.

2008 was a ton of fun, esp. at Athens but to call that a nationally-relevant year is the very definition of revisionist history, esp. given how badly the doors were blown off the CPJ offense by LSU in the Peach Bowl.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
MONEY is not a problem at GT if they want to change coaches . Why does people keep saying this when Chan was let go people said GT could not pay but about one million a year and the same was said about cjp and it was wrong then and it is wrong now.
Money is not a problem as compared to what? Georgia? Clemson? Alabama? Miami? VT? Somehow I don't see Tech ever paying $6-$7 million for a coach, and if they did they still would need every other thing in place ... including liberal arts. I read into the AD's letter that Johnson can punch above his weight but the distance between them is increasing every year. As with everything else, money is the answer.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a nice well written letter and I'm sure heartfelt but let's be real here. Facilities are not the primary reason we can't competently complete a forward pass. Scheme and coaching have way more to do with it. Facilities are not the reason we are faking punts from our own 20 yard line in the first quarter. I could go on and on with this. We are not a very well coached team right now and Johnson has admitted as much.

Look I'm glad we have Stansbury as the AD instead of Mr. Invisible Bobinski and whether I agree with everything he's done so far or not I think he truly cares about GA Tech and I would rather have him picking our next coach vs Bobinski for sure. But there are bigger problems here than facilities etc... Yes those are issues but there are bigger issues right now on the field/sidelines that need to be addressed and most every Tech fan knows it.
Right on target. He can talk about money, facilities, fan support, all that may contribute somewhat, but start with the elephant in the room :paul Johnson and his offense! To me this is why HS players will not commit to Tech.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What’s bizarre is this continued argument by some that the CPJ era at GT hasn’t been one of the best eras of GT football in history. Good grief, man, you even complained about 2014 because of the Duke loss. A season where we beat UGAg, won a BCS bowl, and finished top-10! It’s not about scheme, buddy. It’s about recognizing reality. I’ve been a GT fan my whole life. The past 11 years have brought me more happy football moments than the 26 I lived through before them.

More than 90’
98’ 99’ 00’

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
esp. given how badly the doors were blown off the CPJ offense by LSU in the Peach Bowl.

This is where you guys give yourselves away. GT got its doors blown off that night, not CPJ’s offense.

And 2008 was nationally relevant due to finishing with a huge win over UGAg and kicking off a new era. Whether you add 2016 or take away 2008, my argument is still sound.

This is where you guys give yourselves away. GT got its doors blown off that night, not CPJ’s offense.

And 2008 was nationally relevant due to finishing with a huge win over UGAg and kicking off a new era. Whether you add 2016 or take away 2008, my argument is still sound.

CPJ's offense got *****-slapped by LSU that night.

if 2008 was relevant, so was 1989, which finished with a huge win over the mutts and kicked off a run to a natty, as we won 7 of our last 8.