At WF, 3/5/2024 1st of Last Two Regular Season Games

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ha ha. I trolled Deacs boards a little. Fans in combustion mode over refs. Complaining they gave Tech the game. Not one post mentioned Wake shooting 20 free throws and Tech shooting TWO!!!
Yes ✌️!!!!!!! Yep, refs screwed you by sending the ACC’s leading free throw team to the line for 20 FREE shots. We got TWO!! Those two from Gapare were both needed.
One thing EVERY team’s board agrees on -
Ted Valentine is awful.

Facts. Big facts. That smelled like the league trying to give a bubble-bound North Caro-whine-a team a win.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Our guys were periodically getting hammered by “incidental contact” too. I saw guys shoved out of their dribble routes and guys on defense knocked backwards. I know our players are generally lighter but there was some serious court bullying going on at times. I’m ok with this not being called but it means you also allow some occasional traveling to occur due to guys getting knocked around.
Agree with you NS. Been thinking the same thing, but not even incidental.
After the FlSt & Wake games I thought I had missed a new
NCAA BB “Yellowjacket” exception to the foul rules: Any physical contact by a GT player on an opposing player is a foul, whether they have possession of the ball or not. Any player on the floor not wearing a GT uniform may push or body block & grab jerseys of anyone wearing a GT uniform.

I don’t like complaining about refs. Usually the bad calls swing both ways and even out. Games are won or lost by the players and occasional bad calls very late in a tight game have a way of highlighting bad referring and giving losers and their fans an excuse. But there was a lot of rough contact against GT that looked like obvious fouls that were never called in the last two. We’ve become a better FT shooting team as the season progressed and getting to the foul line early and often can make a difference between a W & an L.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
CDS remarked earlier in the season that the team needed to learn how to play as winners and that winning gets to be fun.

1709736864182.jpeg

Last edited:

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Refs won't call it, but I personally think Ndongo got fouled on his game winner. That is consistently called a foul throughout the game. Wake's big man brought his arms down as Baye shot the ball. Plenty of contact for sure. Overall, I didn't think the reffing was good or bad...just the way every game is...some calls go your way and some don't.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah you can't allow guys to be dislodged ..... then call a travel. Can't be both. And I'm sure that's what set CDS off, particularly on yet another play where Baye got clobbered by their big. I get he's a physical opponent but 2-hand shoves are fouls. That's not "letting em play" especially when you call incidental touch fouls on the other end. The free throw disparity speaks loudly.

And how in the actual F*CK did Reeves not get shots on the play where he was fouled with .7 on the shot clock? It was obviously a shot attempt. He was obviously in the act of shooting. It's like they heard the crowd complain so they decided to call it on the floor to appease them. Ridiculous!

You can be so ferocious sometimes.

season 5 000 patties under the sea GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our guys were periodically getting hammered by “incidental contact” too. I saw guys shoved out of their dribble routes and guys on defense knocked backwards. I know our players are generally lighter but there was some serious court bullying going on at times. I’m ok with this not being called but it means you also allow some occasional traveling to occur due to guys getting knocked around.
How about palming the ball? Some of these moves are blatant palming. If the hand goes over half way too the bottom of the ball it is being carried. The kids learned this on playgrounds and it was never called so now it has become accepted. It often allows a couple of steps between bounces. The refs are very liberal with allowing the pivot foot to drag or actually change to the other foot. The game is called very different today than when I played many years ago in HS. IMO fouls should only be called when one player gains an advantage over the other due to contact.
Why isn't Burns called for a charge when he literally is pushing/bumping his defender back a couple of feet with his body and then they call touch fouls.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Refs won't call it, but I personally think Ndongo got fouled on his game winner. That is consistently called a foul throughout the game. Wake's big man brought his arms down as Baye shot the ball. Plenty of contact for sure. Overall, I didn't think the reffing was good or bad...just the way every game is...some calls go your way and some don't.
Thought the same, should have been +1

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Facts. Big facts. That smelled like the league trying to give a bubble-bound North Caro-whine-a team a win.
TV Teddy always plays to the home crowd when he calls a game. He can be very animated at times. Not sure if he called the game last night. I only watched the last 3 minutes.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
TV Teddy always plays to the home crowd when he calls a game. He can be very animated at times. Not sure if he called the game last night. I only watched the last 3 minutes.

I think he was out there. And FT's were 20-2. But Wake's crying all over twitter about officials. Go figure. lol

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ndongo's 3 pt shot shows a promising option for CDS. A big stepping out for a 3 is a huge weapon. Clemson's 2 bigs did it to us. With the addition of a big, Ndomgo could play 3-4 position.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We have become a solid 3 point defensive team in Conference play, 6th best in Conference games. We have also become a solid rebounding team in Conference games, also 6th best in the Conference. Our biggest liability is turnovers as we are the worst in the Conference by over 1 per game more than the 14th place team.

There clearly has been a lot of growth by individual players across the board. Gapare is a vastly improved player. George and Ndongo are likely 1st All Freshmen in Conference and Kelly has raised his Conference game 3 pointing percent to 39.4% which is very good. Everyone seems to know their roles now and play to those roles.

Really happy for the guys to see their hard work result in some wins. And we play almost all our games down to one or two possessione either way. High stress for us as GT fans. WE are 12-9 in games decided by single digest.