Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
While I agree with you, at the end of the day does it really matter what term is used? A rose by any other name is still a rose etc. It is going to boil down at the end of the day to results at some point in the future so I really don't fret on the semantics of it all.
I’m guessing that what is being responded to is the defensive tone of “rebuilding.” The project to take Tech in an entirely different direction will take a few years, no doubt. But those who might be concerned that fans will not be patient enough for the time this will take seem to double down on “how bad” the situation was prior. It reminds me of that old joke: “The food at the restaurant was really subpar.” To which someone responds, “And the portions were so small.”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe you just have a different definition of what best case means. Beating a marginal team, like a Virginia who went 4-5 last year hardly seems like a stretch to have to put in best case. That’s the only thing I can figure out, that people have wildly different definitions of best case. To me, only beating the teams that played 500 ball or worse last year and finishing with 6 wins seems like only a starting point for best case.

maybe I am also guilty of over assigning too much expertise to that writer. I just assumed that since it was published on 247, and a bunch of other wider platforms like Yahoo sports, and it was tagged as an “expert analysis”, that he was a legitimate sports guy. Maybe that assumption is incorrect.
Re Virginia, the fact that they were 4-5 last year is why I made them a toss up in my best case scenario. So, to answer your implied question, here is what my "Best Case" means. Best case is, looking from this time out in the future, where we should be favored to win five games, picked to lose three games, and even up in four. Later in my post I said that if we split those for games our best case is 7-5. Is it possible we could win all four? Of course. The would certainly be a better outcome, but I do not think we will all four of those games. Even in our best case.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m guessing that what is being responded to is the defensive tone of “rebuilding.” The project to take Tech in an entirely different direction will take a few years, no doubt. But those who might be concerned that fans will not be patient enough for the time this will take seem to double down on “how bad” the situation was prior. It reminds me of that old joke: “The food at the restaurant was really subpar.” To which someone responds, “And the portions were so small.”
Or, this old one. The good news is we have the starters back on offense and defense this year. The bad news is we were winless last year.

So just curious, in the comment totally different direction. That implies that we believe the current staff will be able to out achieve what the last staff accomplished. And to be clear the last staff out achieved the staff before it. Let's say CGC wins 4 this year and maybe 5 the next. Then he is fired. If Tech then decides to bring in a CPJ devotee that runs a similar but not exact program that CPJ did and wins 9 then 11. What would you say then? Of course the first thing would be....well he won with Colin's players. That implies the CGC staff can't coach. lol

Deleted member 2897

I'm not worked up. But 5 wins as a best case scenario is ****ing bull****, and everyone should be in agreement on that.

Here is our schedule, picking out key games:
Northern Illinois
Kennesaw State

Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh

Why did I pick these teams?
NI went 0-6 last year. KSU is FCS.
None of those ACC opponents broke 0.500 last year.

So I'll just stop here. Thats already 6 wins. If you're talking about a best case scenario, and you don't start here, you're a ****ing idiot.

BTW, and just to be super clear, my comment at the end ("If you're talking about a best case scenario, and you don't start here, you're a ****ing idiot") was directed towards sports writers and analysts and not anybody on this site. I don't care if you disagree with me on this site (if you disagree with me, you are probably correct anyway LOL), but I wouldn't talk like that to you. Just wanted to be super clear. I reserve my super turbo charged butthurt language like that for sports analysts, writers, and refs. :ROFLMAO:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I finished my task list early today and spent a few minutes looking at our 2021 schedule and made best/worst/likely cases for each game. First, you have to understand that I want us to win them all, so don't jump on me for not being a loyal fan. So, here goes my prediction for the season.

The Best Case I see is five wins, four that could go either way (UNC@MBS, @UVA, VT, @Miami), and three almost certain losses (@Clemson, @ND, uga).
The Worst Case is two wins to open the season, a toss up game @Duke, and nine losses. This would be ugly at times.
The Likely Case from my view is four wins, a couple of toss ups at home (Pitt and VT), and six losses.

If I am correct, the writers estimate might be pretty close. The likelihood of us beating UNC early in the season is pretty low. We have played some really ugly games in Charlottesville, so that is not a likely win, and Miami will have discovered a QB by November. Clemson, ND and uga are not going to be fun games this year.

My best case could be 7-5 if we split the toss up games and hold service elsewhere. That would get us into a lowish bowl game and create real optimism about 2022. That said, it would foolish to call your bookie with my best case scenario as a betting plan.
I believe uM gets that transfer QB back for this yr.He was hurt but I think he decided to return. Not good for us.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So just curious, in the comment totally different direction. That implies that we believe the current staff will be able to out achieve what the last staff accomplished. And to be clear the last staff out achieved the staff before it. Let's say CGC wins 4 this year and maybe 5 the next. Then he is fired. If Tech then decides to bring in a CPJ devotee that runs a similar but not exact program that CPJ did and wins 9 then 11. What would you say then? Of course the first thing would be....well he won with Colin's players. That implies the CGC staff can't coach. lol
Well, I get your point but did Johnson really out perform Gailey? It depends on what criteria you use. Did we beat UGA a few times? Check. Did we win the ACC and win an Orange Bowl? Check. Did we build a sustainable program? Nope. Did we get players into the NFL? Nope (very few). Did our stock rise on the national scene? Nope (actually the opposite). Were 4 star GA high school players considering GT? Nope.

Did both coaches leave with a sour taste in GT fans mouth? Yes. Gailey tied himself to Nix and thus lost support. Johnson tied himself to a dying system he refused to modernize and tied himself to QB’s that weren’t prepared for the P5 level.

Bottom line is both had highs and both left during lows. I’ll never forget whipping Auburn twice in a row and walking out of Jordan Haire singing the fight song. I’ll never forget the Calvin years and having defenses that were men. I’ll never forget the kick and pick or the Searcy Leap or Mills trucking Kentucky and picking up 4 yards a play anytime we wanted against Miss St.

I thank Gailey for recruiting Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett, Dwyer, Bebe, and Nesbitt. I thank Johnson for using those guys in his system to perfection. I thank Johnson for giving a small Bama DB a shot to play QB. I now thank Collins for reviving the GT brand in this state and for getting more 4 stars than GT has ever seen. I thank him for bringing in our most exciting player since Calvin and recruiting the big uglies as hard as the running backs. I thank him for making signing week something to look forward to and not for waiting to see who flips from us. I thank him for getting Simpkins early commital. But most importantly I thank Collins for being the type of person willing to try something/anything to get GT on the map. No longer do we have a coach who believes it’s his way or the highway. Gailey and Johnson were both too darn stubborn and experienced to see any other way. It’s the human condition. Collins doesn’t have that “system” or “this is how I’ve done it for decades” thinking. This is his shot, not his fall back option or pre-retirement job. I say to hI’m - you do you and make your own future. And that’s what he’s doing so far. If we struggle on offense I believe he’ll have no problem making a change because I don’t see him letting others dictate his shot to be great.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the E-mail I got from Tech wanting me to upgrade my seats ( Which I'm fine where I'm at ) and looking at the open seats I would get our season ticket sales are way down. And the people around me the last 15 years did not renew their tickets . Hope thats not the case but less than 6 wins this year could be very bad for tickets sales.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the E-mail I got from Tech wanting me to upgrade my seats ( Which I'm fine where I'm at ) and looking at the open seats I would get our season ticket sales are way down. And the people around me the last 15 years did not renew their tickets . Hope thats not the case but less than 6 wins this year could be very bad for tickets sales.
I think after the last two years of poor head coaching and terrible on field results, the fans are going to want to see some real results. The games were not even close the vast majority of the time the last two years. very little reason to sit through such an embarrassing coaching performance and watch such a poor product on the field. We are not nearly as low on talent as the results we have had. The recruiter who thinks he is a head coach has crushed all hope for a while for a large swath of the fanbase, greatly reducing season ticket holders and the $ that generates. 4-6 wins is not going to change the trajectory either. Expect even less season tickets to be purchased in season 4 of the recruiter experiment.

The silent majority are voting by doing something else on Saturdays.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
From what I've read, you need to let it go. People aren't ****ting on CPJ anymore. At this point, it's no longer about the TO. No reason to raise that flag anymore.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I get your point but did Johnson really out perform Gailey? It depends on what criteria you use. Did we beat UGA a few times? Check. Did we win the ACC and win an Orange Bowl? Check. Did we build a sustainable program? Nope. Did we get players into the NFL? Nope (very few). Did our stock rise on the national scene? Nope (actually the opposite). Were 4 star GA high school players considering GT? Nope.

Did both coaches leave with a sour taste in GT fans mouth? Yes. Gailey tied himself to Nix and thus lost support. Johnson tied himself to a dying system he refused to modernize and tied himself to QB’s that weren’t prepared for the P5 level.

Bottom line is both had highs and both left during lows. I’ll never forget whipping Auburn twice in a row and walking out of Jordan Haire singing the fight song. I’ll never forget the Calvin years and having defenses that were men. I’ll never forget the kick and pick or the Searcy Leap or Mills trucking Kentucky and picking up 4 yards a play anytime we wanted against Miss St.

I thank Gailey for recruiting Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett, Dwyer, Bebe, and Nesbitt. I thank Johnson for using those guys in his system to perfection. I thank Johnson for giving a small Bama DB a shot to play QB. I now thank Collins for reviving the GT brand in this state and for getting more 4 stars than GT has ever seen. I thank him for bringing in our most exciting player since Calvin and recruiting the big uglies as hard as the running backs. I thank him for making signing week something to look forward to and not for waiting to see who flips from us. I thank him for getting Simpkins early commital. But most importantly I thank Collins for being the type of person willing to try something/anything to get GT on the map. No longer do we have a coach who believes it’s his way or the highway. Gailey and Johnson were both too darn stubborn and experienced to see any other way. It’s the human condition. Collins doesn’t have that “system” or “this is how I’ve done it for decades” thinking. This is his shot, not his fall back option or pre-retirement job. I say to hI’m - you do you and make your own future. And that’s what he’s doing so far. If we struggle on offense I believe he’ll have no problem making a change because I don’t see him letting others dictate his shot to be great.
We didn't have a "Bama DB playing QB.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To put it another way, CGC supporters are working the refs. I’m content to watch things play out. I don’t care what system is used so long as it leads to wins. But, to reiterate my earlier point, some are so in love with changing the system, that “slow progress” makes them nervous and they are arguing extenuating circumstances to stall for time. I’m willing to give them that time. I just find the lobbying tiresome.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think after the last two years of poor head coaching and terrible on field results, the fans are going to want to see some real results. The games were not even close the vast majority of the time the last two years. very little reason to sit through such an embarrassing coaching performance and watch such a poor product on the field. We are not nearly as low on talent as the results we have had. The recruiter who thinks he is a head coach has crushed all hope for a while for a large swath of the fanbase, greatly reducing season ticket holders and the $ that generates. 4-6 wins is not going to change the trajectory either. Expect even less season tickets to be purchased in season 4 of the recruiter experiment.

No rules against negativity, though "the recruiter who thinks he is a head coach" borders on trolling, imo. I'm ok with chalking it up to a vent.

Is your last sentence meant to be taken literally? I'm interpreting it to mean that you are on record that attendance will be < 25k.

Deleted member 2897

I'm going to call out this part.

Last year we had 3 wins - Florida State, Louisville, and Duke. 2 of those were blowouts.

UCF: Loss. With 12 minutes left in the game, the score was UCF 28, GT 21.

Syracuse: Loss. First Downs: 23 to 14 GT. Offensive Yardage 453 to 357 GT. 5 turnovers. With 8 minutes left in the game we were down 10 and driving in Syracuse territory before throwing a pick six.

NC State: Loss. With 4 minutes left in the game, the score was NC State 20, GT 13. We had first and goal in the 4th quarter and couldn't get a touchdown.

Pittsburgh: Loss. With 3 minutes left in the game, the score was Pitt 26, GT 20.

That's 7 games last year out of 10 where it was close. I'd say the facts state the opposite - the games were close the vast majority of the time.

I'm going to call out this part.

Last year we had 3 wins - Florida State, Louisville, and Duke. 2 of those were blowouts.

UCF: Loss. With 12 minutes left in the game, the score was UCF 28, GT 21.

Syracuse: Loss. First Downs: 23 to 14 GT. Offensive Yardage 453 to 357 GT. 5 turnovers. With 8 minutes left in the game we were down 10 and driving in Syracuse territory before throwing a pick six.

NC State: Loss. With 4 minutes left in the game, the score was NC State 20, GT 13. We had first and goal in the 4th quarter and couldn't get a touchdown.

Pittsburgh: Loss. With 3 minutes left in the game, the score was Pitt 26, GT 20.

That's 7 games last year out of 10 where it was close. I'd say the facts state the opposite - the games were close the vast majority of the time.
Ok, but 3 wins is 3 wins. If you go back to 2015 that many here do....We only lost big in one game. Clemson 43-24. Not 73-7. This team in 2020 did not play nearly as well as 2015, both 3 win seasons.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I believe uM gets that transfer QB back for this yr.He was hurt but I think he decided to return. Not good for us.
I did read some early reports that he was trying to get ready for summer camp. Not sure if he would be getting in live reps there or not. Him or someone else will probably have it figured out by Nov.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I am cautiously optimistic about this season. I think people underestimate the impact not having a true offseason had on our team. We started a freshman qb, tackle and rb. We also started a new center and a transfer guard. That is a lot of new pieces in offense, many with no college experience. They missed hundreds of reps that you would normally have to gain some cohesion and work through mistakes. I highly doubt Sims would have thrown as many interceptions had he had the offseason reps to make those mistakes. That experience, along with a full offseason and quality transfers is why I think we can outperform expectations. Also, having a proven kicker should lower the number of empty drives we had last year. We still need to prove it on the field but I think we are set up to surprise some people if we can play the way we are capable of playing.