Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@RonJohn , we got some light reading for you to do ...

It isn't long. With respect to Gatto, it basically has the same questions that I have -- "Who exactly was defrauded?". I still haven't read the coaches' indictments, but it asks what official duties they violated by suggesting to players to use a financial advisor.

From the article: 'Gabe Feldman, a sports law professor at Tulane University Law School, said it was fair to question whether prosecutors were overreaching in trying “to turn what might be an NCAA violation into a criminal violation.”'

Which is exactly what I have been questioning.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Remember the Atlanta-based "suit-maker" at the center of Chuck Person's, let's call them, legal troubles?

Well, I bet Dominique Wilkins remembers him. It's the same scumbag who accosted Wilkins after a Hawks game years ago resulting in the guy taking a couple loooong-armed punches to the face.

TMZ is always on the case.

Deleted member 2897

Another article in the same paper that attempts to link Little to the investigation:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article175765261.html

I hope Duke and UNC (if they weren't doing anything illegal in the first place) are stupid enough to stop recruiting Nas. And I hope if the current scandal gets Nas to stop pursuing named schools like Arizona and Miami, I hope he remembers that North Carolina is up to their eyeballs in scandals already. And I hope he notices that Coack K looks like an angry rat. Not sure what that's worth, but maybe the power of suggestion will make him realize he won't want to be around a rat all day long.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A wire story today re agents, coaches & money. And as one might guess, football is involved. Louisville might not be alone. It is going to get very, very ugly.

Blazer did not reply to a phone call Wednesday, and his attorney declined to comment. Two weeks ago, according to a witness cooperation agreement, Blazer pleaded guilty to charges including wire fraud, securities fraud and identity theft. In exchange for his cooperation, prosecutors agreed not to pursue other charges against Blazer, whose roster of former athlete clients includes former Cleveland Browns wide receiver Greg Little and former NFL running back Anthony Allen.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They do understand that any statement made by 1Family representatives will be met with wild skepticism, right?

The scenario they are claiming to have happened is the reason why I was asking people to pump the brakes the other night though.

I did use his name. It does appear that the player referenced in the indictment is him. Those are facts. The indictment doesn't list payments to that player, and don't reference any direct contact with that player. They do mention that third parties had discussions about payments to that player. My post stated that the indictments referenced Miami in relation to him, which is a fact. I did not say that he or his family had done anything. That is not supported by the accusations in the indictment.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I did use his name. It does appear that the player referenced in the indictment is him. Those are facts. The indictment doesn't list payments to that player, and don't reference any direct contact with that player. They do mention that third parties had discussions about payments to that player. My post stated that the indictments referenced Miami in relation to him, which is a fact. I did not say that he or his family had done anything. That is not supported by the accusations in the indictment.

I wasn’t referencing you directly. The bigger point to my post is that 1Family and it’s sponsor aredirectly implicated in this scandal so them coming to the defense of Nas does very little in the court of public opinion. It would have been best to leave it be IMHO.

In addition I also read that Brad Augustine is involved (sponsor for 1Family)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...ege-basketball-bribery-scandal-arrests-2017-9
I have heard it suggested that the NBA could lower the age that high school players could participate in the developmental league down to 15 or 16. That way kids that have no intention of going to college could get paid and get coached. Something like the baseball farm system model. That way the recruiting for college players would be de-emphasized. The problem is if you skim off a percentage of the premier players from the college ranks, what happens to the $1 billion investment in March Madness? Would college basketball become like college baseball?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t referencing you directly. The bigger point to my post is that 1Family and it’s sponsor aredirectly implicated in this scandal so them coming to the defense of Nas does very little in the court of public opinion. It would have been best to leave it be IMHO.
I read that statement a little less skeptically than you do. You are right that 1Family has no credibility. But, at least for that statement, they do not at all reference management or coaches. They only mention players. If they had in any way added in self-defense of management or coaches then it would have made the statement completely worthless. There is some value in this statement, but certainly it doesn't end speculation or questioning.