Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a magic solution to all of college hoops' problems, but man I miss the old days when guys stayed four years, cheating was much less prevalent (or we thought it was) and we played a round robin in the conference. That also happens to be when CBC was here and so were Price, Salley, Ferrell, Hammonds, Dalrymple ..... Miss those days

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not disagreeing with you, but this also means we must've paid big bucks for Bosh, Jack, Favors, Marbury, Kenny, Dennis......

Not quite. You can't even compare recruiting 10 years ago to today, much less 20-30 years ago,
The difference in recruiting is dramatic over the last 10 years as the sneaker companies basically took over AAU basketball.

GT_EE78

Banned
Not quite. You can't even compare recruiting 10 years ago to today, much less 20-30 years ago,
The difference in recruiting is dramatic over the last 10 years as the sneaker companies basically took over AAU basketball.
I don't know what year but the one and done rule may be a factor too. maybe AAU should be abolished ?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what year but the one and done rule may be a factor too. maybe AAU should be abolished ?

Just to make you happy :) the NCAA went about as far as they could to abolishing AAU. There are now only 2 weekends where D1 coaches can go watch AAU events - down from 5 last year. Not sure it is all good but the NCAA is trying to force D1 coaches back to HS events plus bringing in the NBA to run events for top guys. It is a new world

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just to make you happy :) the NCAA went about as far as they could to abolishing AAU. There are now only 2 weekends where D1 coaches can go watch AAU events - down from 5 last year. Not sure it is all good but the NCAA is trying to force D1 coaches back to HS events plus bringing in the NBA to run events for top guys. It is a new world

Those HS events that more & more states are not willing to run?

At least we can proudly say Bud Petersen had a hand in making the new rules.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Those HS events that more & more states are not willing to run?

At least we can proudly say Bud Petersen had a hand in making the new rules.

Nah - not those events. Its the events local colleges put on for team camp tournaments. Carved out a new week for access to HS talent but only at team events. Then carved out a week for the NBAPA to run a camp for the top 100 or so.

In reality I wonder if kids are going to get overlooked unless they are on top AAU teams or already have a rep.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nah - not those events. Its the events local colleges put on for team camp tournaments. Carved out a new week for access to HS talent but only at team events. Then carved out a week for the NBAPA to run a camp for the top 100 or so.

In reality I wonder if kids are going to get overlooked unless they are on top AAU teams or already have a rep.

They're gonna get overlooked. A lot of them.

Thanks Prez Bud.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have said for years the best way into the Ivy League is through the athletic door. For most of those schools about 10% of the students are admitted as athletes and the coach has pretty wide academic leeway compared to the general student body. So I guess I shouldn’t be surprised someone is trying to monetize it