Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pretty sure that Bowen wasn't projected to be one and done.

Yeah, plenty of dudes like him are more sizzle than steak so they get unwarranted attention from the shady guys. But when it comes to perform they sometimes don't measure up. Thus, a guy who many thought would be a 1/done ends up hanging around. I remember that one guy, DeAndre Daniels was supposed to be all great but never really panned out. Those guys are a dime a dozen but, at the HS level, all-world.

Also, interesting tidbit on Tricky and his career prospects ...

Just retire Tricky ... maybe to somewhere with no extradition? Ok, that was too far.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If the one & dones are the only ones getting paid (is that a safe assumption?) then it certainly narrows the scope of the investigation. At least in the near term. I am not sure a 17 y/o football player can be forecast into the NFL with same accuracy as a 17 y/o basketball player can be forecast into the NBA draft's first round. There has to be a payoff risk/return ratio that makes sense at the end of every deal.

Like with the Panther from College Park?

Whatever anybody thinks about bad actors, paying athletes, cutting corners, etc. – if there are coaches who are committing felonies like tax evasion, they should absolutely go to prison.

On a sidenote, I am posting this via voice to text on my phone, and when I first dictated it, the words came out as tax of Asian. Is my iPhone racist?
As I read all the links citing all the cash transactions among all the players, tax evasion was my first thought. Giving this guy $20k, this mom $5,000 per month, this asst coach $100,000 how the hell is that accounted for on the businesses' books, and how is it listed on all the individual tax returns? Seems like a simple matter to enforce the tax laws.

Yeah, plenty of dudes like him are more sizzle than steak so they get unwarranted attention from the shady guys. But when it comes to perform they sometimes don't measure up. Thus, a guy who many thought would be a 1/done ends up hanging around. I remember that one guy, DeAndre Daniels was supposed to be all great but never really panned out. Those guys are a dime a dozen but, at the HS level, all-world.

Just retire Tricky ... maybe to somewhere with no extradition? Ok, that was too far.

It seemed from the articles that the "shady guys" are not dealing real talent. In all the cases they were betting the "come", dealing influence and access to kids that may or may not be certain NBA selections.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As I read all the links citing all the cash transactions among all the players, tax evasion was my first thought. Giving this guy $20k, this mom $5,000 per month, this asst coach $100,000 how the hell is that accounted for on the businesses' books, and how is it listed on all the individual tax returns? Seems like a simple matter to enforce the tax laws.
Yep! Happened back in the 30's when Elliot Ness was around. The only way they could pin something on the crooks.

northgajacket

Banned

Pitino might want to stockpile on cigarettes.

northgajacket

Banned

I figured the NBA soured on him after his laughable Boston stint.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So how does all of this wink wink nudge nudge stuff play out in real life and wouldn't that suggest that just about every coach at a meaningful program has been propositioned at some point or another and that none of them has ever chosen to be a whistle blower?

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Couple of funny posts from wake's board
#395wvudeac
user-offline.png
Ricky Peral
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_green.gif
reputation_greenh.gif
reputation_greenh.gif
reputation_greenh.gif
reputation_greenh.gif

my understanding of the NCAA makes it clear that this isn’t a big issue since the bribes were also available to non-athletes

Hate to spread rumors, but the word here in Atlanta is that Russell Athletic may have been involved in a "pay for play" scheme which directed 2-star recruits to "ACC School-16" by providing them w/ Chick-Fil-A coupons and MARTA Breeze cards.

Sent from my iPad

Last edited: