Arkansas

LibertyTurns

Banned
Do I rush home from work to watch this & go in early the next day to finish up my stuff

Or

Finish work & join the game sometime before halftime hopefully?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Personally, I think we will give a strong effort tomorrow night. We did not play a good game against UGA, but those areas we performed poorly in (effort & 50/50 balls for most of the game, free throw shooting, etc.) can be easily cleaned up.

Getting Jose back would be a huge boost, but it’s time for someone else to step offensively. I’m thinking we will see an outburst from either Bubba, Asanti. It’s going to take one of those two or Khalid playing good game in order for us to win.

If they do so, I think we pick up a big early season win. Hopefully the crowd will give a big boost as well. Lots of people will be off of work or school for the holidays, and this is a big non-conference game for both teams. It’s time for the ThrillerDome to come alive!!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think we will give a strong effort tomorrow night. We did not play a good game against UGA, but those areas we performed poorly in (effort & 50/50 balls for most of the game, free throw shooting, etc.) can be easily cleaned up.

Getting Jose back would be a huge boost, but it’s time for someone else to step offensively. I’m thinking we will see an outburst from either Bubba, Asanti. It’s going to take one of those two or Khalid playing good game in order for us to win.

If they do so, I think we pick up a big early season win. Hopefully the crowd will give a big boost as well. Lots of people will be off of work or school for the holidays, and this is a big non-conference game for both teams. It’s time for the ThrillerDome to come alive!!

Jose & Banks have to give us substantially more than the other night.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Do I rush home from work to watch this & go in early the next day to finish up my stuff

Or

Finish work & join the game sometime before halftime hopefully?
Go to the game man!!!! If I lived around ATL (currently a 5 hour drive) I’d go to everything I can. Me and my oldest daughter made it up for the VT game and of course I dressed her in while and gold.

I certainly would go. Much better watching it it person.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Any word on Jose yet?
I haven't seen Ark play in a while. Do they still play pressing/uptempo or a different scheme?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Just bought tix from Tech and going with my son and brother (shout out to a gtswarm mate for the tix offer). I expect a better game than what we got in Athens. I really want to go just to see Devoe shoot in person, he reminds me of a certain 3D when I was in school. Also loved the article on the game in today's hometown paper (hint: there wasn't one).

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Isaiah Joe is a sniper...keep him under wraps and we should have a good chance to win. I think Joe can make the jump to the NBA this year as a sophomore.

Mason Jones is the other Razorback to pay a close eye on as he could give us some problems tonight.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
From the stat sheet looks like Joe is the 3 pt sniper as you say with a 40% rate from 3 while Jones is the slasher with a bad 3 pt shhoting % but over 5 FTs per game.

Overall looks like they like to play small so I expect we go zone with Moses and hope we can find ways to pound the ball inside and make them pay

gohogs14

Georgia Tech Fan
Any word on Jose yet?
I haven't seen Ark play in a while. Do they still play pressing/uptempo or a different scheme?

Mike Anderson was let go and ended up at St. Johns so we hired Eric Musselman from Nevada in the offseason. We still play fairly fast but there isn't as much pressing and trapping like there was under Anderson.

We haven't played a very tough schedule but so far our defense has been terrific, we're #1 in the NCAA in 3 point defense and the most points we've given up is 55. We're a streaky shooting team (either red hot or ice cold) and don't have much size (our starting center is 6'6 but despite that he's been really good so far, granted against mid majors) so we will likely get outrebounded a lot. Isaiah Joe, Mason Jones and Jimmy Whitt (transfer from SMU) are probably one of the better guard collections in the SEC, though Jones has played the 4 this season at 6'5 since Musselman prefers the positionless basketball philosophy instead of the traditional lineup. He is the brother of former Duke player Matt Jones. Because of our size we don't post up much but Jones has been able to use his quickness to score against bigger guys guarding him. He's the type of guy that will score 30+ one game and then 4 the next though.

The key to beating us is probably getting our bigs in foul trouble since we don't have much depth there. We have a 7'3 center transfer from Cal but he is sitting out this year. We only really play about 8 players so we don't stretch out the bench as much as we did under Anderson either. Excited to see how we handle our first road test against another P5 team.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
From the stat sheet looks like Joe is the 3 pt sniper as you say with a 40% rate from 3 while Jones is the slasher with a bad 3 pt shhoting % but over 5 FTs per game.

Overall looks like they like to play small so I expect we go zone with Moses and hope we can find ways to pound the ball inside and make them pay

Wishful thinking about stating the obvious regarding pounding the ball inside. I haven't seen anything that resembles a strategy similar to that since the days of Tom Hammonds, and we've had plenty of opportunities since then to do so. The game has changed a lot since those days, at least for GT, because we apparently don't have a need for those big bodies that like to bang in the paint.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Excited to see how we handle our first road test against another P5 team.

We are a completely different team (especially on defense) without Jose Alvarado. Usher is still not eligible for another month as well....so you're playing us when it is good to get us....