Arkansas

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Mike Anderson was let go and ended up at St. Johns so we hired Eric Musselman from Nevada in the offseason. We still play fairly fast but there isn't as much pressing and trapping like there was under Anderson.

We haven't played a very tough schedule but so far our defense has been terrific, we're #1 in the NCAA in 3 point defense and the most points we've given up is 55. We're a streaky shooting team (either red hot or ice cold) and don't have much size (our starting center is 6'6 but despite that he's been really good so far, granted against mid majors) so we will likely get outrebounded a lot. Isaiah Joe, Mason Jones and Jimmy Whitt (transfer from SMU) are probably one of the better guard collections in the SEC, though Jones has played the 4 this season at 6'5 since Musselman prefers the positionless basketball philosophy instead of the traditional lineup. He is the brother of former Duke player Matt Jones. Because of our size we don't post up much but Jones has been able to use his quickness to score against bigger guys guarding him. He's the type of guy that will score 30+ one game and then 4 the next though.

The key to beating us is probably getting our bigs in foul trouble since we don't have much depth there. We have a 7'3 center transfer from Cal but he is sitting out this year. We only really play about 8 players so we don't stretch out the bench as much as we did under Anderson either. Excited to see how we handle our first road test against another P5 team.

Appreciate the insight. Good luck tonight, but I hope the ball bounces for the good guys tonight ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Mike Anderson was let go and ended up at St. Johns so we hired Eric Musselman from Nevada in the offseason. We still play fairly fast but there isn't as much pressing and trapping like there was under Anderson.

We haven't played a very tough schedule but so far our defense has been terrific, we're #1 in the NCAA in 3 point defense and the most points we've given up is 55. We're a streaky shooting team (either red hot or ice cold) and don't have much size (our starting center is 6'6 but despite that he's been really good so far, granted against mid majors) so we will likely get outrebounded a lot. Isaiah Joe, Mason Jones and Jimmy Whitt (transfer from SMU) are probably one of the better guard collections in the SEC, though Jones has played the 4 this season at 6'5 since Musselman prefers the positionless basketball philosophy instead of the traditional lineup. He is the brother of former Duke player Matt Jones. Because of our size we don't post up much but Jones has been able to use his quickness to score against bigger guys guarding him. He's the type of guy that will score 30+ one game and then 4 the next though.

The key to beating us is probably getting our bigs in foul trouble since we don't have much depth there. We have a 7'3 center transfer from Cal but he is sitting out this year. We only really play about 8 players so we don't stretch out the bench as much as we did under Anderson either. Excited to see how we handle our first road test against another P5 team.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

/

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Without Jose I really do think we depend on zone. Bubba was all matador last game and I expect anyone he matches up against tonight will know that and test him again.

Gohogs didn't say whether they played man or zone but either way I would love to see us go double post / high low offense and see if we can pound it like we did some at the end of last year. If we keep Moses on the perimeter I fully expect they use that man to double Banks so the only way to keep that from immediately happening is have Moses inside his range.

I have no idea why but I have good vibes for tonight.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Thanks for chiming in.

It'll be interesting to see how differently y'all play under Musssss. It's been interesting watching his career progress then tank after the Sac. Kings job. Then watching him scratch and claw his way back. It's actually a pretty incredible story so I hope he does well .. just not tonight. :cool:

gohogs14

Georgia Tech Fan
Without Jose I really do think we depend on zone. Bubba was all matador last game and I expect anyone he matches up against tonight will know that and test him again.

Gohogs didn't say whether they played man or zone but either way I would love to see us go double post / high low offense and see if we can pound it like we did some at the end of last year. If we keep Moses on the perimeter I fully expect they use that man to double Banks so the only way to keep that from immediately happening is have Moses inside his range.

I have no idea why but I have good vibes for tonight.

Arkansas plays exclusively man, Musselman spent most of his coaching career in the NBA which barely plays zone at all so I'm not even sure he'd know how to coach it lol.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Anybody in the area, please come on down to McCamish tonight! Let’s help our guys put on a show!

I hope Devoe and Banks can keep their league and nation leading streaks going, and I hope we get something from Bubba.

We need in the paint Moses instead of on the perimeter Moses.

And we need a lot more intensity and hustle than we saw at the cesspool.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
It's early, but BPI is a data point:

RK TEAM CONF W-L BPI RK SOS RK SOR RK
22 NC State ACC 5-1 22 340 117
36 Arkansas SEC 5-0 36 341 46
72 Georgia Tech ACC 2-1 72 20 56
104 Georgia SEC 5-0 104 33 37

A win at NC State on the road may prove to be a "good win". Our Strength of Schedule will probably only go down (harder) over the next few weeks with a road trip to Lexington.

Georgia is 5-0 against the 33rd hardest schedule and has a BPI of 104, while Arkansas is 5-0 against the 341st ranked schedule and they have a BPI of 36. Go figure?

I hope to see Banks ball out tonight. He's got a meaningful height advantage. ACC refs?

/

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Does Alvarado make that much of a difference on the offensive side? Right now it looks like there’s literally no plan on offense. The same it’s been since Pastner has been here. Will Usher provide significant help for outside shooting? It looks like everyone is unsure of themselves. With Alvarado out, Parham is being asked to do way too much. Our offensive strategy looks to be pass around the perimeter until either Devoe or Parham drives to the paint and throws up a shot. Banks has basically been a non factor on the offensive side for 2 games.