Applying the Stanford Model

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I know that, but the statement still stands. Stanford's entrance requirements for athletes are quite high. (I graduated from both Tech and Stanford.)

Higher entrance requirements for athletes than Tech's, but many posters on here don't want to acknowledge that fact.

Some years ago someone at Stanford put together a process for national recruiting. Stanford recognized that academics required them to cast a broader net. I remember reading it, but I have no idea how to find it now. The point people are missing is that we should be emulating Stanford's national recruiting approach. It's a national institution, not a local or regional University of (geography). So is Tech.

Collins is right that Tech and ATL have a lot to sell to the right candidates, but Tech needs to be a national sell and not exclusively a Georgia or SE sell. I have been a Collins fan since he was on O'Leary's staff, but the 404 thing can be taken too far.

Milwaukee

Banned
3 out of 5 Georgia Tech graduates are millionaires...........because they don’t give much to athletics.

That's a completely false narrative we're pushing...but don't get me wrong I LOVE IT because it pisses off the factories. I know 30+ GT grads and those numbers are just something we laugh about. When the bill comes for drinks they all point at each other and say "Let the millionaire get it". lol. But at the end of the day a GT degree is worth a fortune in more ways that one imo, not just money. I wish I would've gotten my undergrad at Tech tbh.

Milwaukee

Banned
Higher entrance requirements for athletes than Tech's, but many posters on here don't want to acknowledge that fact.

Some years ago someone at Stanford put together a process for national recruiting. Stanford recognized that academics required them to cast a broader net. I remember reading it, but I have no idea how to find it now. The point people are missing is that we should be emulating Stanford's national recruiting approach. It's a national institution, not a local or regional University of (geography). So is Tech.

Collins is right that Tech and ATL have a lot to sell to the right candidates, but Tech needs to be a national sell and not exclusively a Georgia or SE sell. I have been a Collins fan since he was on O'Leary's staff, but the 404 thing can be taken too far.

You're right and wrong. There's no microscope at Stanford when they build a power. When we have success at Tech the southeastern factories throw a lot of money at lawyers and leagues to look deep behind the curtain to attempt to put a stop to it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Right Stanford is pristine.

Hell to be honest Frisco is the the most beautiful city I’ve been to in the states and I’ve been to a lot of cities.

There are PARTS of Friso that are beautiful. I go there every fall. Gorgeous city in the touristy areas. There are also parts of the downtown area that are comparable to the Staten Island landfill....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
3 out of 5 Georgia Tech graduates are millionaires...........because they don’t give much to athletics.

Most Tech alumni are millionaires. I am. Why? I did it saving 10% of my salary starting with my very first job. I’m 59 now and I can give $25,000 a year and never put a dent in the principal. (I also teach and have two pensions.)

If the AA would create a development office and tap into this ... they would probably rain money. UT has so much coming in from alumni they can’t process it all.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
3869DE34-35D5-4A5C-9D8D-45B31CBE3054.jpeg
I mean in less than a year they have raised $85 million in a little over a year of a 3 year $125 million goal.

http://www.atfund.gatech.edu/athletics-initiative-2020-0

There is an endowment component that I personally feel needs to increase substantially.

It’s not out of the possibilities that GT could have acquire a huge war chest in a relative quick amount of time without even having to rely on a huge revenue stream. Although not ideal.

http://gtathl.com/2020/

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

I completely agree. Stanford's football recruits rank at the bottom of their regular student body. Imo, they are typically 300+ or so points shy of regular students on SAT. Ours are probably 350++ or so (one of highest differentials in CFB). Both programs are far higher than the D-1 average with Stanford coming in at or near 1100 and GT at or near 1000. Hence, both need to recruit nationally/internationally. $$$--we better find some or the juice will sour.

Imo, the tipping point for $ and perception momentum, is the 2021 season record---much like 1989.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta is an absolute dump unless you're in the right neighborhood, but that's just like every major city including Palo Alto. I wouldn't move to ATL even for a 60K pay raise it's that bad.
Hey, hold on there cowboy, that line is how Uga recruited against us for years. I thought CGC was turning Atlanta into Mecca for recruits.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta is a good looking city as well. As far as major cities are concerned Atlanta is very attractive. Just like any major city there’s good there’s bad, but overall Atlanta is scenic. The canopy of trees alone separates the city from others. I love Atlanta.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta is a good looking city as well. As far as major cities are concerned Atlanta is very attractive. Just like any major city there’s good there’s bad, but overall Atlanta is scenic. The canopy of trees alone separates the city from others. I love Atlanta.
I like Atlanta better than Houston, Dallas, St. Louis and a few other cities.

Boston might be my favorite city. But I do love me some Big Apple.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This still doesn't address the main difference between Stanford and Tech: Tech is a technical school. Tech's main comparison isn't Stanford; it's MIT.

Everything else that sets Tech apart is fixable; we can raise more money, we can change recruiting resources, we can copy the "Stanford Model" in many ways. What we can't do - because there is no-one interested in doing it - is change the character of the place. That means we really need an innovative program to find the recruits who want to come to Tech. Imo, more resources are only the first step. We'll see if we can do this.

Animal02

Banned

They can afford to have higher entrance requirements because they have a much broader degree offering......
I agree completely about the national recruiting.....been saying that for two decades.