Applying the Stanford Model

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fact
It is harder to recruit players into gt.

With that gt cant afford to recruit players and have them attrite - due to medical, grades, transfer, graduate early , quit.
Number facts:
We have had one 4 stretch were we lost 47 player w most being for transfer, graduate early, quit. We have averaged 8 leaves per year.

This year rs seniors are staying and being leaders (morgans, lee, cottrell, curry(?)).

Maybe this will be a start of smaller recruiting classes w players staying for a chance to have good year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do the free student tickets cause higher ranked players to want to go to Stanford?

Do recriuts care that gtaa is 220,000,000 in facilities debt and still raising 200,000,000 for more building ?

No and No.

Yes, the dollar comparison makes gt's so called """well off alumni """ look like a bunch of penny pinching failures. The long nose look down at uga alumns is weak sause.

Gtaa can't make pricipal payments and operate a football program. Gtaa pays 12,000,000 per year in interest only while having alumni donations of 11,000,000.

Let's hope we have coaches that win while making gt fun.

Keeping players for full period and adding lots of fired up fans are the 2 measurable and trackable items which will improve recruiting.

Also , hope we can get $$$$$$ for truely great ast coaches .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Do the free student tickets cause higher ranked players to want to go to Stanford?

Do recriuts care that gtaa is 220,000,000 in facilities debt and still raising 200,000,000 for more building ?

No and No.

Yes, the dollar comparison makes gt's so called """well off alumni """ look like a bunch of penny pinching failures. The long nose look down at uga alumns is weak sause.

Gtaa can't make pricipal payments and operate a football program. Gtaa pays 12,000,000 per year in interest only while having alumni donations of 11,000,000.

Let's hope we have coaches that win while making gt fun.

Keeping players for full period and adding lots of fired up fans are the 2 measurable and trackable items which will improve recruiting.

Also , hope we can get $$$$$$ for truely great ast coaches .

It's not the free student tickets. It's the fact that Stanford pays top dollar for assistants and staff as well as infrastructure. We only recently decided to add extra recruiting staff, and with the additions, we still had the smallest staff in the ACC. If we want to win, we've got to equip ourselves to win. That takes money. Stanford has plenty. We don't.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s actually pretty attainable for GT. Maybe not 500M but an athletic endowment is not far reaching.
We need to get out from under our huge debt pile before we start worrying about athletic endowments. According to the Stanford Daily article, Stanford's endowment throws off $22 - 27.5M per year. They use this to support a huge athletic program (e.g., 31 student/alumni athletes in last Olympics, almost double the next largest US university; 23 straight Leerfield Directors Cups).

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We need to get out from under our huge debt pile before we start worrying about athletic endowments. According to the Stanford Daily article, Stanford's endowment throws off $22 - 27.5M per year. They use this to support a huge athletic program (e.g., 31 student/alumni athletes in last Olympics, almost double the next largest US university; 23 straight Leerfield Directors Cups).

Do both.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We’re at the proverbial fork in the road. It will be interesting what our leadership decides to do.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like we all agree that what Tech needs most is more money for athletics.

From what I've seen the past 7 months. Tech has an AD and a HC for Football that get it. I've been asked more for money/donations/support the first 6 months of this year than the past 6 years combined (at least it feels like it). Personally, I'm giving what I can. Change takes time, but I think the ship is turning in the right direction.

The new President of the Institute, a lot has been speculated if he's a athletics guy or not... well I think it's TStan and CGC's job to sell him on the value of athletics. To me, that is what Stanford understands that Tech doesn't. That excellence- as an institution, as a community, for individual students, isn't measured by a single attribute. Test scores, grades, academic rankings are great. But Tech should strive to be ELITE and competitive in every phase of intra-University competition. That, every time Calvin Johnson was on TV with Georgia Tech under his name that was free national TV advertising.

Before some know-it-all comments that the Pres. can't do anything because the BOR sets the contribution % Tech can make to athletics and the GTAA sinks or swims on its own financially:
I do know that. But Tech the I is swimming in financial resources, via the GTRI, endowment, Roll Call, etc. I'm confident there could be ways to boost athletics through indirect leveraging of those resources if we wanted to do it. E.g. redeveloping Peters park into a park. Which would benefit the Institute as a whole and not be specifically for athletics. But let the GTAA sell $$$ premium tailgating spots there on game day. Including a comment with Roll Call- Also contribute to GT athletics! (link). Encourage the GTRI to partner with the GTAA on being at the forefront of biomedical/biomechanical technology... those are just a few half-baked ideas I had before my coffee kicked in. Surely the big brains on the Hill can come up with something.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like we all agree that what Tech needs most is more money for athletics.

From what I've seen the past 7 months. Tech has an AD and a HC for Football that get it. I've been asked more for money/donations/support the first 6 months of this year than the past 6 years combined (at least it feels like it). Personally, I'm giving what I can. Change takes time, but I think the ship is turning in the right direction.

The new President of the Institute, a lot has been speculated if he's a athletics guy or not... well I think it's TStan and CGC's job to sell him on the value of athletics. To me, that is what Stanford understands that Tech doesn't. That excellence- as an institution, as a community, for individual students, isn't measured by a single attribute. Test scores, grades, academic rankings are great. But Tech should strive to be ELITE and competitive in every phase of intra-University competition. That, every time Calvin Johnson was on TV with Georgia Tech under his name that was free national TV advertising.

Before some know-it-all comments that the Pres. can't do anything because the BOR sets the contribution % Tech can make to athletics and the GTAA sinks or swims on its own financially:
I do know that. But Tech the I is swimming in financial resources, via the GTRI, endowment, Roll Call, etc. I'm confident there could be ways to boost athletics through indirect leveraging of those resources if we wanted to do it. E.g. redeveloping Peters park into a park. Which would benefit the Institute as a whole and not be specifically for athletics. But let the GTAA sell $$$ premium tailgating spots there on game day. Including a comment with Roll Call- Also contribute to GT athletics! (link). Encourage the GTRI to partner with the GTAA on being at the forefront of biomedical/biomechanical technology... those are just a few half-baked ideas I had before my coffee kicked in. Surely the big brains on the Hill can come up with something.
Well said.
From hills view point :
Significantly
The endowment is up ,
Resesrch $$ $$$ up,
AA donations up
Full paying out of state applications are up
Get in gt and u get out of gt - no body flunks out.
Gtaa is a small budget item.
Gtaa is in giant debt hole and is an acc donations bottom deweller.

With Research the hill is on easy street.

Begging would be a good start if you want the new prez do extra for gtaa.