Apparel Issue

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, in terms of the quality of GT-themed athletic clothing that has been made available for purchase by GT fans, I don’t believe “the Adidas stuff is miles better than Russell ever was.”

I still have a number of Russell GT coaches polos, athletic sweatshirts, sweat pants, jackets, etc. that I have purchased as a GT fan through the course of many years. They all have worn well through many washes due to the quality of their materials and workmanship. At least so far as I can determine, the quality of the Adidas clothing that has been made available for sale to GT fans thus far is of a similarly high level.

But this is not to overlook the fact that Adidas is “miles better than Russell” when it comes to outfitting GT’s athletes and coaches in practice clothing, game uniforms, and shoes. The diversity of the clothing, the shoes, and the total monetary value of such to the overall GT athletic program is certainly miles better, and is likely of equal if not better quality.

Perhaps the biggest difference, to me as a “regular ‘ol GT sports fan,” is the fact that Russell never made and sold athletic shoes. Adidas has historically been and continues to be strong in this area, and this is true for the athletes, the coaches, and the fans.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Well, in terms of the quality of GT-themed athletic clothing that has been made available for purchase by GT fans, I don’t believe “the Adidas stuff is miles better than Russell ever was.”

I still have a number of Russell GT coaches polos, athletic sweatshirts, sweat pants, jackets, etc. that I have purchased as a GT fan through the course of many years. They all have worn well through many washes due to the quality of their materials and workmanship. At least so far as I can determine, the quality of the Adidas clothing that has been made available for sale to GT fans thus far is of a similarly high level.

But this is not to overlook the fact that Adidas is “miles better than Russell” when it comes to outfitting GT’s athletes and coaches in practice clothing, game uniforms, and shoes. The diversity of the clothing, the shoes, and the total monetary value of such to the overall GT athletic program is certainly miles better, and is likely of equal if not better quality.

Perhaps the biggest difference, to me as a “regular ‘ol GT sports fan,” is the fact that Russell never made and sold athletic shoes. Adidas has historically been and continues to be strong in this area, and this is true for the athletes, the coaches, and the fans.

Aside from the negatives of not being associated with brands of the "Big Three," the primary issue with Russell was that they had zero incentive to innovate or go the extra mile in anything once they decided to exit the college space with a few years left in the contract. They were running out the clock, and it showed in uniform designs and retail footprint. It's ironic to hear some people complain about adidas having "only 40-50 items" when the 2-3 years prior Russell definitely had fewer than 10 items in retail.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Lets be real for a minute........we are such a small tiny speck in the sports world of Adidas. I want that hat too, but I totally get why Adidas hasn't bent over backwards to get them ready for us. The amount of them they will sell is so insignificant to Adidas' bottom line that it ain't high on the priority list.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Lets be real for a minute........we are such a small tiny speck in the sports world of Adidas. I want that hat too, but I totally get why Adidas hasn't bent over backwards to get them ready for us. The amount of them they will sell is so insignificant to Adidas' bottom line that it ain't high on the priority list.

Not true. We are only 1/12 P5 Adidas schools. We will continue to get the latest & greatest.
If look at other schools. They are not getting all of the on-field as well something Nike & Under Amour does a lot better. We have to remember this is our 1st yr with them. Be patient

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Not true. We are only 1/12 P5 Adidas schools. We will continue to get the latest & greatest.
If look at other schools. They are not getting all of the on-field as well something Nike & Under Amour does a lot better. We have to remember this is our 1st yr with them. Be patient
I want my hat. I don’t have patience when I see thinks I want that aren’t that hard to make.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I called the GT bookstore. The baseball hat with the golden “T” was supposed to be delivered in mid April. They have no idea when delivery will happen. I know TStan discussed on his podcast - but I can’t believe it takes this long and this many delays.
Hahaha typical

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Apparel companies have partnerships with factories overseas that manufacture gear to the apparel company's specifications. They are also often booked several seasons out ... for example, many of the factories are already cranking on winter fashions, which is why you see sweaters start showing up in August at the Gap.

Point being, even though we signed the apparel deal last year, Adidas couldn't just tell their factories, "DROP WHAT YOU'RE MAKING AND START SEWING TOGETHER THESE GEORGIA TECH HOODIES IN THIS GOLD-COLORED FABRIC THAT YOU DON'T HAVE."

Designing a cool hoodie is one thing - but getting the design and materials to the factory is another. It takes time.
Wait... I thought our Pres brought all the manufacturing back to the US???

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I get that some folks like Adidas and "understand apparel"/supply chain or whatever, but not selling the primary baseball hat is a stupid ball drop.

Louisville and Miami have a ton more apparel than us. Our stock looks comparable to Nebraska, which is fine company, and I guess it's good that we arent Rutgers (whose Adidas site is a dead link) but we are not being marketed like a flagship.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve posted before about this but every time I make it to Atlanta I stop by the bookstore ready to spend $300-$400 bucks on new hats and the updated gold shirts for my GT family of four. Needless to say the cash is still in my travel bag. My excitement from the Adidas switch is totally evaporated. I see all the videos from this site yet can’t get my hands on any of them. Eventually someone will get my money I guess. I’ve spent more money on Braves gear lately only because it’s available.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes we are one of fifteen P5 Adidas schools but they are also the provider of gear for most of the world's major soccer clubs, the NHL, and many other sporting teams. When you step back and view the forest we are one small tree in it. Like I said.....I want that hat too but I get it.